+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Weight Control

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    ^^^^

Cooking at home is a great idea, and that doesnt mean anything prepackaged or frozen. A while back I really got into label reading, and it pretty much disgusted me out of eating prepackaged food (except bagel bites, love those things). Sodium and fat calories are insanely high in those foods, as well as fast food. Its real easy to chop a couple veggies and some chicken and fry it all up, or throw something on the grill and bake a potato.

welp guys I have started my quest to become in better shape. I am back on the atkins full force and in the induction phase, this is my second go around with this diet. It worked last time, I was at 300 pounds and got down to 209. Right now I am at 245 so I am hoping to get to 225 by march 2 because I am going to florida for spring break. I bought a membership at the gym and ran for 10 minutes biked for 10 minutes today. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow to get my blood tested so I can go on accutane. My acne never seems to go completely away so I decided to try accutane.

Lifestyle change. Atkins is more of a fad plus eating bacon/beef etc... is not too healthy. Just reduce your calorie intake each day.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Yeah if you read more into Atkins its not the best. I have two points about it... First, its not healthy. It is specifically depriving your body of a need so it eats itself in other areas to provide energy and nutrients. Second, there was a study done on Atkins vs healthy/low fat diets, and Atkins gave the quicker weight loss but healthy eating and Atkins were even after six months. Atkins is also more likely to have the weight come back. Youre better off not aiming for a date (spring break), doing the body good, and allowing it to naturally lose the weight. In the long run (next years spring break) you will be better off.

Yeah, I have to agree with UxKa. Just start eating healthier, don't go on those diets that gain you weight back so you have to come back. On a healthy diet, you can keep eating the same without help and be healthier in the long run, as well.

Fuck it all. Drink plenty of beer, eat at McDonalds three times a day, and take up smoking. You'll probably outlive everyone who has a fucking heart attack while jogging.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

workout

I found that having a buddy that went to the gym with me actually hindered my going to the gym. If they cancelled I would just put it off, whereas when i worked out like crazy I would just go whenever I felt like it... because I had a 24 hour gym membership which is really nice because it gives you opportunity to go whenever. I know that it's hard to get to the gym sometimes with schedule and now with the cold well at least in MI, it's just easier to do it in your own home. So find something you kind of like and just go with it! I actually found that I gained weight eating a bunch of small meals regardless of calories and that my body reacted better to one big meal a day.. and if needed a small snack or two..

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    Smoke weed.
    Should definately help weight gain.

one thing you might consider is working out with some sort of motivating factor besides just looking slimmer. i mean, something like sports or another physical activity.

i think it's easier to workout when you're trying to get back into basketball shape, or you're taking up rock climbing, or you want to run in an upcoming marathon, etc.

with regards to food, start with your grocery shopping and your fridge. go grocery shopping when you're NOT hungry and stock up with healthy snacks and sweet fruits. don't have too many temptations on hand.

also, most importantly IMO, don't go cold turkey on some guilty pleasures. if you absolutely love chocolate chip cookies......don't try to give them up forever. if you relapse and have a little binge (likely when you're giving up some guilt ridden snack), you'll get down on yourself and get discouraged. try rewarding yourself once a week with a few cookies if you keep up with good nutrition. go ahead and go to Mcdonalds once a month if you stick to your workout schedule for three weeks. i really don't think that those "bad" things will kill you or hurt you as long as you're resposible with them.

it's all about positive reinforcement and goals
    Last edited by Matt; 01-18-2007 at 12:01 AM.

i think drinking 10+ beers a day in college perma fucked my metabolism. i swim a mile day, try to eat healthy, and drink way less beer and pop than i used to, and i still cant get down to my ideal weight. although i'll admit i'll be good for a month, and then i'll get lazy, take it easy, and then pick it up again, so maybe it isnt just my metabolism's fault.

+ Reply to Thread