+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up

Global Warming

Ive been meaning to see that. What most people dont realize is that enough global warming actually will trigger an ice age which for human civilization will be much worse than the warming. I dont know if the movie covers it, but it has to do with the atlantic currents and when the ice in the north pole melts too much it introduces too much fresh water into the current.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UxKa
    Ive been meaning to see that. What most people dont realize is that enough global warming actually will trigger an ice age which for human civilization will be much worse than the warming. I dont know if the movie covers it, but it has to do with the atlantic currents and when the ice in the north pole melts too much it introduces too much fresh water into the current.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by UxKa
    What I didn't realize is that the whole Greenland melting theory is actually happening, and much faster than I expected about 6 years ago when I first heard the theory. Greenland melts 3 times more than it did 3 years ago. That's crazy. If that north atlantic drift shuts down like it did in the ice age...look out. Most of Europe is at a higher latitude than Siberia. Not to mention the sea level rise. They talked about how it would rise the ocean level 20 feet. That eliminates over 100 million people in cities like Shanghi, Bejing, New Oreans, Miami, New York, SF, Calcutta, and on and on.

I always knew about the consiquences, but never realized how close we are to that happening.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Welcome to Detroit...Oregon. Home to Detroit Lake and nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    I just watched "An Inconvenient Truth" last night. I think this movie is a MUST SEE. I'm sure a lot of people will not watch it because they don't like Al Gore, but that would be a huge mistake. Like him or not as a politician, he is a good speaker in this movie and a very intellegent guy. The movie is basically about Global Warming, and the statistics, graphs, pictures, etc are mind blowing really. Anyone that doesn't watch this because of Gore is basically being ignorant. I believed in global warming before seeing this, but the acceleration that is taking place even staggers the scientists studying this stuff. There is one scene were Gore talks about losing the election and how it changed his life (from running for office to focusing on helping the earth), but there really isn't any other politics involved. He doesn't refer to any party affiliations or anything.

Heck, even if you already believe it's a problem, you can learn a lot and see cool images of the earth from space, etc. There are actually a couple funny parts too.
    Good review. I completely agree. Al Gore himself may do a little too much posturing in the video, but his experiences are real, the science is real, and the conclusions based on the actual data are clear and easy to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    What I didn't realize is that the whole Greenland melting theory is actually happening, and much faster than I expected about 6 years ago when I first heard the theory. Greenland melts 3 times more than it did 3 years ago. That's crazy. If that north atlantic drift shuts down like it did in the ice age...look out. Most of Europe is at a higher latitude than Siberia. Not to mention the sea level rise. They talked about how it would rise the ocean level 20 feet. That eliminates over 100 million people in cities like Shanghi, Bejing, New Oreans, Miami, New York, SF, Calcutta, and on and on.

I always knew about the consiquences, but never realized how close we are to that happening.
    From what I saw, the next ice age would happen before the sea level ever rises 20 feet. I did a quick google and found this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatecha...083419,00.html

I didnt thoroughly read it, but from skimming it seems to be what I saw a special on. Sorry I dont remember exactly where... Discovery and Natl Geographic channels are on almost 24/7 in my house so I forget exact sources after a while (I just flip between the two when no notable sporting event is on). Basically the Gulf Stream and larger aspects of it keep the Earth warm but fresh water messes it all up and cools the Earth down. Ice caps melting releases fresh water into the oceans circulation. The special I saw explained how this caused the last ice age. Of course its all scientific speculation, but it was convincing to me and went along with global warming... it guess just pointed out that the warming isnt the true fear. The special eventually showed a map of the US and what would be frozen, and we would be living in Missouri at best to live like Canadians do.

The 20 foot thing was seperate from the gradual warming and ice caps melting. They showed how as the ice melts, the water cuts down thru the 100 foot thick glaciers and makes a pocket of water between the land and ice. Eventually the whole section breaks off and slides down the water pocker into the ocean. It has happened recently in Antartica (not to that extent though), and could happen again. If it did there could be enough ice to raise the water level 20 feet. But that was separate from the fresh water issue.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Global Warming

Splitting this off from the Movie Review thread.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    One thing Gore doesn't focus on as much is the possibility that global warming would be -worse- if not for particulates -- the visible crap that gets emitted when you burn something along with the invisible greenhouse gases. In fact, he states with pride about how scientists can see the impact of a clean air act he helped pass in the ice flows. We've done a much better job of controlling visible effects of burning fossil fuels because they harm our lungs, impede our view and smell, etc. But cleaning the air of that smog and smoke gives us less sunscreen and may actually make the global warming problem worse.

Wouldn't particulates absorbe the suns rays and still be in the atmosphere? What particulates are you referring to exactly? They block the sun from hitting the earth, but wouldn't they still warm the atmosphere? Warming the atmoshpere results in higher moisture content and water vapor is a green house gas itself. I haven't really studied this since meteorology class in college though.

I started a thread I didnt even start. Wheres Jick with his 'MOD POWER' lol

+ Reply to Thread