+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Report: Bonds failed a Drug test last season

Report: Bonds failed a Drug test last season

Interesting but not shocking....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2727325

NEW YORK -- Barry Bonds failed a test for amphetamines last season and originally blamed it on a teammate, the Daily News reported Thursday.

When first informed of the positive test, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from teammate Mark Sweeney's locker, the New York City newspaper said, citing several unnamed sources.

"I have no comment on that," Bonds' agent Jeff Borris told the Daily News on Wednesday night.

"Mark was made aware of the fact that his name had been brought up," Sweeney's agent Barry Axelrod told the Daily News. "But he did not give Barry Bonds anything, and there was nothing he could have given Barry Bonds."

Bonds, who has always maintained he never has tested positive for illegal drug use, is already under investigation for lying about steroid use.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether the 42-year-old Bonds perjured himself when he testified in 2003 in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid distribution case that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. The San Francisco Giants slugger told a 2003 federal grand jury that he believed his trainer Greg Anderson had provided him flaxseed oil and arthritic balm, not steroids.

Under baseball's amphetamines policy, which went into effect last season, players are not publicly identified for a first positive test. A second positive test for amphetamines results in a 25-game suspension. The first failed steroids test costs a player 50 games.

Bonds did not appeal the positive test, which made him subject to six drug tests by MLB over the next six months, according to the Daily News.

"We're not in a position to confirm or deny, obviously," MLB spokesman Rich Levin told the Daily News.

According to the newspaper, Sweeney learned of the Bonds' positive test from Gene Orza, chief operating officer of the Major League Baseball Players Association. Orza told Sweeney, the paper said, that he should remove any troublesome substances from his locker and should not share said substances. Sweeney said there was nothing of concern in his locker, according to the Daily News' sources.

An AP message for Sweeney was not immediately returned late Wednesday.

The Giants are still working to finalize complicated language in the slugger's $16 million, one-year contract for next season -- a process that has lasted almost a month since he agreed to the deal Dec. 7 on the last day of baseball's winter meetings.

Classic sociopath. He blames another team mate for his failed test. His trainer sits in jail, others go to jail, and Bonds gets rewarded with 16 mill from the Giants. Unbelievable.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Apparently he cleared Sweeney of blame yesterday.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    people hop on bonds and draw up long editorials as to why mcgwire deserves to be in the HOF. The press is funny.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I say Bonds deserves HOF. He might be a sociopath (Ty Cobb, anyone?), but his numbers are unbeleivable. Even in the steroid and live ball era, replete with sore armed pitchers who have a strike zone the size of a dixie cup to work with, Bonds has been the only guy to go over 600 home runs.
    The numbers are just too impressive if you axe me.
    About McGuire, I Think he's at least as good a ball player as Harmon Killebrew, who hit 573 homers (McGuire had 583). If Killebrew was in, why not McGuire?
    Yes, I think Bonds did "roids, and yes, he is about as nice as throat cancer, but he has played out of this world baseball, and unless you keep them ALL out, you can't keep him out.
    And yes, that would pave the way for Palmeiro to be in. Eddie Murray, anyone? (Not roids, just similar careers).
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    and unless you keep them ALL out, you can't keep him out.
    thats basically my point.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

You can quote me on this:

Barry Bonds will try to commit suicide sometime within the next two years.

He's been nearly untouchable all this time... a "Teflon slugger". Combined with a galactic ego, if his world comes crashing down in shame, Bonds will attempt to take his life.

I'm going to agree with Goshboots.

Bonds really, really, deserves to be in the Hall of Fame along with McGwire. Steroids or not, very few can pull off what they've accomplished.

yawn@steroids

I honestly don't see the big deal with roids. Who cares if it's cheating? Since their creation, mankind has lied, cheated, stole; did everything they could to get an advantage over everyone else. People cheat in school and work, businesses (sometimes) cheat customers, politicians (sometimes) cheat citizens. Shit, Jesus cheated and turned water into wine! There's a lot of things worse in this world than Jason Giambi pumping chemicals in his ass.

And just like Barry Bonds said last year: "Before you point the finger at me, check your own closet." (or something like that)

And since there is no such thing as a clean closet........

+ Reply to Thread