Page 2 of 23
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoying sports cliches

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMyers
    Any video of this?

It's #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn

-"Giving 110%"
    That is my all time leader right there. I HATE that statement. How a player can give more than maximum effort (which %100 stands for...is beyond me). Why not %200 or %1,000 percent while you are at it?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    The scary part is that they're missing some of the best Bobby Knight shit because it's too controversial:

- "We put his dick in a vise. I twisted it. We stuck a red-hot poker up his ass and poured hot water down his mouth and I told him if he promised to play well, we'd quit all that."

- "If rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."

One I really hate, which isn't really a cliche, would be when players are interviewed and they say "you know" about a dozen times. why tell us something we already know. Be insightful. Or if you are telling us something we don't know...then don't say "you know" every 5 seconds.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

"you know" isn't particularly a sports thing, unfortunately, y'know.

The one that gets me is people talking about how it's a "positive thing" when they lose. NEWSFLASH YOU FUCKERS -- YOU LOST!!!!! DEAL WITH IT!!!!!

Calling someone "a leader on and off the court" gets to me too.

Blog Entries
    "He's a guy that just makes plays".
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    That is my all time leader right there. I HATE that statement. How a player can give more than maximum effort (which %100 stands for...is beyond me). Why not %200 or %1,000 percent while you are at it?
    word word

Not only is it used in sports but its even used in my class...

Hearing 110% always reminds me of the classic "11" scene from Spinal Tap, which doesn't bug me much:

The most annoying cliche to me for the last two days has been the bashing of Nick Saban.
    Yes, sportswriters are now the Moral Police.
    I'm sorry, 32 Mill for 8 years to coach college, or, well, the same money to coach in the NFL and deal with the shit the pros thow at you is an easy choice for me.
    Look at the mess that is NFL Player: Tank Johnson, Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens, and this Denver Broncos player getting shot at a nightclub at 3 AM.
    Leave Saban alone already, I don't understand how pro coaches don't go batty after a year or two and kill everyone they know.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

I don't have a problem with him leaving, but why did he say the media shouldn't be asking him about leaving because he's definately staying? Leave if you want, but his quotes a couple weeks ago seem pretty shady now.

+ Reply to Thread