+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoying sports cliches

Blog Entries

Annoying sports cliches

I'm sure we can come up with about 500 more of them, some of these make me cringe.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...-cliches_x.htm

Sportscasters: Ditch the cliches

Updated 12/22/2006 4:30 PM ET

In the generous spirit of the holidays, sportscasters should give TV viewers a break with the sports clichés. Some overused expressions that should take a seat on the bench in 2007:

Alligator arms. This description was cool. At first. Now you hear it every time an NFL receiver pulls up short on a pass to avoid a hit. As in: "Terrell Owens sure had alligator arms on that play."

Time to bring back its more versatile predecessor: "Hearing footsteps." Besides using it for dropped balls, analysts could warn a struggling coach or player was "hearing the footsteps" of their potential replacement.

He/she has to have a great game for his/her team to win. "We really like our people to stay away from this one," says Tony Petitti, executive producer of CBS Sports. "Tell me something I don't know."

Get on the same page. As in, "Allen Iverson and George Karl need to get on the same page." Michael Wilbon, NBA studio analyst for ABC, asks: "What does this even mean?"

The media is blowing this out of proportion. Often used by players when media members accurately quote their previous statements.

That will come back to haunt them. Does a kicker ever miss a short field goal, or extra point, where somebody doesn't trot out this hoary old chestnut?

First, I'd like to thank my Lord and savior. The political correctness police must love hearing this frequent declaration.

Throw under the bus. Another way of saying coaches or players have put the blame on someone other than themselves.

D-Line or O-Line. Whatever happened to saying defensive line or offensive line?

We had a lot of open looks at the basket. Just say your basketball team got open. A lot.

Let me tell you something. So go ahead and tell us already — without the preamble.

You can't win the game (or tournament) here. But you can lose it. Sounds important, really says nothing.

It doesn't get any better than this. Save it for the beer commercials.

He has a swagger about him. Conversely, some young QBs "need more of a swagger."

He's a warrior. NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol is bugged by sportscasters who overplay the "courage" angle when it comes to the achievements of pro athletes.

"To call it courage, when young men and women are laying their lives on the line in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, is silly and pretentious," he says.
    Find a new slant.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was when Bobby Knight went off on a writer who asked him something about having your "game face" on, and knight rips into a series of contorted facial maneuvers to emulate what a "game face" might look like.
    That guy is truly an American Icon.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Blog Entries
    I think the sports cliche that I hate the most is when callers on sports radio say "the last caller stole my thunder". Often that is enough to get me to turn the station immediately.

Others:

-"Giving 110%"
    -"Taking one game at a time"
    -"Don't get caught looking past/ahead"
    -The fetish with the word "football" is annoying too. He's a "football player", or a "football move" or what a great "football game".
    Find a new slant.

If I hear the term "pinning their ears back" one more time....

WHAT A STUPID FUCKING SAYING... and it's become extremely popular with football analysts. And if they say it once, you're sure to hear it at least 10 more times throughout the course of that same game.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Here's a cliche I'm sick of:
    Jim tressel beats Lloyd Carr again

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    I hate when a basketball player is making a lot of shots, they say he is 'strokin it'. Personally, thats something I do alone. Theres a million wrong ways announcers use the word 'penetration' too.

Blog Entries
    Games that are "barnburners", and when guys get dunked on they are given "facials".
    Find a new slant.

I hate it when you're atching a great game, like between the Giants and the Redskins, and the announcer uses that old cliche about "wanting to fuck the quarterback in the ass". I mean, sometimes it can be funny, but other times it can make you spill your beer all over your new crushed velvet smoking jacket.

the best (and most annoying) way for an athlete to avoid really answering any question: "It is what it is".

sorry, sean baligian.

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    One of the funniest things I ever saw was when Bobby Knight went off on a writer who asked him something about having your "game face" on, and knight rips into a series of contorted facial maneuvers to emulate what a "game face" might look like.
    That guy is truly an American Icon.
    Any video of this?

+ Reply to Thread