+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RIP WXYT as it was ?

I guess it doesn't matter to me which station everyone is on. But, I think Jamie and Brady aren't that great, the Big Show sucks (which is why it is changing again), Inferno is great, Sean is great, Stoney and Wojo are very good. In a perfect world I'd have all 3 of them on the same station so they aren't going head to head.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    I guess it doesn't matter to me which station everyone is on. But, I think Jamie and Brady aren't that great, the Big Show sucks (which is why it is changing again), Inferno is great, Sean is great, Stoney and Wojo are very good. In a perfect world I'd have all 3 of them on the same station so they aren't going head to head.
    S&W need to freshen themselves up...They have been the same redundant show over and over for years...

I honestly think Sean's show is the best on detroit sports radio, or detroit radio in general. Stoney and Wojo are awesome as well if they're doing sports radio - I hate their dumb gimmicks such as "What's Your Beef", etc.

Living in Chicago, I don't get to watch many Lions games so I end up streaming the radio feed online. Turns out that my favorite part isn't actually listening to them lose but its switching to the DFN feed after and listening to Sean's postgame.

Like I said, CBS radio wasnt goign to lose the Tigers and Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by theMUHMEshow
    Like I said, CBS radio wasn't going to lose the Tigers and Wings.
    The point of the thread wasn't CBS radio it was 1270, the major super powers in radio are 3 companies, Clear Channel, CBS broadcasting and ABC, so for CBS to keep broadcast rights isn't surprising in a non competitive market. Just because CBS retained rights doesn't mean 1270 can't or won't die. The popular feeling in the radio business before I left for EL Paso was 97.1 was going to become the sports station but due to contract issues with on air talent it would have been costly making it near impossible. However now with Parker, Wilson, McKormick gone from 97.1, and Regner, along with others from 1270 from before the merger/change is possible. I have no inside source on this but it would be logical based on the changes in personnel. I mean the biggest concern at this point is D&D,and can they be moved without losing them or would they fit in on a sports station for now.

I respect your feelings on the issue because it is your job and friends we are talking about but when 2/3 of each station are let go there is reason to believe that major change is imminent. If WKRK gets the Wings and Tigers it means nothing for 1270 other than they may be the back up station when games conflict, which isn't unheard of. If that happens it would indicate to outsiders that 1270 is no longer needed and new format is more likely. It is my opinion that if the flagship for 3 major pro sorts teams is at one station, then they need to be committed to sports F/T for it be successful. .

Clear Channel Detroit

* WDFN-AM
    * WJLB-FM
    * WKQI-FM
    * WLLC-FM
    * WMXD-FM
    * WNIC-FM
    * WXDX-AM

CBS Owned

Detroit

* WKRK
    * WOMC
    * WVMV
    * WWJ (AM)
    * WXYT
    * WYCD-FM

ABC Owned

WJR 760 AM
    WDVD 96.3 FM
    93.1 DOUG FM

WKRK-FM (97.1) could be ready to simulcast Red Wings and Tigers broadcasts.

WDIV-TV Local 4 reported Thursday that WKRK -- which handles Lions games -- had parted ways with weeknight sports talkers Mark Wilson and Rob Parker to make room for the broadcasts beginning with the Wings' New Year's Eve game.

The Channel 4 report would indicate that CBS Radio, WKRK's parent, had maintained rights to Tigers games.

The Tigers are on WXYT-AM (1270), and it was believed only the nighttime games would be simulcast on WKRK, avoiding a conflict with popular afternoon talkers Deminsky and Doyle. WXYT's nighttime signal has been an issue since the Tigers moved from WJR-AM (760) almost six years ago.

CBS Radio officials were unavailable for comment. John Hahn, the Wings' senior director of communications, said a new deal wasn't in place.

Wilson is a former sportscaster on Channel 2. Parker is a columnist for the Detroit News.
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...612290396/1050

Blog Entries
    A rumor on the Mi Buzz Board has Rob Parker heading to New York for a trial run on Cold Pizza.

http://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16207
    Find a new slant.

JS, I would be suprised if I wasnt working at 97.1 (a sports station) next year if that tells you anything. Just a hunch though.

97.1 doesnt have the people to take on all the sports stuff. We already run all their Lions stuff. The guy on the sideline (TO) is from XYT, the guy in the studio during the game (Fithian) is from XYT, the guy running the network is from XYT.

I would LOVE for us to go to 97.1 and I think the city of Detroit would too honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by theMUHMEshow
    JS, I would be suprised if I wasnt working at 97.1 (a sports station) next year if that tells you anything. Just a hunch though.

97.1 doesnt have the people to take on all the sports stuff. We already run all their Lions stuff. The guy on the sideline (TO) is from XYT, the guy in the studio during the game (Fithian) is from XYT, the guy running the network is from XYT.

I would LOVE for us to go to 97.1 and I think the city of Detroit would too honestly.
    I hope you get moved there that would be great for you. I think 97.1 is a smart move. In radio and tv it is better to start over rather than try to re-build. 1270 sadly was re-built or re-tooled too many times to believe that it was a tweak away from success. A new station provides a new attitude, a refreshed feeling of optimism where people can work forward instead of looking back at the carnage.

I think a FM sports station was needed in Detroit and it will push the market further than 1270 ever could have. I just hope the GM and CBS can fully commit to making it work. Perhaps even the competition will raise their bar to make sure they are still players and don't get rolled over, because as it as been said 1130 has been stale at best. I hope that the new station has syndicated night sports programming, I can't stand WDFN's re-broadcast of Pistons games most night.

I wish the best of luck.
    Last edited by JS; 12-30-2006 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    A rumor on the Mi Buzz Board has Rob Parker heading to New York for a trial run on Cold Pizza.

http://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16207
    SAS is taking good care of his boy.

Quote Originally Posted by JS
    SAS is taking good care of his boy.
    Yeah, I saw him on Quite Frankly last night

+ Reply to Thread