I didn't know where to put this thread. I am not surprised but I can't believe that they did things in such as ruthless manner. Not noted in this quote is 1270 also let go two top producers in the last month, and put everybody on notice.

From Gregghenson.com...

I talked to Art Regner last night and while he was surprised that he wasn't renewed by WXYT, he was doing OK. It is always hard to lose a job, especially when you deserved a contract extension, but I all think we know what to got into with this business and you take it in stride. There are a couple of odd situations here, why did Rob Parker report Art's termination before even Art knew and why did the show with the highest ratings in WXYT's history get split up and dumped. Additionally, why didn't Art and Doug ever meet the new General Manager before he was fired? The whole thing stinks and it sounds like there was a ton of politicking going on behind the scenes. Sad, the most talented are cut loose in favor of the loudest. Either way Art will be fine, he's a talented entertainer.

WXYT are not getting the Red Wings and two, they are cutting salary fast under the new General Manager. Salary cuts are a fact of life in radio, especially in Detroit at the moment. Art and Doug are the only credible broadcasters On-Air at WXYT, unfortunately they are also both making $100 plus. Foster is credible but as a journalist. Valenti is too new to the market to have any identity, plus he isn't from Detroit which is a handicap. Cutting them means the station is attempting to save money because it can't sell the station in it's current form. With Homberg out, there is nobody there to defend the sports format and the cuts will only get worse as the new GM guts the station to make it profitable.

You can talk about the 12+ ratings all you want, the Big Show was the only show getting any numbers in the key male 25-54 demographic, this is a cost cutting move if it is true. WDFN while trailing in the 12+ demo is killing WXYT in the key sales demos.

Update: Reliable sources tell me this is true and that the new lineup will be Karsh and Scott Anderson in Midday and The Sports Inferno in Afternoon. I am quite sure Stoney and Wojo aren't worried about WXYT's latest attempt to knock them off their perch.

I think this may also be happening because the new General Manager isn't an "AM radio" guy who believes he can run a syndictaed station and make money in Detroit like they do with music on the FM. The new GM also doesn't have Homberg's tolerance to lose money as he didn't build this folly, Homberg did. The new PD also isn't from Detroit and likely doesn't have any feel for local guys like Regner and Karsch.