+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RIP WXYT as it was ?

lol...Fool killing me.

This is how I see it from the guys I talk to at both stations (DFN and XYT)

Henson was buddies with Art, Maz and Swindell. Hell, he brought Art to XYT when he was PD. Also, he is not a big fan of the Inferno. This is well documented. He was been on our site (sportsinferno.com) starting BS and trolling. (IP checks do wonderful things) making threats to people that work at XYT ect... The fingerprints that he left at XYT are virtually gone. He was brought in to make XYT better than DFN and he failed. No shame in that, Henson BUILT sports talk here in Detroit, but failed when trying to replicate what he created.

Now, he sees a new PD come in and totally change everything. Karsch is the only mainstay that is here from the Henson days pretty much. Hell, we even changed the Logo. He sees our numbers continue to grow, the trends continue to get better and he is bitter ( I honestly do not care if you believe me or not on that. Check the numbers. )

I liked the Big Show and I loved working with Art. But, I am telling you guys when a move like that is made, it isnt because a radio station is falling. One thing Gregg can do is manipulate the average listener because the average listener has no idea what is truly going on. Gregg throws some stuff out there and see if it sticks.

It doesnt matter if you like SI or hate it, they have been Tea Bagging Beligan (a show that I like) for a while now. The Big Show has had their run at Stony and Wojo, it was time for someone else to take their shot.

As for us losing the Tigers and Wings...CBS radio will not lose them so it doesnt really matter. Just more programming for XYT, honestly.

Last thing on Henson. I liked the guy from the few times I met him. However, he likes to create drama back here for some reason. How long has it been since he left Detroit? Yet, he sits on his blog and uses 80% of it about Detroit and Detroit radio?

Fool, call me names and laugh as you will. Believe Henson, he is right on a lot of things. I am just telling you that there is more than what he is saying to the story.

I never really liked any of XYT's shows except the Inferno, which is my favorite sports show. Art had too short a fuse (much like the Book) and he can't take critism from callers, even if the callers are right. Too many times he flies off the handle because of this. I also can't stand their promos either. Whatever happens, I hope the Inferno stays in tact.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    No byline, but it sounds like a high school kid wrote it.

http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs..../-1/COLUMNISTS

Detroit sports radio changing

Look for some major shake-ups in Detroit sports radio in the new year.

Art Regner, one of the signature voices at all-sports-talk WXYT, was fired last week in a cost-cutting move.

The man whose rants are legendary was the best thing going for the station, but the size of his contract made him the most expendable. Regner was one of the original talkers when all-sports radio began in Detroit at WDFN 12 1/2 years ago.

WDFN (1130-AM) and WXYT (1270-AM) are still limping along, leaving us to wonder how much longer the Detroit market can support two sports talkers.

WDFN has gotten stale. Mike Stone and Bob Wojnowski have been together for a decade in afternoon drive and still have the city's franchise sports show.

But WDFN no longer gives sports fans a compelling reason to tune in during the daytime. It's even worse after sunset. Most of Monroe County can't hear the Pistons on their flagship station.

The success of the Detroit Tigers helped WXYT, and the station finally cracked the top 20 in the Arbitron ratings. But WXYT keeps shuffling its schedule.

Effective Jan. 2, mid-day "Sports Inferno" hosts Mike Valenti and Terry Foster move to afternoon drive, replacing the "Big Show." Regner's former partner Doug Karsch is demoted to mid-days and will join Scott (The Gator) Anderson in a pairing of dull and duller.

Foster and Valenti are developing chemistry but lack star power. Their arguments seem forced. Putting them opposite Stone and Wojnowski will be the beginning of the end for the WXYT duo.

The Karsch-Anderson pairing is a mismatch made in hell. Anderson is as boring as all get-out. His Detroit Tiger postgame shows last summer sounded like they came from a member of the Tigers' PR staff. Karsch is as condescending as Gary Danielson was during the years of the horrible "Locker Room" show (with Eli Zaret and Kirk Gibson) on WXYT.

Meanwhile, the Tigers' six-year contract with WXYT has expired. The station grossly overpaid when it bid $50 million to broadcast the Tigers and Red Wings. With Regner gone, one has to wonder how much longer WXYT will remain a sports station. After all, it drew far better ratings a decade ago as a conservative talker.

Closer to home, Toledo's all-sports WLQR (1470-AM) has become a better alternative. The home of the Red Wings, Mud Hens, Tigers (when the Hens aren't playing), Lions and Ohio State suffers from a lack of local programming. Norm Wamer is solid, but he's only on for two hours in the afternoon.

Toledo's WDMN (1520-AM) has now added Detroit Pistons broadcasts with its Toledo Storm play-by-play. Mostly sports WCWA (1230) is left with Bowling Green, Toledo women's basketball and the Cleveland Indians.

The trouble with Detroit sports radio is all the hosts seem the same. All try too hard to sound hip. When former Tiger reliever Larry Sherry died last week, no one talked about him because nobody remembered him.

Detroit sports radio needs an old sage, a Ron Cameron or Denny McLain type, who is a little older, knowledgeable and outspoken. There aren't many of those available so the best move would be to hire Cameron or McLain.
    Well, are you up for the job, Denny?
    Find a new slant.

Can I calmly say that I totally disagree on EVERYTHING...and I mean EVERYTHING he said.

What kind of shit is it where his name isnt listed?

Quote Originally Posted by theMUHMEshow
    What kind of shit is it where his name isnt listed?
    I would say its shit....You know how it is Jason..Another person who is afraid to give his name.....

Now I get to listen to "It is what it is" and "The Inferno"......this is a very good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzle
    Now I get to listen to "It is what it is" and "The Inferno"......this is a very good thing
    I like Sean's show,but have not listened to it for a long time because of SI...Now I get to listen to it!!!!!!

Tell the Inferno to move to mornings on WFDN. Then we'd be all set. Inferno 7-11, Sean 11-2 and Stoney and Wojo 2-6. We don't need Rome anyway.

Or have Sean do mornings and Inferno stay midday. Either way I'd like to see them on WDFN.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Tell the Inferno to move to mornings on WFDN. Then we'd be all set. Inferno 7-11, Sean 11-2 and Stoney and Wojo 2-6. We don't need Rome anyway.

Or have Sean do mornings and Inferno stay midday. Either way I'd like to see them on WDFN.
    Id like to see Sean do 6-10 at xyt...Sorry,not a fan of DFN anymore..I mean yesterday they had Clarence Black doing S&W..Unlistenable

+ Reply to Thread