+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clemens accused of using performance enhancing drugs.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

Clemens accused of using performance enhancing drugs.

Report: Clemens, Tejada named in Grimsley drug case
    ESPN.com news services

LOS ANGELES -- Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Miguel Tejada were among the players that a former major league pitcher accused of using performance-enhancing drugs, according to a federal agent's affidavit, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday on its Web site.
    Buster Olney's blog
    Buster Olney
    This is not going to be fun for Clemens. But I think he probably knew all that, anyway, as he made the decision to take the mound for the Astros in late June.

• For more of Buster Olney's analysis, click here. Insider

The agent for Clemens and Pettitte denied the accusations. Baltimore teammates Brian Roberts, Jay Gibbons and Tejada also were implicated in the sworn statement, the Times said. All three Baltimore players denied the accusations and the team stood by its players in a statement Sunday.

In June, federal agents searched reliever Jason Grimsley's home in Arizona after the pitcher admitted using human growth hormone, steroids and amphetamines. Grimsley was later released by the Arizona Diamondbacks and suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball, and has not played since then.

In a 20-page search warrant affidavit signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, the Times reported, he said Grimsley identified other players who had used drugs. Those names were blacked out when the document was released.

The Times said an anonymous source with access to the document -- minus the crossouts -- let the newspaper see it, but kept the copy. The Times said a second source who had identified the other players provided additional details about the document.

According to the affidavit, the Times said, Grimsley told investigators Clemens and Pettitte "used athletic performance-enhancing drugs."

The affidavit also alleged Grimsley told federal agents that Roberts, Gibbons and Tejada "took anabolic steroids."

On Wednesday, Gibbons told ESPN The Magazine's Amy K. Nelson he had not seen a copy of the affidavit and was told by his agent and other journalists only that his name was on the document. He also said he thought he was named as part of the group Grimsley referred to when discussing amphetamines. "I barely knew [Grimsley]," Gibbons said.

In June, the Orioles' front office held separate meetings with Tejada, Gibbons and Roberts, according to three sources. The context of the conversations was to inform the players that their names were rumored to be on the affidavit, and that they should all consult their lawyers. According to one source in the room, it was simply a forewarning, and no other intimate information related to the affidavit was shared.

Gibbons said that all questions the media had would likely be referred to his lawyer.

"I know it'll make me only look more guilty, but I have to protect myself," Gibbons said earlier this week. "I don't have to protect anybody else. This is my livelihood."

Orioles vice president Jim Duquette, also reached at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday, said he had seen only a redacted version of the document, but he was aware the three players were known to be on the list.

Novitzky also was the lead investigator in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative probe. Two BALCO officials and Barry Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, served jail time after guilty pleas in that investigation.

Grimsley has complained to friends, the Times said, that federal agents attributed statements to him that he did not make.

"I'm told he has denied saying all of this," Randy Hendricks, who represents Clemens and Pettitte, told The Associated Press on Saturday night. "It's an agent's recollection about a conversation he had about conjecture."

"I've grown weary of having to defend [Clemens] from innuendo and conjecture about every six months for the last several years when he's complied with all of the rules and regulations," Hendricks said. "Andy is just surprised and stunned, and has no knowledge of any such activity."

Clemens and Pettitte pitch for Houston. The Astros won 5-4 at Atlanta on Saturday night.

Tejada, Gibbons and Roberts had left the clubhouse in Boston after Baltimore's 5-4 victory Saturday night when an AP reporter sought comment.

"I don't pay attention to what [Grimsley said]," Tejada told The (Baltimore) Sun. "I know that I've never had a problem with that. I know that I've never used that and I know I am clean.

"I don't worry about anybody who puts me in that stuff. I'll get checked out for anybody, any time, any moment -- whenever they want."

Gibbons told The Sun: "I have passed every test administered by Major League Baseball over all the years. And I am not going to dignify these claims and accusations with any further response."

Roberts echoed his teammates' comments.

"His accusations are ridiculous," Roberts told The Sun. "We've had steroid testing, and I've taken all the tests. There is no point in getting into verbal wars. That's really all there is to say."

Orioles executive Mike Flanagan said the team supported Tejada, Gibbons and Roberts and wouldn't comment on the matter further.

"Our players have addressed the accusations quite strongly and we support them," Orioles excutive vice president Mike Flanagan said in a statement. "We have not seen the affidavit and therefore will not comment on it further."

Along with the federal probe, baseball hired former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell to investigate the use of steroids.

All major league players are tested at least twice a year for banned drugs. There is no test for HGH, but it is banned by baseball.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2609002
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

They'll all be cleared. Grimsley is a douche. His pappa never gave him the attention he needed, so he goes off and pulls this crap.

I would assume Barry Bonds paid him off to say that. After all, what better person to take the heat off of him than living legend Clemens?

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Wait so the accusers a douche when he doesn't accuse Bonds? ummmm oookkkk.

I don't know, maybe the guy is. But does that make it bs? Either way, I think most players from that late 90's early 2000's era were using. I also think its low and irresponsible that they hang Bonds out to dry. One of the few things i agreed with Whitlock on. Also this isn't the first time Tejada has been accused, so who knows?

Baseball is boring as ever these days, so thats as far as I say on that.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Blog Entries
    MISTRIAL!!!
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    MISREMEMBERING!!!
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread