+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: My observations of the 2006-2007 team (so far)

My observations of the 2006-2007 team (so far)

I went to the game last night, and saw one other preseason game. I have a few thoughts about this team so far...

1) Hasek looks bad. He made mistakes he has always made (misplaying the puck behind the net and not recovering). The problem is that when he was out of position he couldn't get back fast. He nearly cost himself more than the 2 goals he did. Maybe it's just rust, we'll see. I was good last year before getting hurt, so it will depend on which Hasek we get I guess.

2) The defense is very solid. Best in the NHL I think. Cheli doesn't look any older and plays good positional D. He was also directing traffic a ton (something you wouldn't see on TV unless the camera was pointed on him). The young guys should benifit a lot from this. Nick is Nick. Kronwell and Lebda were both solid but also jumped into the play well too. Guys like Hank and Pavel did a good job of covering when they jumped up (something Larionov used to always do when he was here). Lilja also played pretty physical. Not Scott Stevens or Konstantinov physical, but at least Fischer like.

3) The offense was pretty good, especially for not playing all the regulars. Williams looks to have a good year getting Shanny's minutes beside Zetterberg. Hank and Pavel looked good too. They had a lot of attempted plays that could have panned out and didn't because of good defense and solid goaltending by Minnesota. The checking line was good too. Norton looked slow though, I doubt he contributes much. the younger guys looked a little lost (Fitipula and can't remember the other one). They showed skills but were not in good position a lot. That will probably come around.

All in all, I was impressed with the caliber of hockey with Stevie, Shanny and a couple other guys gone. I think the young guys will probably be just as good as the vets, and with higher cielings too.
    Last edited by WTFchris; 09-28-2006 at 07:55 PM.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

nice write up, Chris. i'm not a huge hockey guy, but the first hand accounts are a good read.

Wings Observations

0-11 on the PP this year
    and the 2nd worst PK %...........not off to an exceptional start
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

They did well on special teams last night. I only caught the third period, but they scored PP and SH goals last night. Their defense has been very good this year IMO.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Since when did the Wings start playing dump-and-chase hockey?

I am not sure that the Wings have enough speed to actually make that work. They should just stick to the puck-possession offense.

Quote Originally Posted by H1Man
    Since when did the Wings start playing dump-and-chase hockey?

I am not sure that the Wings have enough speed to actually make that work. They should just stick to the puck-possession offense.
    No fucking shit. Babcock made his money that way but its getting rediculous. We don't have forwards who can go down and consistantly win battles against the boards. We have guys like Hank and Pavel trying to be scrapers along the board.

Puck possession is how the Wings have won, what they have built this teams personel around and the only way they will be able to succeed in the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    2) The defense is very solid. Best in the NHL I think. Cheli doesn't look any older and plays good positional D. He was also directing traffic a ton (something you wouldn't see on TV unless the camera was pointed on him). The young guys should benifit a lot from this. Nick is Nick. Kronwell and Lebda were both solid but also jumped into the play well too. Guys like Hank and Pavel did a good job of covering when they jumped up (something Larionov used to always do when he was here). Lilja also played pretty physical. Not Scott Stevens or Konstantinov physical, but at least Fischer like.
    Chelios is terrible. He knows where he is supposed to be, he knows what he is supposed to do. He does not have the ability to do it anymore. He has no speed whatesover. He isn't physical. He can't clear the net.

Kronwall has totally unimpressed me. He came in with accolades out the ass in international play and frankly I don't see it. He's not bad by any sense of the imagination, but he has not been what he was previously billed to be.

Lilja is maybethe worst defenceman outside of Pittsburgh playing in the NHL. He is no physical. He is not skilled. He is screwed now that he isn't playing with Nick. He sucks. Like sucks bad.

Thank God for Markov and Lebda.

Quote Originally Posted by ACfromtheD
    Chelios is terrible. He knows where he is supposed to be, he knows what he is supposed to do. He does not have the ability to do it anymore. He has no speed whatesover. He isn't physical. He can't clear the net.

Kronwall has totally unimpressed me. He came in with accolades out the ass in international play and frankly I don't see it. He's not bad by any sense of the imagination, but he has not been what he was previously billed to be.

Lilja is maybethe worst defenceman outside of Pittsburgh playing in the NHL. He is no physical. He is not skilled. He is screwed now that he isn't playing with Nick. He sucks. Like sucks bad.

Thank God for Markov and Lebda.
    I have only seen one game (in LA) since I went to that game, and they were terrible. I haven't seen any other games with the Tiger's playing all the time. I agree Cheli has lost a lot of speed though.

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."
    Believe. They won't be great, but they will compete all season. It's a new era...no Stevie, but they will do the best that they can.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    yzerman was the red wings.. they dont feel the same w/o him.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

+ Reply to Thread