+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Lions Draft 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    I'm going to say no to Thomas. There's just something about Wisconsin offensive linemen that scares me.

I can't quite put my finger on it....
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    I don't understand, these seem to contradict each other. If we draft Peterson, wouldn't we be drafting for next year? The only reason to take Peterson is that you are worried KJ won't play next year and you can't wait another year. That, or you feel he is that superior to KJ. But then you risk being able to trade KJ because of injury concerns. Also, it took KJ almost two years to find his grove with being patient for holes, etc.

I think you build your lines and hope KJ comes back. Look at Denver. their system and OL produced those RB's. A good RB behing a crap OL doesn't work.
    i agree with everything you said, but your not following me.

1) i dont think the lions will ever figure out how to win.
    2) i dont think theyre competent enough to build a great offensive line.
    3) i want to have a reason to follow the team again.

if they draft peterson, im confident they can give him a decent supporting cast (line, skill positions) and he could put up really good numbers in detroit.

im not saying its the best way, or even a way, to build a winner. but right now im thinking lions in the 90's would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    In the NFL Breaston will be Eddie Drummond minus 30 lbs. Would you use a 2nd or 3rd for that? I would hope not, unless the rest of your team is so complete and deep that all you need is field position.

As for Woodley, in spite of all he has won I've still seen a number of mocks that rate him outside the 1st round. Others he has been as high as 12-15. Here's what you want to know. He'll improve every year. He's pretty quick but he won't be a Dwight Freeney. He's going to make some big plays and he'll rarely get burned. He has a motor. If DE is your need and Gaines is gone, he's probably the next best unless you're trying to specialize the guy. At 6'3" you could find someone taller, and you could probably find someone faster, but he's a good all-around DE if you're picking in the 20's and that's your biggest need.
    I think that Woodley will go 10-15 in a situation similar to David Pollack.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    I'm going to say no to Thomas. There's just something about Wisconsin offensive linemen that scares me.

I can't quite put my finger on it....
    The fact that he has Mandarich numbers?

Sorry, 6'7" 330, and a 4.89 and blocking 3 people at a time vs. Michigan(their one effective run play was the one where he sealed the end, went up to backer, then lead blocked the safety).

Sorry, that kid is SICK, we should take him. Actually we should trade down, and get more 'very good' kids, but if we stay, Joe Thomas should be the guy IMO.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    I don't understand, these seem to contradict each other. If we draft Peterson, wouldn't we be drafting for next year? The only reason to take Peterson is that you are worried KJ won't play next year and you can't wait another year. That, or you feel he is that superior to KJ. But then you risk being able to trade KJ because of injury concerns. Also, it took KJ almost two years to find his grove with being patient for holes, etc.

I think you build your lines and hope KJ comes back. Look at Denver. their system and OL produced those RB's. A good RB behing a crap OL doesn't work.
    Good post Chris. I agree. I love Peterson and I would love to root for him in the D, but with our line in shambles and already having a serviceable RB in KJ (I think he'll be OK), I guess it doesn't make sense. I'd say trade town a bit, and maybe get Thomas or Alan Branch. If Rogers got healthy, imagine him and Branch plugging holes for the next 5-6 years.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Dream scenario would be if we traded down a few picks and got ourselves another second rounder. We then take one of the top linemen in the draft (say if whoever's at 3 or 4 decides to jump up for Quinn or Johnson and we end up with Thomas) and end up with a good DE and QB-of-the-future in the second round. Maybe Woodley and Troy Smith drop to the second round. If Smith is gone we can pick up Stanton and let him ride the bench for a year or two while he develops. Like I said, dream scenario.

Also, what's going on with Dan-O? Are we going to let him step in at QB to show us if he's got a chance at any point this year? I think it could really affect how we draft. If he shows a great deal of promise to be our future QB then we really don't need to worry about using a 1st-3rd rounder on one. My guess is Marinelli wants to give the kid a series or two each the game but Martz is too stubborn to let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl

Also, what's going on with Dan-O? Are we going to let him step in at QB to show us if he's got a chance at any point this year? I think it could really affect how we draft. If he shows a great deal of promise to be our future QB then we really don't need to worry about using a 1st-3rd rounder on one. My guess is Marinelli wants to give the kid a series or two each the game but Martz is too stubborn to let it happen.
    Why would the lions want to mess with their chemistry. They're 2-12 and they're rolling. They're coming off a week where they almost kept it close with traditional power green bay at their house. They also a close game with new england earlier in the season. if the lions put in one of the younger quarterbacks, they may lose by even more points. Plus, why would management want to send the message that they have given up on this season already. I think that kitna has earned the right to start the last couple of games based on his strong decision-making skills and clutch play.

Note: preceeding message only informed by record and watching 2 quarters of the lions this season. In those 2 quarters joey "liberace" harrington lit them up.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

They already drafted Gary Coleman for linebacker last year, I say this year they go for Webster, and line him up on the other side.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    Dream scenario would be if we traded down a few picks and got ourselves another second rounder. We then take one of the top linemen in the draft (say if whoever's at 3 or 4 decides to jump up for Quinn or Johnson and we end up with Thomas) and end up with a good DE and QB-of-the-future in the second round. Maybe Woodley and Troy Smith drop to the second round. If Smith is gone we can pick up Stanton and let him ride the bench for a year or two while he develops. Like I said, dream scenario.

damn. any sentence that includes "lions" and "dream scenario" automatically equals cornbread. then discussing playing a young qb for the future? you've got it bad.

face it, even if they make the right pick, which they wont, and even if that player develops, which he wont, we arent surrounding him anytalent.

this is like saying, 'if i only buy a few more lottery tickets this week, maybe i'll win 50 dollars'. you need help, man.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    damn. any sentence that includes "lions" and "dream scenario" automatically equals cornbread. then discussing playing a young qb for the future? you've got it bad.

face it, even if they make the right pick, which they wont, and even if that player develops, which he wont, we arent surrounding him anytalent.

this is like saying, 'if i only buy a few more lottery tickets this week, maybe i'll win 50 dollars'. you need help, man.

*sigh*

*tear*

+ Reply to Thread