+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: McCosky: Pistons to hire Dave Cowens as Assistant

Blog Entries

McCosky: Pistons to hire Dave Cowens as Assistant

Cowens has always annoyed me. Can't tell you why.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...609120375/1127

Cowens likely to join staff of Pistons

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- The Pistons are close to adding a Hall of Famer to their staff.

Dave Cowens, a Hall of Fame player for the Celtics and former coach of the Celtics, Charlotte Hornets and Golden State Warriors, is expected to join Flip Saunders' coaching staff.

"Nothing is done until it's done," Saunders said. "But we came to the decision that we were going to make our staff as good as we could make it. We weren't going to set any limits. I am real excited about bringing Dave in."

Cowens, who spent last season coaching the Chicago Sky of the WNBA, will be the second former head coach on Saunders' staff. Last month, the Pistons hired former Bucks coach Terry Porter as an assistant.

"The people who worry about that are those that question their own ability," Saunders said, when asked if it bothered him to have two former head coaches on his staff. "If you worry about that, you aren't secure in what you are doing. I have always been one to want to be surrounded by the best people. It's how you make your team stronger."

Cowens and Porter will replace Sidney Lowe and, most likely, Don Zierden from last year's staff.

Lowe left to become coach at North Carolina State. Zierden, whose family remains in Minnesota, is a candidate for the head-coaching job with the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx.
    Find a new slant.

What's not to like?

He'll take the check.

Hail you a cab.

Is kind to old people,

and children alike.
    Last edited by Fool; 09-12-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    That's a fine tribute, you've changed my mind.

Welcome Dave.
    Find a new slant.

We welcome him and hopefully Nazr will too. I'm sure he can do more than coach bigs though.

Suit him up.

Actually, on the cab subject, didn't he once walk out on the Celtics as a player to drive a cab in Boston?

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    i dont like him or porter. but at this point i dont care. go pistons and die flip.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I'm wondering how the loss of Don Zierden hits Flip. I wonder if we've entered "too many chiefs, no indians" territory.

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    according to Charlie Rosen Dave Cowens was the dirtiest player in the NBA history :O

But the dirtiest player in NBA history was Dave Cowens. Yes, he was skilled. Yes, he was tough. Yet his all-out aggressiveness was frequently mindless and downright sadistic. (In a bar-fight while he was in college, Cowens once bit off a large piece of an antagonist's nose.) Cowens, more than any of his predecessors, was considered by his contemporaries to be the one player whose over-the-top brutality was most likely to send an opponent to the hospital.
    OUCH!
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5860712

well lets hope he's a tough coach too

LOL. Those with big nose or ears alike, watch out.

cowens and porter may not get or deserve the head coaching job if saunders eventually gets fired; but they both certainly are getting an extended audition.

+ Reply to Thread