+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Carlos Delfino Tracker (Argentina national team '06 FIBA)

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_...mNumber=&zone=

Delfinooooooooo

17 min, 14 pts, 8 reb, 1 stl, 5/8 FG, 3/4 3PT

8 rebounds....3/4 from beyond the arc.impressive

ACCUMULATED STATISTICS (8 Games)

18 MPG
    46.3 FG%
    52.2 2pts
    41.9 3pts
    5.25 Reb
    1.75 Apg
    1.6 PF
    1.4 TO
    1.4 Stl
    8.5 PPG
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Delfino had a sick dunk in the first or second quarter... does anyone have a video of it handy?

a little late, but:

1/4 finals of the 2006 FIBA World Championship, Saitama, Japan. Argentina vs Turkey. (29.08.2006)
    01/09/2006

ARG - Delfino: "What better way to avenge our losses to Spain"

SAITAMA (FIBA World Championship) - Argentina are on mission to capture gold, and avenge recent defeats to Spain in the process, when the two giants meet in the semi-finals off the FIBA World Championship on Friday.

The South Americans are the Olympic champions but Spain did beat them at the Athens Games two years ago and also swept them in two games this summer before traveling to Japan.

In fact, Argentina have only won two of the 18 games contested between the sides.

Emerging star Carlos Delfino, who turned 24 on the day of Argentina's quarter-final thrashing off Turkey, told PA Sport's Cindy Garcia-Bennett on behalf of FIBA the time is right to put the record straight.

FIBA: Carlos, you played on Argentina's successful Olympic team two years ago and now you are playing an important role for coach Sergio Hernandez here in Japan in your first FIBA World Championship. How have you found the experience?

Delfino: "I am very satisfied. I know all my team-mates well and it has been a marvellous experience so far. Two years ago, I got a nice present winning the gold medal in Athens, but this time I am enjoying myself more because I am having more playing time and I think it's the best birthday I've had."

FIBA: You were a late addition to the team two years ago and spent much of the time watching from the bench. Do you feel you are an integral part of the team?

Delfino: "I do feel as though I am useful to this team. We are playing well, we'ree unbeaten and we are where we wanted to be. It's positive to be able to carry on and to advance in such a great tournament."

FIBA: You no longer have Hugo Sconochini or Alejandro Montecchia, but the bulk of the team that won gold in Athens is here. Is this the main reason why Argentina have yet to lose in this competition?

Delfino: "The fact that we know each other well helps greatly to make sure our progress is constant and good. During the build-up to the tournament, we didn't play great but we have got a better feeling and we're showing a better level in the competition. We must maintain our defensive intensity. In attack, we don't have a pure shooter and teams know that. We are working on that and give ourselves other options."

FIBA: Spain are a major hurdle for Argentina to clear considering their past success against you, and the quality in their side with players like Juan Carlos Navarro, Pau Gasol and Jose Manuel Calderon. What are your thoughts going into Friday's game?

Delfino: "It was the semi-final we all wanted. We lost our warm-ups and what better way to avenge our losses to Spain than in a World Championship semi-final. We know that Spain have had a great tournament so far, that they are growing as the tournament progresses and I think it's going to be a great game for the fans. I hope it's not going to be a closed game as it was in our recent friendlies where they took a big advantage early on and we were never able to turn the situation around. I hope that in this game, we can show our game and continue."

FIBA: Is there a psychological edge for Spain since they have had so much success against Argentina over the years?

Delfino: "We know Spain well and I think that makes a difference. But this is a World Championship and I think it's a different ball game. We all know what it would mean for each of the teams to win and to lose this game. Historically, they have demolished us in our previous encounters but this is a World Championship semi-final and I think the past doesn't count."
    FIBA: Looking at your big win over Turkey, that caught everyone by surprise as Bogdan Tanjevic's team had been so impressive in their other games.

Delfino: "We know that Turkey are a young and talented team with a lot of character, but they were unlucky to come up against a very good Argentina side. We have a great team, we're very strong mentally and we have a lot of experience. We gave them no chance of recovering. "

FIBA: Offensively, Argentina always make highlight reel plays but your defense has always the most important part of this team. Is that fair?

Delfino: "We have played well defensively in our last four games and we have increased that intensity. We are more compact. It has been our best games, we hope that we can continue to improve. With the players we have, there is room for improvement."

FIBA: You were in great form at Climamio Bologna before leaving for the NBA and have struggled in two seasons to make an impact. What are you plans for the immediate future in Detroit?

Delfino: "I am not happy with the limited minutes I've had in the NBA. I can only be optimistic and think about the future. I don't know where my future will be but at this point, I don't want to think about it. I am doing something great for myself now and I am in a group that I owe respect and I think that I'm going to think more about this than about what's going to happen next week."

FIBA: Japan is a long way from Argentina but there are a lot of fans here backing your team. Are there a lot of people in South America following your progress?

Delfino: "People back home really follow this group and we cannot be but happy that this group generates this support."

FIBA: There was a lot made of this FIBA World Championship expanding to 24 teams, and the great competition that it was supposed to be. How would you compare this summer to other big moments in your career, whether it was playing in the Euroleague Final Four with Climamio or competing in the NBA?

Delfino: "It's the maximum I can dream of, to defend your country. We are so proud and we have a positive point that we all get on well and whenever we meet up it is great for everyone. Last year, those of us who played in the Olympic team took a sabatical and we came to this tournament with a lot of ambition to go all the way. We all know that together, we can do something important and we have to continue to work hard as mutual respect."

By Cindy Garcia-Bennett
    FIBA
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_...p?newsID=16197

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    ACCUMULATED STATISTICS (8 Games)

18 MPG
    46.3 FG%
    52.2 2pts
    41.9 3pts
    5.25 Reb
    1.75 Apg
    1.6 PF
    1.4 TO
    1.4 Stl
    8.5 PPG

Shot great for the tourney, love that 3%. Good job on the glass, good D, but those are Corliss' A/TO #s in a tourney like this.

+ Reply to Thread