+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Civil war series.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

Marvel's Civil war series.

This series has been starting to catch a little buzz. It seems tight though the superhero registration act story seems like a minor rip off from the watchmen by Alan Moore. Either way has anyone checked it out? It seems like its Iron Man vs Captain America with everyone choosing sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_(comics)

Click the image to view the full version
    The image above has been resized. Click on it to see the full version.

Click the image to view the full version
    The image above has been resized. Click on it to see the full version.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Thumbs up

i just read a couple parts of the series last night. it was very entertaining. Possibly Marvels best work in atleast a decade(so far)..the crossovers are spread out a plenty from spiderman to she hulk and everything in between. I liked seeing iron man and captain america go at it heads up. And the Spiderman giving up his identity worldwide was interesting.
    ^

without reading anything on it, it seems like a neat premise.

I've read the first couple issues and some of the crossover stuff. Definitely worth checking out.

Gutz, would you care to do a comic briefing for everyone here?

The best comics (in your opinion) or something like that?

I'd love to learn more about this stuff and a buddy of mine is really into comics but I basically have no clue on the subject.

have you seen my childhood?
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh
    Gutz, would you care to do a comic briefing for everyone here?

The best comics (in your opinion) or something like that?

I'd love to learn more about this stuff and a buddy of mine is really into comics but I basically have no clue on the subject.

have you seen my childhood?
    well i'd recommend things that would appeal to your vulgar let intellectual thinking.

Oddly enough comics have never really been written in a format where they were strictly for children. Take Spiderman for instance. Seems safe enough. But the premise of the founding story is the death of his uncle. The murder of his girlfriend gwen stacey and the evetual revenge murder of Green Goblin(though it was set up so blood wouldnt be on Spidey's hands). I've read things from Captain america beating the living shit out of daredevil on an alcohol binge to various X-men dying atleast twice a year(with ocasional rebirths.

But yea let be get you caught up on comics you would like.

So far the civil War series is worth checking out.

The Death of Superman series is definately worth checking out(but not the issues after he dies, those were not as good).

Any of Spawn's first 100 issues is worth checking out IMO(great violent stories and humor).

Frank Miller's version of the spawn/batman crossover.

Batman:The Killing Joke

The Watchmen graphic novel(written by the famous dark British Writer Alan Moore)

V For Vendetta Graphic Novel(more alan moore)

Batman Year One by Frank Miller(as you can see theres a trend of Frank and alan writing the best stories)

Spiderman 1-3 written by todd macfarlane

Green Latern is a cult favorite. I mean he has a serious underground following.

the infinity gauntlet series was tight(thanos kicked ass)

theres others i can't think of, but the best way to find the best is trace it to the best writers.

Alan Moore
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore

todd mcfarlane
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_McFarlane

Frank Miller
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Miller_%28comics%29

those should be a good start. If you finally have a dsl connect i can put you up on a way to catch up easier via pm.
    ^

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    For good snapshots of what's out there, start with:

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/

There's definitely different strokes for different folks. There's some work I like by some authors and artists, and some work I don't. It's easier for me to tell you who to avoid. FWIW, the still-being-written regular series I'm collecting:

Ultimate Spider-Man
    Astro City
    Ex Machina
    Invincible
    PS238
    and All-Star Superman and Justice
    (once they come out in trade paperback)

And I have an awful lot of TPBs and a stack of comics for limited runs, cancelled series, old stuff, etc.

As for Civil War in particular...

It's not a new idea even in the comics. In the 1990s, there was the Mutant Registration Act that led to similar strife. There've been superheroic teams squaring off against each other ever since there've been superheroic teams. Often, these "big event" comic plots are fun while they happen, but many of the characters get left in stupid situations, the writer and|or artist changes, and you're left picking up the pieces.
    Last edited by Uncle Mxy; 07-28-2006 at 12:10 PM.

There's definitely different strokes for different folks. There's some work I like by some authors and artists, and some work I don't. It's easier for me to tell you who to avoid. FWIW, the still-being-written regular series I'm collecting:

Ultimate Spider-Man
    Astro City
    Ex Machina
    Invincible
    PS238
    and All-Star Superman (once it comes out in trade paperback)
    i agree 100 percent with the disliked ones.

as far as characters being left stupid. so far this hasn't been like that. In fact its been pretty much the best non x-men crossover i've ever read from marvel so far.
    ^

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutz Gatsu
    as far as characters being left stupid. so far this hasn't been like that. In fact its been pretty much the best non x-men crossover i've ever read from marvel so far.
    Yeah, but it's not over yet. I'm talking about after the event is over. Here's an example:

With J. Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 leading the way in writing Civil War and events leading up to it, we have Spider-Man as an Avenger when he's not a high-school teacher, with powers that come from a mystic totem and not a radioactive spider-bite, wearing Iron Man armor, and him revealing his secret identity to the world. Meanwhile, Gwen Stacy was brought back up just long enough to have kids with the Green Goblin, fooling around behind Peter Parker's back.

Is all that going to lead to enough good new stories where Spider-Man fans stay interested and grow, or will there be years of "getting Spider-Man back to normal" stories, hoping they don't make things worse in the process (e.g. the Clone Wars, where the goal was to get Peter Parker away from having Mary Jane Supermodel for a wife)? I don't know. I don't hold high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutz Gatsu
    Yeah, but it's not over yet. I'm talking about after the event is over. Here's an example:

With J. Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 leading the way in writing Civil War and events leading up to it, we have Spider-Man as an Avenger when he's not a high-school teacher, with powers that come from a mystic totem and not a radioactive spider-bite, wearing Iron Man armor, and him revealing his secret identity to the world. Meanwhile, Gwen Stacy was brought back up just long enough to have kids with the Green Goblin, fooling around behind Peter Parker's back.

Is all that going to lead to enough good new stories where Spider-Man fans stay interested and grow, or will there be years of "getting Spider-Man back to normal" stories, hoping they don't make things worse in the process (e.g. the Clone Wars, where the goal was to get Peter Parker away from having Mary Jane Supermodel for a wife)? I don't know. I don't hold high hopes.
    i read it. and no it wasn't the type of story you'd want, but it was pretty well written oddly enough. Joss whedon is resposible for the x-men stories leading into their part in this i think. Either way its been a good read so far. as far as deatails being not what they should in marvel universe law. they never are in a crossover of any stature. its part of how they go i guess. But so far its been entertaining is all i'm, saying. and thats just so far. it could very well tank. but so far its the best stuff they've had since wolverine got riped a new one by magneto.
    ^

+ Reply to Thread