+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Tigers Need a Closer - 7.19.06, Jethro's WTF Front Page debut

We have a wealth of pitching ready to come into the league. No way I spend youth to acquire a pitcher this year. Move Z up to closer and make Tata or Dirty your set-up guy

Blog Entries
    Thanks Arch, that was pretty solid even if I disagree with you on several counts, mostly your view on ERA v. WHIP v. K/9 when it comes to evaluating closers.

ERA is probably the least important stat of the three for a closer, not the most. WHIP demonstrates how many baserunners are getting on base, which is a direct measurement of dominance. K/9 will show you, in no uncertain terms, how effective a guy is at confusing a hitter. If you are striking guys out as a closer, you not only are intimidating the opposition, but those are balls that are not being put into play, (less pressure on your defense, less chance of an error, less chance that a ball finds a hole). With ERA, guys that score that are inherited don't even factor in, and that's huge.

Thanks for the solid and classy response.

edit: typo
    Last edited by Glenn; 07-19-2006 at 04:23 PM.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    We have a wealth of pitching ready to come into the league. No way I spend youth to acquire a pitcher this year. Move Z up to closer and make Tata or Dirty your set-up guy
    I agree that having a "different" closer doesn't necessarily equate to making a trade.

I'd be fine with Rodney or Zumaya over Jones.
    Find a new slant.

Jones is fine.

Does he scare the shit out of us sometime? Yes. The last few games i've seen some base runners on Mariano Rivera. IMO it happens. Jones has only blow 3 saves all year. He's really not that bad.

I think what people have a problem with, is the fact that all his saves seem to be dramatic. Theres no comfert level with him like there is with Rivera, and some of the other top closers in baseball. But if you look at his save numbers, they're good. Sure the ERA is up, but thats a useless stat for pitchers.

Rivera has blow 2 saves this year, only one less than Jones.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    I don't love Jones, but considering the amount of money we have invested in him, I think we're pretty well stuck with him. I just can't see them going after another name closer when, despite the shaky moments, the bullpen has really been the least of our worries so far.

Also, to me at least, TJ's looked a whole lot better the last month and a half. His pitches seem to have more bite, and he hasn't even gotten into too many jams. In his last ten appearances, he's given up 1 run and only 6 hits, that's pretty good. We'll see if he can keep it up, but I'm forever the optimist, and when you look at his numbers from FLA last year, it shows that he's at least capable of doing a bang up job. I think we have enough other great arms around that we can afford to give him a chance for another month or so and if he fails, just go with an in-house replacement. The White Sox sure proved that could work last year.

As for Cordero, I think he's one of the top 6-7 closers in the league. I'd love to get him, but I doubt he's on the market. I'm betting their asking price for him would be higher than for Soriano.

(Edit-I just realized we'll probably be going into the ninth in a save situation so if Jones get's rocked, ignore everything I just typed...)

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Also, Jones' Stache reminds me of Willie Hernandez.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

I'm glad my front page debut was worthy of discussion and kind words even though it isn't a consensus agreement. In fact, I'm glad it isn't consensus because rarely does that generate strong discussion. Vinny is clearly the master of writing for baseball purposes, but I'm glad I was allowed to dabble a bit.
    Hopefully I'll have time to put together some solid college football articles in the future.

ps-that's a teaser
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Rivera just blew his 3rd save, giving up a walk off HR to the Jays, matching Jones

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Rivera just blew his 3rd save, giving up a walk off HR to the Jays, matching Jones
    Golly, it happens every two years or so. And for the record that was the FIRST HR that Rivera has given up this year.

I don't think you really want to start comparing Todd Jones to arguably the best closer of all time, you'll come out looking silly.
    Find a new slant.

I'm just saying that everyone blows saves, and Jones hasnt blow that many. I'm not compairing them. Jones isnt even on Riveras planet.

Make a sandwich.
    Last edited by Anthony; 07-21-2006 at 01:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread