+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problem hooking up xBox live with my 360

Quote Originally Posted by bangpow
    what kind of wireless card to you have for your X360?
    The Microsoft one...

How does that thing you showed me hook up?

Does that just grab your current connection and send it wired to your XBOX or does it have to go wired from your connection to your XBOX wirelessly?

Just kickin' back on the seven seas of smoothness.
    Quote Originally Posted by theMUHMEshow
    The Microsoft one...

Does that just grab your current connection and send it wired to your XBOX or does it have to go wired from your connection to your XBOX wirelessly?
    Yep, when you hook that up to your 360 via an ethernet cable, it shows up as a wired connection and the box that's hooked to it finds the wireless connection.

At least when I test my XBOX Live connection, it says "wired" in connection type.

The Microsoft one...

Yep, when you hook that up to your 360 via an ethernet cable, it shows up as a wired connection and the box that's hooked to it finds the wireless connection.

At least when I test my XBOX Live connection, it says "wired" in connection type.

Ahh that might work...So basically that Linksys grabs your wireless connection from your router, then it wirelessly connects it to your xbox...this might solve my problem? I assume that router that my neighbor has is not compatible or something...So this would work around that correct?

(I checked and the router is not on the list of not working and the guys at xbox said it should work..but for some reason it doesnt)

This will be cheaper than the 100 i spent on the damn wireless xbox thingy....

Just kickin' back on the seven seas of smoothness.
    The Microsoft one...

Ahh that might work...So basically that Linksys grabs your wireless connection from your router, then it wirelessly connects it to your xbox...this might solve my problem? I assume that router that my neighbor has is not compatible or something...So this would work around that correct?

(I checked and the router is not on the list of not working and the guys at xbox said it should work..but for some reason it doesnt)

This will be cheaper than the 100 i spent on the damn wireless xbox thingy....
    Yes, in theory it should work as long as the linksys adaptor sees the wireless internet connection.

I would suggest buying your internet...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishSausage
    I would suggest buying your internet...lol.
    Or...I could save $40 because I am a broke ass college kid? How does that sound?

Damn, man. I gotta be honest, I am not the most well versed in networking. In fact, I totally hate it and I stress myself out over it.

As far as using your computer as an access point, it won't do you any good if you knocked all the computers off the network. But if it did work, I don't know how to do that. I have never tried to do it before.

However, does your neighbor have his network secured or is it just wide open and you access it that way?

If it's wide open, you could probably reset the router back to the default settings and try connecting again.

He does have it wide open...but I have no idea to get back into it? The settings are not set up for remote access
    How did you tool around with the settings before? Are you able to do it again?

Or did you knock yourself out of being able to get into the settings?

I dont know how to get back into mess with them...I do not have access on his network any more..it just says something to the effect of "limited or no connectivity" so I cannot get into the router settings to reset it ya know?
    That just usually means your not getting a good connection. Nothing to do with the settings.

Is it a laptop? Try moving closer to his house and resetting the connection on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Damn, man. I gotta be honest, I am not the most well versed in networking. In fact, I totally hate it and I stress myself out over it.

As far as using your computer as an access point, it won't do you any good if you knocked all the computers off the network. But if it did work, I don't know how to do that. I have never tried to do it before.

However, does your neighbor have his network secured or is it just wide open and you access it that way?

If it's wide open, you could probably reset the router back to the default settings and try connecting again.

He does have it wide open...but I have no idea to get back into it? The settings are not set up for remote access
    How did you tool around with the settings before? Are you able to do it again?

Or did you knock yourself out of being able to get into the settings?

I dont know how to get back into mess with them...I do not have access on his network any more..it just says something to the effect of "limited or no connectivity" so I cannot get into the router settings to reset it ya know?
    That just usually means your not getting a good connection. Nothing to do with the settings.

Is it a laptop? Try moving closer to his house and resetting the connection on your computer.
    I have FULL STRENGTH on my laptop, just says "limited or no connectivity"

Wow, thats wierd. I'll see what I can dig up. I know i've gotten that message before, but it only happened when I would have trouble getting a signal.

Wireless connections are a pain in the ass. Do you know if you can still get into the router settings?

Usually its the address to the defult gateway. If you go to your network connections and double click your wireless connection it should tell you what that is. See if that works.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    i dont have a 360, but have spent enough hell hours on networks so i might be able to help. the default gateway anthony mentioned would either be http//192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on the brand of router. do you know what the brand is? getting back into the router would be the first step

second... the shared connection through your laptop is pretty easy to set up. ill assume your using some type of windows xp. first off your laptop would need two internet connectors... since you are connecting wirelessly in the first place i would think you need a LAN jack for the xbox. i may be wrong about that, but im pretty sure you cant use the same wireless adapter for two connections (never tried). if you go into your network properties for your laptop, then the advanced tab, there will be a box you can check that says 'allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection'. check this box. you will also have to make sure that the windows service 'windows firewall/ internet connection sharing (ICS)' is set to automatic and started. you may also need to make sure the 'application layer gateway service' service is running, but im not sure for your specific pc.

i hope that gets you started, ill check back and good luck.

+ Reply to Thread