+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Brien not coming to MoTown,Hill to return?

Threaded View

Jim O'Brien not coming to MoTown,Hill to return?

My molesare telling me that Jim O'Brien is not joining the Pistons after all.

O'Brien, the former 76ers and Celtics head coach, appeared to be heading to Motown to join Flip Saunders ' coaching staff.

O'Brien, currently in Greece, interviewed for an assistant's gig. The Pistons wanted him. It seemed as if O'Brien wanted back into the league after sitting out last season.

Now, moles say, there are some family issues that will prevent O'Brien from taking the job.

It certainly would have been a nice addition to the Pistons.

In 2002, O'Brien got two votes for NBA coach of the year. That season, his Celtics beat the Pistons in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

The 76ers' job was a dream for Philly native O'Brien's, even though it barely lasted a year. Still, O'Brien reportedly walked away with $12 million.

That's plenty of reason O'Brien doesn't have to rush back to the NBA.

When it comes to Terry Porter , another former head coach the Pistons want to add to the staff, his situation is in a holding pattern. Moles reported a month ago that it was his gig if he wanted it.

Porter wants the job, but he is also heading a group attempting to buy the Portland Trail Blazers, his former team. That mega-million-dollar deal could take some time, though. And Porter can't commit to coaching the Pistons until the ownership bid is resolved. The Pistons are willing to wait -- at least for the time being.

To show his strong interest, Porter was in Las Vegas to watch summer league games with Saunders.

Stay tuned.

Backboards to boardroom

Speaking of buying a team, my NBA peepsare telling me that former Pistons forward Christian Laettner and Brian Davis , Laettner's teammate and best buddy at Duke, might actually be able to get a group together -- and, more importantly, the financing -- to buy the Memphis Grizzlies.

Originally, many thought it would not be possible. Things have changed in a hurry and Laettner might have found some deep-pocket investors to get this deal off the ground.

Moles hope Laettner will work harder on this than the forgettable seasons he spent here.

Score one for Amaker

My college familywas right last week about Michigan basketball coach Tommy Amaker getting good news.

Detroit Redford guard Corperryale Harris , a top-25 recruit, gave a verbal commitment to the Wolverines.

Apparently, Amaker has done enough to get some of Michigan's best talent to consider staying home before running off elsewhere.

Let Grant go

My CWPFs(close warm personal friends) are telling me that Grant Hill might still return to Detroit. But it will be later rather than sooner.

Hill, who is due close to $16 million in the final year of his contract with Orland, might be offered a buyout. If Hill is bought out, he could sign a veteran's exception with the Pistons.
    Keep this on the back burner, moles say.

Can't put price on freedom

First, LeBron James of the Cavaliers. Then, Dwyane Wade of the Heat. Now Chris Bosh of the Raptors has followed suit and signed a three-year extension, instead of the maximum five-year $80 million deal they could have signed.

The shorter deals actually give the players more insurance (if less money). They can move more quickly if they're unhappy with their teams. James' deal will expire one year after the Nets move into their new downtown Brooklyn arena. Wade's expires a year after Shaquille O'Neal 's contract ends.

My spies tell me to look for more players to do this such as Orlando's Dwight Howard .

Brown playing hardball

Apparently, former Pistons coach Larry Brown is serious about getting the $40 million remaining on his contract with the Knicks. My legal riff-raffis telling me that Brown has hired Williams & Connolly, a prominent Washington, D.C., law firm.

By the way, Williams & Connolly represented former President Bill Clinton during his impeachment trial.
    So we could get Grant who is an expiring contract even if he is bought out? Wouldnt that be better for our chances of resigning Billups?

I think Delfino maybe on his way out if this happens.

Grant Hill would without a doubt be our backup PG. 15 minutes a game backing up chauncey, that's all.

Why would the Magic buy him out especially if he's healthy enough to play? He's got a $17 million expiring contract which they could use in a trade to get some nice players in return for. They are set to be waaaaaaay under the cap after this season and if Hill is healthy he can help the Magic rack up some wins making the Magic a more attractive locations for potential free agents. Maybe Hill would return here AFTER this season but it makes no sense for the Magic to buy him out now.

He's not healthy enough to play the minutes they'd require of him.

I remember last year he'd play awesome in 30-minute spurts and then his body would give out in him and he'd sit 3 straight games.

He can play, but he can't be a key piece.

They can still use him though. They could also use his contract in a trade to upgrade the roster. There is no reason for the Magic to cut him unless Grant agrees to some absurdly cheap buyout.

I don't think it will happen. But I also don't think he can play for orlando next year. The pressure to play him past his limits will end what's left of his career.

Grant's got 1 year left, 2 tops if he takes it easy. The sad thing is when he played last year, I saw %90 of what he was pre-injury. He doesn't even look injured, he still plays quick on his feet.

He can definately play in short bursts, and it would be wasted in Orlando.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-15-2006 at 10:00 PM.

grant hill would be our backup pg and play 15 minutes a game?

it appears once again i completely disagree with you.

IF hill gets bought out (i agree with diddy, why?) and IF he were to sign with the pistons (id go to san an if i were hill. why would he come here?) i think he'd backup tay, and play his natural position. why would he backup chauncy? just cuz you can play point forward doesnt make you a pointguard. when hill was at his best he rarely went up against other team's pgs. why would he do it now?

He wouldn't he'd do exactly what he did here before: run the team (which we need) on offense, and let someone else (delfino/Hunter) defend the point guard on the other end.

We need a backup ballhandler. Grant Hill is a ballhandler. Obviously, he'd fill that role here.

As for why he'd go to SA rather than here, I think Grant misses it here. He knows he fucked up going to Orlando.

i don't think it's that much of a longshot. the only real longshot is if he can stay healthy.

i could see hill asking the magic to buy him out so he has a chance with a winning team. he apparently has indicated for a year or so that he'd love to come back to detroit, so i don't think it's unrealistic at all. very realistic in fact.

hill can afford to agree to a cheap buyout because he has made tons of money for doing nothing and he has bundles anyway. he is near the end and wants to win. can't fault him for asking or agreeing to a cheap buyout.

IMO it's not too likely teams would be able to match hill's salary in a trade, since they'd have to give up a lot to get a guy they probably can't count on too much. and the magic won't take on junk for an expiring contract that would bring them cap room.

finally, the magic will save millions if they can agree to a nice buyout AND they will still have his contract come off the books and give them cap room at the end of the season ANYWAY.

so IMO it's win-win. sure, they could keep him and hope to use him as trade bait. but like i said, for the amount he's getting paid, do they want to take on that much salary ($16 million) back in a trade? yes, that deal itself could include an expiring contract or 2. but it's not as easy to pull off as soem might think.

i think it's very possible hill comes back, and actually while i was cool to the idea months ago, i would love it now. i sure hope he could stay healthy. if we do our homework on him now and find out if he can stay healthy enough to play 15 or 20 minutes....it would be a huge, HUGE steal for us.

i would call this offseason a success if we could get him for the veteran's exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Higherwarrior
    i don't think it's that much of a longshot. the only real longshot is if he can stay healthy.

i could see hill asking the magic to buy him out so he has a chance with a winning team. he apparently has indicated for a year or so that he'd love to come back to detroit, so i don't think it's unrealistic at all. very realistic in fact.

hill can afford to agree to a cheap buyout because he has made tons of money for doing nothing and he has bundles anyway. he is near the end and wants to win. can't fault him for asking or agreeing to a cheap buyout.

IMO it's not too likely teams would be able to match hill's salary in a trade, since they'd have to give up a lot to get a guy they probably can't count on too much. and the magic won't take on junk for an expiring contract that would bring them cap room.

finally, the magic will save millions if they can agree to a nice buyout AND they will still have his contract come off the books and give them cap room at the end of the season ANYWAY.

so IMO it's win-win. sure, they could keep him and hope to use him as trade bait. but like i said, for the amount he's getting paid, do they want to take on that much salary ($16 million) back in a trade? yes, that deal itself could include an expiring contract or 2. but it's not as easy to pull off as soem might think.

i think it's very possible hill comes back, and actually while i was cool to the idea months ago, i would love it now. i sure hope he could stay healthy. if we do our homework on him now and find out if he can stay healthy enough to play 15 or 20 minutes....it would be a huge, HUGE steal for us.

i would call this offseason a success if we could get him for the veteran's exception.
    I agree with the fact that hill has 2 choices left. It's either Orlando or the Pistons. If he buys out, I think he'd come to Detroit if he bought out, which is most likely. If he stays in Orlando for another year, we should def sign him next year when he's a FA.

I would love to see Hill back, then we could get Stack then we got Stack/Hill/Hunter back.

+ Reply to Thread