+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Brien not coming to MoTown,Hill to return?

He was essentially the PG for our offense for 4 years.

We need a backup PG, and he'd be better at that job than anyone else on our bench.

I don't see the big deal with playing him at the 1. We can cover for him defensively no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Higherwarrior
    i don't think it's that much of a longshot. the only real longshot is if he can stay healthy.

i could see hill asking the magic to buy him out so he has a chance with a winning team. he apparently has indicated for a year or so that he'd love to come back to detroit, so i don't think it's unrealistic at all. very realistic in fact.

hill can afford to agree to a cheap buyout because he has made tons of money for doing nothing and he has bundles anyway. he is near the end and wants to win. can't fault him for asking or agreeing to a cheap buyout.

IMO it's not too likely teams would be able to match hill's salary in a trade, since they'd have to give up a lot to get a guy they probably can't count on too much. and the magic won't take on junk for an expiring contract that would bring them cap room.

finally, the magic will save millions if they can agree to a nice buyout AND they will still have his contract come off the books and give them cap room at the end of the season ANYWAY.

so IMO it's win-win. sure, they could keep him and hope to use him as trade bait. but like i said, for the amount he's getting paid, do they want to take on that much salary ($16 million) back in a trade? yes, that deal itself could include an expiring contract or 2. but it's not as easy to pull off as soem might think.

i think it's very possible hill comes back, and actually while i was cool to the idea months ago, i would love it now. i sure hope he could stay healthy. if we do our homework on him now and find out if he can stay healthy enough to play 15 or 20 minutes....it would be a huge, HUGE steal for us.

i would call this offseason a success if we could get him for the veteran's exception.
    I agree with the fact that hill has 2 choices left. It's either Orlando or the Pistons. If he buys out, I think he'd come to Detroit if he bought out, which is most likely. If he stays in Orlando for another year, we should def sign him next year when he's a FA.

I would love to see Hill back, then we could get Stack then we got Stack/Hill/Hunter back.

Oh, and I do think that with Grant Hill we would officially be contenders again.

Like I said, we wouldn't need much to be back in the thick of the race. I think Grant would make us better and more versatile to the point where we'd be good enough to beat anyone 4 games out of 7. Even in only 15-18 minutes, he could produce and allow chauncey to rest to the point where he'd be fresh in the playoffs.

This is what I meant when I said Nazr and Flip made us better, even though we're not favorite even with them.

Grant, Flip and Nazr would make us a better team next year than Ben Wallace alone. We'd definately be more veratile.

Again, the thought is too good to be true so I'm not holding out.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-15-2006 at 11:02 PM.

I wish, but after the whole amnesty clause deal, my hopes dwindled. It's not going to happen this year. Here's to hoping he's healthy enough next year, where there won't be anything stopping him from joining us but his will and his health.

Innovative Music Production.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    He was essentially the PG for our offense for 4 years.

We need a backup PG, and he'd be better at that job than anyone else on our bench.

I don't see the big deal with playing him at the 1. We can cover for him defensively no problem.
    I have a different view.

He is best served at SG/SF, IMO. Same with Fino. If we add Grant, we would be able to move Fino. Trade Fino for a PG, a young one preferably.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    Is this the thread where we request former Pistons?

If so, I'd like to request Three Mills.

Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

I think Kstat is trying to say he would play Hill at the PG position offensively (ball handling role) but on D Hill would not defend the PG.

Basically, Kstat is saying the same thing everyone else is saying but people have got to argue because Kstat is the target this off-season.

On Topic:

Grant Hill will not be bought out and the fucking person who even offers him a buy out should be shot by the fans of the Magic.

The guy has an expiring contract.
    The guy is a good locker room leader
    He's a good on court leader
    He's a good role model for the younger players
    He's a vet and the refs love him
    The guy is a decent player when healthy
    He doesn't bitch or moan about his role
    He doesn't bitch or moan about his playing time
    He's loved by the media
    Fans still love him.

And after years of paying him to sit on the sideline and wear a suit you now want to pay him to go away?

WTF?

The dumbest fucking rumour doing the rounds, and it's not even close.

OK, maybe that 6 team trade rumour was close, but it died quickly.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

i don't know pharoah. i wouldn't be so quick to discount it. your points are valid.

but think about it- orlando has a bunch of young players they want to develop. they respect hill a bunch so would probably be willing to listen to him if he asked out. he wants one last shot at being on a contender.

i think the magic just might accomodate him. they will still get their cap space when his deal comes off the books at the end of the year, right? plus they'd save a few million through the buyout.

i could see it happening for those very reasons.

i personally don't think it's all that far-fetched.

I think if they were going to buy him out it would have already happened.

That way he has more chances of landing a full MLE deal (possibly) and the Magic could lessen the buy out figure.

If he's making $16 mil, they could give him $11 mil to go away and the MLE from some other team makes up the difference.

Which teams still have the MLE (or part of it) to spend? I know Dallas is one team that has part of the MLE, but who else?
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    ummm a guy buying shares in another team isnt really who'd i'd want.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

+ Reply to Thread