1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: (Not as) Bad things in ATL

(Not as) Bad things in ATL

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...706owners.html

Stay grounds Hawks, Thrashers

By TIM TUCKER
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 07/07/06

Those are the results of a court order issued Thursday.

The Maryland judge who last month ruled that Belkin is entitled to buy out the other Hawks-Thrashers owners at cost issued a stay of the ruling Thursday, pending appeal, but he attached a significant condition to the stay.

He ordered that, pending appeal, the other owners are to "not initiate the purchase, sale, trade or negotiation of any NBA or NHL player contract ... excluding contracts involving present or future draft picks and contracts for any other player with a contract duration of one year or less."

Montgomery County (Md.) Circuit Court Judge Eric Johnson said in court that the order would not apply to players with whom negotiations already have been initiated, meaning, for example, that the Hawks apparently are free to complete their planned signing of free-agent point guard Speedy Claxton to a multiyear contract.
    Maybe we could get him cheap(would have to be a 3 way, though, as we don't have the expirings).

Mo Taylor and Danny Fortson seem like the most likely candidates.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsportscity
    http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...706owners.html

Stay grounds Hawks, Thrashers

By TIM TUCKER
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 07/07/06

Those are the results of a court order issued Thursday.

The Maryland judge who last month ruled that Belkin is entitled to buy out the other Hawks-Thrashers owners at cost issued a stay of the ruling Thursday, pending appeal, but he attached a significant condition to the stay.

He ordered that, pending appeal, the other owners are to "not initiate the purchase, sale, trade or negotiation of any NBA or NHL player contract ... excluding contracts involving present or future draft picks and contracts for any other player with a contract duration of one year or less."

Montgomery County (Md.) Circuit Court Judge Eric Johnson said in court that the order would not apply to players with whom negotiations already have been initiated, meaning, for example, that the Hawks apparently are free to complete their planned signing of free-agent point guard Speedy Claxton to a multiyear contract.
    Maybe we could get him cheap(would have to be a 3 way, though, as we don't have the expirings).

Sheed for Frye and Mo Taylor. Then Mo Taylor for Al Harrington... Do it Joe. Save the franchise. We'd be Charmin soft, but young and talented.

the court order specifically says "not initiate the purchase, sale, trade".

what the hell are you talking about? now that we're legally barred from doing a sign & trade with atl, its the time to pursue it? lol, good thinking.

i think nows the time to move up in the draft and grab rudy gay.

Wait....what the hell is this? Whats going on in ATL?

a court ordered that belkin is allowed to purchase the full ownership of the hawks. its being appealed right now. but until this is resolved, theyre basically barred from making anymore moves (unless they were working on them at the time of the "stay" order). good timing for a lawsuit. as mad as i am at the pistons, i can still happilly say it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    the court order specifically says "not initiate the purchase, sale, trade".

what the hell are you talking about? now that we're legally barred from doing a sign & trade with atl, its the time to pursue it? lol, good thinking.

i think nows the time to move up in the draft and grab rudy gay.
    EXCEPT THOSE THAT END AFTER THIS YEAR.

So he can still be traded, but not for anyone with a multi year contract. Therefor us doing a 3 way with a bigger expiring.

Or Dyess could guaruntee that he is opting out, and we could do Davis, Dyess, and a pick.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

i read the article. you might be right, but i think its moot. the order could be read either way, and technically, if they did a S&T with us, they would be signing harrington's deal for multi-years themselves, which might be a no-no. i doubt any hawks executive is willing to face contempt of court charges so they can do the detroit pistons a big favor.

its not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsportscity

EXCEPT THOSE THAT END AFTER THIS YEAR.

So he can still be traded, but not for anyone with a multi year contract. Therefor us doing a 3 way with a bigger expiring.

Or Dyess could guaruntee that he is opting out, and we could do Davis, Dyess, and a pick.
    You are correct sir. Though it sounds more likely that they let him walk by the sounds of it. Could get interesting since the capspace teams have mostly used it up. He could be screwed.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by FP22

Sheed for Frye and Mo Taylor. Then Mo Taylor for Al Harrington... Do it Joe. Save the franchise. We'd be Charmin soft, but young and talented.[/QUOTE]
    mo taylor and channing frye? no we're not that damn soft that we need to get softer just so we can be younger(i'm sorry but frye and mo are as soft as it gets). Keep sheed and pay no attention to atlantas issues at the moment. If harrington wants to sign with us, cool. but nothing to hold our breath about. honestly i just want one good slasher with no trades involved. get that and see what we can do with the youth we have. no adding more youth, we have enough youngsters on the team to develop as it is.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Yeah, Delfino, Maxiell and Amir is enough youth.

What?

Right now we're a playoff team, but I don't expect us to get past the second round.

And some here think the Orlando pick will be in the mid to late teens come June 2007, which doesn't get us much help for the following season.

Consider that Billups will want a ton of cash as well and what you're looking at right now could be our team for the next few years.

Some are going to be happy about being a playoff team and not contenders but others are gonna be pissed that we've become the Pacers.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

+ Reply to Thread