+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BBC apologises over on-air blast at Bush

BBC apologises over on-air blast at Bush

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...p?story=697462

BBC Northern Ireland last night apologised after leading Radio Ulster presenter Gerry Anderson told his listeners he wanted George Bush "to rot in hell".

The Radio Ulster host was presenting his morning show yesterday - July 4, US Independence Day - when he said it was also the American President's birthday.

After telling his listeners Mr Bush had just turned 60, he added: "May I say I hope you rot in hell".

Ironically, the popular presenter and Belfast Telegraph columnist got the birth date wrong - the current President celebrates his birthday tomorrow, July 6.

The US consulate described Mr Anderson's remarks as "regrettable" but spokesman Peter McKittrick diplomatically added: "Freedom of speech was one of the many values that all Americans were celebrating yesterday."

Mr Anderson was yesterday unavailable for comment but a BBC spokesman said: "We apologise for any offence caused."

One Radio Ulster listener, who contacted the Belfast Telegraph, said: "I couldn't believe what I was hearing, especially on Independence Day."

There were fears that Mr Anderson's comment may offend many of the 62,500 US tourists who visit Ulster each year.

A spokeswoman from the Belfast Visitor Convention Bureau said the comment could prove damaging to the province's tourist industry.

But added: "However, people are still entitled to have their own opinions on things and perhaps there may even be some American visitors who agree with Mr Anderson."
    You know, even though I do wish he were rotting in hell right now, it ticks me off that some assclown in another country is on the air saying it.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    You do understand thast he has said fuck off to quite a few countries*i.e. WOD and the iraq war*..we arent the only ones bush annoys directly.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

+ Reply to Thread