+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American V Humble review...

American V Humble review...

http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds

If any one wants to listen before it is released Tuesday.

I will first off by saying I am biast, I loved anything Johnny Cash touched. His ability to take songs and make them his own was such a finely tuned skill, it made you forget the orginal artist, with American V he did it again seemingly for the last time or (at least until American VI is released, the last in the American series). However for a Cash fan or music fan this album was his mortal goodbye, and you can hear it. On the cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "If you Could read my Mind" you can hear Johnny gasping for breath, and on other tracks you hear how the booming voice was being silenced. It is a dark and sad album full of regret, mortaility and reflection. It is a must have for any Cash fan, IMO. The album is accoustic and raw but a masterpiece nevertheless. The covers on this album are folk/country no rock this time but are just as owned and powerful as ever.

I was hesitant at first about the album fearing Rick Rubin's lust for cash may have overshadowed his musical sense but realized Johhny was in control and would have wanted it. It is a solid song selection but a tough listen knowing the struggles Johhny dealt with to make it.
    Last edited by JS; 07-03-2006 at 02:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks JS, I've been waiting for this.
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Check out Personal File, another great collection of Cash material which was also just released. It's likely to get overlooked in the wake of American V. Supposedly, there's tons of unreleased material. Live In Denmark also came out, and I've heard it's top-notch as well.

Rick Rubin certainly isn't about "lust for cash" here. Otherwise, he'd have put this aside for another of the bazillion superstars lining up to have him produce. He's already competing with himself as it is, given that the Dixie Chicks album he produced just came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    Check out Personal File, another great collection of Cash material which was also just released. It's likely to get overlooked in the wake of American V. Supposedly, there's tons of unreleased material. Live In Denmark also came out, and I've heard it's top-notch as well.

Rick Rubin certainly isn't about "lust for cash" here. Otherwise, he'd have put this aside for another of the bazillion superstars lining up to have him produce. He's already competing with himself as it is, given that the Dixie Chicks album he produced just came out.

The Dixie Chicks album is a top 10 album of the year, I loved it because it is gritty in your face kiss my ass type album with solid song writing. Personal File is fabulous also, a great cover on that is Saginaw, Michigan

+ Reply to Thread