+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jason Terry to sign 6 year | 50M dollar deal

Jason Terry to sign 6 year | 50M dollar deal

It pisses me off that Terry re-ups with Dallas immediately after a "breakout" postseason with a "hometown discount", and we're sitting here waiting for Ben to suck every penny out of this franchise.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14948129.htm

DALLAS — True to his word, Jason Terry will return to play for the Mavericks.

Terry and the Mavs agreed on a six-year contract early Saturday morning worth approximately $50 million.

“Everybody knows that at the end of the day our goal is to win a championship, and we came close last year,” Terry said. “And I truly believe in my future we’re going to win one and bring it home to Dallas.”

The chances of that happening have increased now that the Mavs have an agreement in place with Terry.

“We are very excited that Jason is committed to bringing a championship to Dallas,” Mavs owner Mark Cuban said. “Jet is a key to this team. He is one of the most clutch players in the league.”

While helping guide the Mavs to within two victories of their first NBA title, Terry averaged 17.1 points during the regular season and 22 points in the Finals against the Miami Heat.

Players aren’t eligible to sign free-agent contracts until July 12. Terry said his signing might be delayed because he’s slated to be in the Bahamas with his family at that time and isn’t scheduled to return to Dallas until July 17.

Still, knowing that his future has been secured takes a heavy burden off Terry.

“My main thing with the contract was to be able to secure my family and to have longevity,” Terry said. “I’m 28, and this contract will take me up to when I’m 34 and close to 35, and what more can you can ask?

“I’m in the prime of my career, and getting a long-term deal now was the No. 1 priority.”

With Terry back in the fold, the next step for the Mavs is to secure extensions for Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard. Both players are eligible for extensions, and Mavs management has said that both will be extended before the season starts.

Terry believes he, Nowitzki and Howard rival the Spurs’ trio of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

“We’ve got three young stars — two in their prime,” Terry said. “Josh has not even reached his full potential yet, but he’s well on his way.

“Now we can really grow and really reach our full potential together, and I think that’s very important.”

Because the Terry deal was consummated on the first day that free agents could begin negotiations, the seven-year veteran said it spoke volumes about the Mavs’ commitment to continuing with their winning ways.

“It means a lot to me with the commitment that they showed to me and just the support they’ve shown me all year-long,” Terry said. “That’s more important than anything, that you have a family environment. It makes your job a lot easier to go out and to perform.”

The Mavs acquired Terry in a trade with the Atlanta Hawks two summers ago after losing popular point guard Steve Nash to the Phoenix Suns via free agency.

While his new contract has provided some personal relief, Terry knows the work is just beginning for him and the Mavs.

“The money is great, and you definitely appreciate that part of it,” he said. “But you want to get that and be on a winning team.

“We play games to win, and you want that ultimate prize, and that’s the NBA championship.”
    Ben could learn a thing or two from him.

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    first reasonable deal this summer, the others all overspend thus far... Peja(5y/60), Radman(5y/31), Thomas(4y/26)

hometown discount? who was paying him more than 6 years, 50 million?

why is it ben could learn something from jason terry? why isnt it 'bill davidson could learn something from mark cuban'?

lol, if ben were a team player he'd sign for the minimum so that we can compete and bill davidson can line his pockets. screw ben wallace for looking out for himself and his familly for the first and only time in his career. what a selfish prick.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    It's a very good deal. Average of 8.3 Mil per year for the #2 option on a team that just went to the finals. And he was probably their best player consistantly during the finals. Most importantly, he doesn't drag it out. He doesn't shop around and make everyone sweat, just to jack the price up. I respect that.

why is it ben could learn something from jason terry? why isnt it 'bill davidson could learn something from mark cuban'?
    Cuban is the guy that let Nash go 2 years ago because of $$$, and cut Michael Finley for the sole purpose of not paying his luxury tax. I agree that Bill could learn something from Cuban about opening the wallets up, but this franchise has been nothing but consistantly loyal to Ben. He should be given a fair deal a little over his value (for previous services), but not double like it's looking. Giving older players monster deals just because you can is asking to turn into the Knicks (see Penny and Allan Houston)
    lol, if ben were a team player he'd sign for the minimum so that we can compete and bill davidson can line his pockets. screw ben wallace for looking out for himself and his familly for the first and only time in his career. what a selfish prick.
    Way to completely exagerate everything. Minimum? I'd roll my eyes to that, but we don't have smilies. He's looking at an offer starting around 11-12 million and climbing from us. BIG difference. We're willing to overpay, but he's trying to play games to cripple us in the future (regardless of what Bill Davidson can pay out). That IS being selfish.
    Last edited by FP22; 07-01-2006 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FP22
    It's a very good deal. Average of 8.3 Mil per year for the #2 option on a team that just went to the finals. And he was probably their best player consistantly during the finals. Most importantly, he doesn't drag it out. He doesn't shop around and make everyone sweat, just to jack the price up. I respect that.

Cuban is the guy that let Nash go 2 years ago because of $$$, and cut Michael Finley for the sole purpose of not paying his luxury tax. I agree that Bill could learn something from Cuban about opening the wallets up, but this franchise has been nothing but consistantly loyal to Ben. He should be given a fair deal a little over his value (for previous services), but not double like it's looking. Giving older players monster deals just because you can is asking to turn into the Knicks (see Penny and Allan Houston)
    Way to completely exagerate everything. Minimum? I'd roll my eyes to that, but we don't have smilies. He's looking at an offer starting around 11-12 million and climbing from us. BIG difference. We're willing to overpay, but he's trying to play games to cripple us in the future (regardless of what Bill Davidson can pay out). That IS being selfish.
    1) again, how is it a discount? no one was giving jason terry more than 6 for 50. it was a very fair deal. im sure if jason thought he could get a better deal else where, he wouldnt have jumped on dallas's offer.

2) steven nash was replaced by two players that are perhaps better and led the mavs to greater success than nash ever did or would. the same will not be said about ben.

3) finley would have cost 30 million to keep, but wasnt even an mle player at that point. we're hoping bill will just pay a couple million in luxury tax, so this doesnt even compare to bill davidson. and again, he was replaced by better players/success.

4) how has this team been loyal to ben? by enjoying the best bargain in the nba for 5 consecutive years? you do realize, whether ben signs for one dollar or one billion dollars it will not have any affect on this team's offseason competitive abilities for the duration of the contract. the only difference between 10 million and 16 million is how much goes in ben's pocket and how much goes in bill davidson's. ben wallace has far less money than 100 million dollars, probably far less than 30 million. as hard as it is to imagine, this contract will have an impact on the life ben leads from here on out. meanwhile, bill davidson has probably more than 1000x more money than ben. ben wallace works for his money. bill davidson's money works for his money.

and ps: the market determines a player's worth, not your subjective opiniion. if chicago offers ben 15 million/year, then that is what he's worth. so i dont get what you mean by "a deal a little over his value".

and as extreme as anything i've said in this thread, your comment stating ben sucking this franchise dry was the most extreme.

2) steven nash was replaced by two players that are perhaps better and led the mavs to greater success than nash ever did or would. the same will not be said about ben.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't think I am), but Dallas was way over the cap when Nash walked, so there is no way they added more than the MLE in salary. They TRADED players. They didn't spend as much as they would have on Nash. And they could have brought in Nash AND spent the MLE, so he must have blown their chance at a title because he was cheap, eh?
    3) finley would have cost 30 million to keep, but wasnt even an mle player at that point.
    So? He was their 2nd best player. Maybe keeping him would have put them over the top? How do we know? In the end he sacrificed the team to save a buck.
    4) how has this team been loyal to ben? by enjoying the best bargain in the nba for 5 consecutive years? you do realize, whether ben signs for one dollar or one billion dollars it will not have any affect on this team's offseason competitive abilities for the duration of the contract. the only difference between 10 million and 16 million is how much goes in ben's pocket and how much goes in bill davidson's. ben wallace has far less money than 100 million dollars, probably far less than 30 million. as hard as it is to imagine, this contract will have an impact on the life ben leads from here on out. meanwhile, bill davidson has probably more than 1000x more money than ben. ben wallace works for his money. bill davidson's money works for his money.
    It does affect the offseason and future if we give him a huge deal for 5-6 years. When he's making 18 mil in 5 years we'd be hating that contract. And no matter what you say, there is only 1 owner in the league that is willing to spend every penny it takes. He happens to be the owner of the biggest joke in pro sports. Look at teams like Phoenix (who traded their picks this year for cash) or San Antonio (won't go over the Lux Limit), etc. Most of the successful teams in the league don't go handing 80 million dollar deals to 32 year olds. It's just not smart for the long term success of the franchise.

and ps: the market determines a player's worth, not your subjective opiniion. if chicago offers ben 15 million/year, then that is what he's worth. so i dont get what you mean by "a deal a little over his value".
    Just like Marbury is worth his deal or Jalen Rose is worth his. Just because someone is willing to pay it doesn't mean they're worth it.

and as extreme as anything i've said in this thread, your comment stating ben sucking this franchise dry was the most extreme.
    Ben looking for a Max-type deal for 5-6 years at his age WOULD be. It would make it very tough to add new talent and re-sign the talent we already have. That's why Joe is willing to pay a fair price. I can't blame him. He doesn't want handcuffs in 3-6 years when, based on this season, we may not even contend now.
    Last edited by FP22; 07-02-2006 at 12:44 AM.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Anyone wanna take bets on what happens to Devin Harris?

+ Reply to Thread