+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons: The future of the NBA at stake in Finals (very long, but good article)

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    If Miami wins the title, the new NBA slogan may be: "Free throws! They're FAN-tastic!"

FlexZo, Payton and Fatoine got a ring now...

if i didnt love the Pistons so much, i would quit following the NBA right now

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Asberry
    If Miami wins the title, the new NBA slogan may be: "Free throws! They're FAN-tastic!"

FlexZo, Payton and Fatoine got a ring now...

Well said. I'm with you on that.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Asberry
    Basically thats where i'm at. I'm done with non-pistons games. Its unfortunate that my money for pistons gear, products, and ratings goes to the NBA. But never again do i give it to another team in this joke of a league. No props to heat fans, no respect for any rival fans or fans period that enjoy this shit. cleveland fans lebron is good, but he isnt a basketball god. his and wade's growth may both get stunted with them not having to work for poiints anymore.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."
    I also agree. Maybe it's time to re-focus on college basketball. Less cheating, more good basketball.

Loved the article GD

The line about dating Stack's sister? LMMFAO

The whole thing about the refs? 100% agree.

And if anyone wants to go back and watch those games where MJ got all those calls you'd see that the refs weren't as bad as they are now.

It's a fucking joke. THIS is World Championship basketball?
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

miami heat are a terrible championship... but:

its a winning formula.

hunger+coaching+not great competition=championship most years.

why did miami win? give them credit, they outplayed their opponents. they have great coaching, and they played offense "the right way" (meaning they took the ball inside damn near every possession, and the otherones usually were wade taking an outside jumper-just as good). yes, miami got all the calls, and the calls were beyond obsurd. but its still a winning formula.

dallas's team is a fucking joke. theyre the pistons of the west. in the 3rd quarter, i think they took a jumpshot of every possession. they would get up big and then take their foot off the gas. they got scared in crunch time. they became obsessed with the refs.

pistons would eaily have won the title this year with 1/2 their talent if they had better coaching and were hungrier. forget about injuries, fatigue, or any other excuse. this miami team sucks and they have as many rings as this version of the pistons. god am i pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    miami heat are a terrible championship... but:

its a winning formula.

hunger+coaching+not great competition=championship most years.
    its more like coaching+the refs in your back pocket+no other team having a2 bonafide commercial superstars=handjob championships from stern.
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh
    It's a fucking joke.
    this seems to be the sentiment of most of us. Miami couldn't score 70 points a game if Wade doesnt get to the line on "violation of the nba 2 foot restraining order" fouls. The NBA is in need of a revolt. Fans need to speak on the shithole that is the NBA head offices. With all the praise stern gets, the truth is that he's a hypocrite joke. He campaigned to get the NBA worldwide, then bitches about the developmental league not working out because of foreign players taking up spots. He's turned the NBA into a euroleague, and i dont mean because of the european players. Because of the soft rules. Playing euroleague ball is no different anymore.
    ^

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Of course, let's look at the future of the NBA from Stern's perspective:

He's got a product on the decline from the heydey of the '90s. He just had a playoffs featuring two reasonably-exciting MVP candidates rate only slightly better than our playoffs last year. Disney's overpayment for TV rights ends in a couple years and means some sort of nasty showdown unless he can kick it up a notch. He's had bad owners that pissed on huge NBA markets (Charlotte with Shinn, Atlanta with Belkin, and NY with Dolan). And, right or wrong, he doesn't want to resort to Las Vegas. Look at the desperation TV scheduling antics that were played in our series against LeBron.

What do you do to make the product on the court match something that folks want to see, but still resembles basketball? How do you expand your reach to account for the decline in TV viewing and the rise of the online generation?

+ Reply to Thread