+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: WTFDetroit presents "Detroit's Top 25 Recording Artists of All Time" -- NOMINATE NOW

Anyone else starting to think that the pool isn't big enough for a top 25 to spark any interesting debate about who gets left off the list?

Another angle is old school vs new school.

For old school I'd rank Stevie Wonder as #1 weighing the born-and-raised factor strongly and his overall standing/impact.

New school I think would be a good cage match between May/Saunderson/Atkins, the White Stripes and Eminem. Even though Eminem is a megastar and the White Stripes gave a tepid detroit rock scene a serious shot of adrenalin and national exposure... I'd give the edge to the belleville three for really making detroit the cradle of house/techno in much the same way that new york is broadly viewed as the birthplace of rap/hip hop.

Overall I like to give a lot of weight to what the artist/act did to put the detroit music scene on the map in their time. A lot of the nominees so far made it big but none of that star power ever really shined locally except as a biographical footnote.
    Last edited by geerussell; 06-21-2006 at 11:51 AM.

After listening to Baby Let Me Take You on my ipod,
    I realized that we missed the “Detroit Emeralds” for this list.
    This is still a jam. People have sampled this song for years.

Geerussell. I think this pool is maybe halfway filled. More to come...

Uncle Kracker

You're also missing a lot of motown guys. I don't know much about them, but Smokey Robinson is one of them.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Check your PMs
    Updated verified list:

Kid Rock
    Eminem
    Aretha Franklin
    Madonna
    Anita Baker
    Stevie Wonder
    Iggy Pop
    MC5
    The White Stripes
    Alice Cooper
    George Clinton
    Taproot
    The Verve Pipe
    Bob Seger
    Diana Ross/Supremes
    Xzibit
    John Lee Hooker
    Ted Nugent
    Slum Village
    Jay Dee
    MC Breed
    Royce Da 5'9"
    The Belleville Three
    Bill Haley
    ? and the Mysterians
    The Funk Brothers
    George Benson (the sax player, not the singer)
    Jackie Wilson
    The Spinners
    Be Be & Ce Ce Winans
    Ray Parker Jr.
    The Temptations
    Sonny Bono
    The Four Tops
    The Reflections
    Smokey Robinson
    The Vandellas
    Wilson Pickett
    Glenn Frey
    Insane Clown Posse
    Betty Carter
    Uncle Kracker
    Detroit Emeralds

Blog Entries
    Can anyone expand on the Jackson 5's Detroit connection other than being signed to the MoTown label and doing some recording there?

I've always thought about them as a Gary, Indiana act that later moved to California. They may have had a Detroit base for some time, but I'm hoping that someone here knows more specifics and can enlighten us on the history before we add them to the list.

Also, I don't see Grand Funk Railroad yet, so I'll add them on the next update.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Uncle Kracker

You're also missing a lot of motown guys. I don't know much about them, but Smokey Robinson is one of them.
    I threw him in earlier.

The Dayton Family

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I think the pool is pretty huge. I could come up with 25 great acts of just the Motown era and they'd be reasonably well-known names with songs everyone would know to sing to and identify with Motown. Indeed, probably the only reason you wouldn't know which name to associate with which song is because there's so many of 'em:

1) Stevie Wonder
    2) Aretha Franklin (who never was part of Motown Records proper)
    3) Marvin Gaye
    4) Smokey Robinson + Miracles
    5) The Temptations
    6) Four Tops
    7) Diana Ross + Supremes
    8) Edwin Starr
    9) Gladys Knight + Pips
    10) Mary Wells
    11) Martha Reeves + Vandellas
    12) The Marvelettes
    13) Isley Brothers
    14) Tammi Terrell
    15) The Contours
    16) Junior Walker + All Stars
    17) The Spinners
    18) Barrett Strong
    19) Kim Weston
    20) Wilson Pickett
    21) The Capitols
    22) The Originals
    23) Jackie Wilson
    24) Brenda Holloway

But -- can I hit #25? Perhaps I should reserve #25 for:

The secret weapons behind the scenes:

Holland-Dozier-Holland
    Ashford+Simpson
    The Funk Brothers
    The Andantes
    Norman Whitfield

Or, the Motown acts that were bigger in the U.K. than the U.S., like the Velvelettes and Chris Clark.

Nahhh... I'll let someone tell me which big Motown-era act(s) I missed for #25.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Can anyone expand on the Jackson 5's Detroit connection other than being signed to the MoTown label and doing some recording there?

I've always thought about them as a Gary, Indiana act that later moved to California. They may have had a Detroit base for some time, but I'm hoping that someone here knows more specifics and can enlighten us on the history before we add them to the list.
    They lived in Detroit for a few months between Indiana and California. Berry Gordy moved them to California shortly after he moved himself to California, owing to the riots.

The Jackson 5's first couple big singles were recorded at Hitsville, along with sporadic material going through Hitsville. Hitsville was often batting cleanup since they couldn't get the sound quite right at Motown-West, with tapes often flying back and forth. The last big act to have any recorded material go through Hitsville was the Commodores, and they were never part of the Detroit scene.
    Last edited by Uncle Mxy; 06-21-2006 at 02:45 PM.

I'm going to rephrase my post about the Jackson 5 from earlier.

Here:

With all do respect, I don't think the Jackson 5 belong,
    but if it bumps ICP off the top 25, I'm all for it.

+ Reply to Thread