+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: WTFDetroit presents "Detroit's Top 25 Recording Artists of All Time" -- NOMINATE NOW

Check your PMs

WTFDetroit presents "Detroit's Top 25 Recording Artists of All Time" -- NOMINATE NOW

Over the next few weeks, WTFDetroit.com posters will identify Detroit's Top 25 Recording Artists of All Time.

Here is how the process will work:
    1. Using this thread, posters can nominate any Michigan born/based recording artists for inclusion in the final ballot. Please note that artists from any part of Michigan are eligible for nomination. This nomination period is open from now until July 25, 2006.

2. Posters are encouraged to nominate artists/groups that they view as the most significant in Detroit music history.

The criteria is simple:
    a) quality of artist/group's overall body of work
    b) overall influence on the music industry
    c) all/any genres are acceptable
    d) must be Michigan born and/or based

3. Posters can nominate as many acts as they would like over the nomination period. The Syndicate will judge whether or not nominations are valid, and if they are, they will be added to the official nomination ballot (a running list that will be updated frequently).

4. Once the nomination period is over, an official final ballot will be posted. We will then enter the voting/balloting period where people can email or PM their lists (in ranked order) of up to 25 nominees. They can also send in fewer if they'd like to.

5. Once the voting period ends, the results will be compiled, and they will be unveiled in a full length WTF Front Page feature article.

6. As a special bonus, one voter will be selected at random to receive a valuable prize (prize TBD).
    We're really hoping to get a lot of participation on this so we can produce the best quality list at the end, and it could make for some great debate/conversation as well.

With that, it's time to start nominating acts for Detroit's Top 25 Recording Artists of All Time. Feel free to discuss your own nominations and the nominations of others in this thread.

Thanks!

I gotta throw in Seger in at #3.

Those are my three!

Off the top of my head in no particular order...

Aretha Franklin
    Madonna
    Anita Baker
    Stevie Wonder

Blog Entries
    ...now we're talking^

Iggy Pop
    MC5
    The White Stripes
    Alice Cooper
    Find a new slant.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    George Clinton
    Alice Cooper
    Madonna
    The Syndicate (for obvious reasons)
    Taproot
    The Verve Pipe
    The White Stripes
    Last edited by The Syndicate; 06-20-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Stevie Wonder
    George Clinton
    Madonna
    Anita Baker
    Bob Seger
    Eminem
    Kid Rock
    Diana Ross
    Iggy Pop
    White Stripes
    Xzibit
    John Lee Hooker
    Ted Nugent
    Slum Village
    MC5
    MOLA1

Check your PMs
    Updated list:

Kid Rock
    Eminem
    Aretha Franklin
    Madonna
    Anita Baker
    Stevie Wonder
    Iggy Pop
    MC5
    The White Stripes
    Alice Cooper
    George Clinton
    Taproot
    The Verve Pipe
    Bob Seger
    Diana Ross
    Xzibit
    John Lee Hooker
    Ted Nugent
    Slum Village

Jay Dee - http://www.stonesthrow.com/jdilla/discography.html he IS Detroit Hip-Hop. Nuff said.

MC Breed - Ain't No Future in Yo Frontin' and Let's Go to the Club might not guarantee
    him to go to the top 25. I know you gotta get yours, but we ain't frontin' Breed.

Royce Da 5'9" - He's short and his career has been pretty short compared to
    some of these old timers, but once the "no brainers" were laid out, I thought
    that Royce'd be a good choice simply because he's one of the illest in the D.

Obie Trice - Real name, no gimmicks. I love Obie but with a discography
    shorter than Chumawumba's, a top 25 is too much too soon for my man.
    I'll buy you a drink for leaving you off the list homie Obie.
    Last edited by MOLA1; 06-20-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Top 3

Stevie Wonder
    Bob Seger
    Eminem

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Let's pull out some huge Detroit music folks that y'all forget about:

The Belleville Three (Atkins, Saunderson, May) are responsible for Detroit techno and unquestionably deserve to be listed.

Bill Haley (of Bill Haley and the Comets -- first big rock and roll band in history, Rock Around The Clock, etc.) was born and raised in Detroit.

? and the Mysterians ("96 Tears") was THE first group ever labelled as "punk rock", among the first Latino rock bands, and legitimately spacey dudes!

The Funk Brothers: They're the studio band for damn near every Motown song you ever heard, and a ton you didn't. Played on more #1 hits than any band ever.
    Last edited by Uncle Mxy; 06-20-2006 at 01:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread