+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dwayne Jarrett must apply for reinstated eligibility

Welcome to Detroit...Oregon. Home to Detroit Lake and nothing else.

Dwayne Jarrett must apply for reinstated eligibility

...after the NCAA ruled him ineligible due to his not paying the rent on an apartment he shared with Leinart. (That story is in my paper if you guys don't mind checking it out.)

This may not mean anything other than 1) the NCAA finally takes a fucking stand for once in its goddamn life against a high-profile player and 2) how long this process takes Jarrett could be noteworthy.

And, to piss Denny off, I don't have a link because I'm too lazy/saw it on ESPN.

I saw this on the internet, sucks for him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...v=ap&type=lgns

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California's Dwayne Jarrett violated NCAA rules by not paying enough rent for the apartment he shared with Matt Leinart and was declared ineligible -- though the All-America receiver might not miss any playing time.

Jarrett must apply for reinstatement with the NCAA before he can play this season and he might have to repay several thousand dollars to Leinart's father, who paid most of the rent on the apartment.

ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said Friday a case like this can be resolved in three ways: a student-athlete can be denied reinstatement; regain eligibility with no conditions attached; or be required to miss games and/or pay back the extra benefit.

"It depends on the particular circumstances involved in each case," Williams said.

USC's compliance office requested the NCAA's assistance in determining whether a violation had occurred because Jarrett paid less than half of what Leinart's father said was a $3,866-per-month lease.

"We're aware that the NCAA has deemed this to be a violation of the extra benefit rule," USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said. "This summer, USC will apply for Jarrett's reinstatement of eligibility and hope for a decision prior to the start of the season."

USC officials began investigating the matter following a published report in late April that a possible violation had occurred.

Leinart's father, Bob, put the two players on the lease at a secured apartment complex downtown after Leinart moved out of his former residence near campus, where he was being hounded by fans.

Leinart and Jarrett each paid $650 a month, with Leinart's father paying $2,566 -- the difference of the monthly payment.

"The information submitted by the University of Southern California regarding the living arrangements of the two football student-athletes represents a violation of NCAA extra benefit rules," the NCAA said in a statement issued Thursday, adding that a reinstatement application from USC would be handled "in a timely matter."

Pete Carroll was quoted as saying that he doesn't expect Jarrett to miss any time, though. So what's that? He broke a financial rule, and the severity is SEVERAL thousand dollars, and ALL he has to do is possibly pay the money back and reapply? That's it? Seriously, if this were done at, say, Texas A & M maybe, or some other school that once was great but is down right now, the player would likely be gone, possibly the school would forfeit games he played in, maybe lose some scholarships, etc.

So Unibomber gives the NCAA props for doing SOMETHING. I rip the NCAA for hardly doing anything. With this, the Bush family residence, and other incidents, it's crystal clear that off the field USC is doing things FAR from what the NCAA claims is acceptable. And yet nothing. Add this to their inability to penalize Ohio State for their numerous infractions over the past 5-10 years and it's another black eye for the NCAA and free ride for two top 10 programs.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Welcome to Detroit...Oregon. Home to Detroit Lake and nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    So Unibomber gives the NCAA props for doing SOMETHING. I rip the NCAA for hardly doing anything. With this, the Bush family residence, and other incidents, it's crystal clear that off the field USC is doing things FAR from what the NCAA claims is acceptable. And yet nothing. Add this to their inability to penalize Ohio State for their numerous infractions over the past 5-10 years and it's another black eye for the NCAA and free ride for two top 10 programs.
    I totally see where you come from. But I look at this compared to the Reggie Bush case, and I can't help but think that Reggie's scenario is far worse. Yes, this scandal is doing a good job of tearing USC a new asshole, but semantics-wise, Reggie Bush is so obviously guilty that if the NCAA does nothing with him (and that appears where they're headed), then yes--the NCAA is fucking corrupt, USC is the next Ohio State, injustice and hypocrisy rule again, colleges will get away with ANYTHING.

USC, in the Jarrett case, appears guilty of not caring to know whether or not Jarrett was paying his own rent. That should be an infraction, but it's not, so they're not going to suffer. The NCAA is making them own up to this somewhat, but there's a long way to go.

+ Reply to Thread