+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawking: Humanity Lost If We Don't Colonize Space

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    or unknown chemical imbalances resulting from the atmosphere there. Mars isnt meant to contain human life. stick to watching total recall and event horizon. because thats as close as you're gonna get. we can't get hybrid cars dominating the market w/o political resistence. Society is too dumb and arrogant to advance that fast. shyt we still havent caught up on the ozone and its effect on us now. its a joke that people even dispute that. Fuck NASA, put that money into earth, because there will be nowhere else for us to live EVER.

the idea of the matrix has a better chance than the total recall/star trek theory of happening. I do think theres plenty of advances to be made on earth. not many beyond earth though.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Someone check and see if WTFMars.com is taken. We could corner the market.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

No one will be breathing the Martian atmosphere (mostly CO2), like Earth in a couple thousand years =) . Not to mention how thin it is. Though I guess living in structures surrounded by the stuff might cause something.

Earth need not be a utopia before people start leaving it (who wants to leave a Utopia?). Creating boats that sail beyond the sight of land was just as complicated and hard to imagine at one time. Starting colonies in the New World, just as hard/possible. We already know how to get there and basically what to do to stay there. Only thing left is to fund it, do it, and discover the problems you only find while being there.

An advancement like colonizing other planets isn't some kind of vacation project to be done only after we figure out all our "real" problems "down here". Its another step in the ladder of evolution. At some point, even if there is now natural disaster that terrorizes the planet, humans are going to need the space and resources of somewhere else. Everywhere will be as crowded as those Japanese hotels where your room is a capsule. More space has always helped civilizations ills.
    Last edited by Fool; 06-15-2006 at 04:31 PM.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    How cool would it be to be the guy who gets to pronounce this?

I mean of course that's the next real step in terms of growing as a species (growing in the physical extention sense). Who really cares how far off it is, because its not nearly as far off as it seemed say in the 1800s.

But to be the guy who says, "Look, this is what we need to be focusing on in this area." He's pretty much taking up the role of any of hundreds of characters in the sci/fi genre for the last century. That would jsut be fun to do.

The article is all about how this isn't his area but I think that's part of why he's doing it. Its not a pronouncement of an agenda or a real timeline its an inspirational message and really its the only angle that makes space interesting again. Who the fuck cares if they send another pair of binoculars out to some asteroid in a decaying orbit around Venus. "Sweet, lets count the holes on it!" Lunar-Volleyball Leagues. That's where the excitement is.
    you must not have read jules verne, he thought we could just fire a cannon and we'd get to the moon.

interesting ideas, though. how sweet would it be to fly around in space? im in.

Q: why are dinasaurs extinct?

A: they didnt have a space progam.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    first off, hawking = genious. i always wondered why he didnt concentrate on his own neurological disease rather than space.

but anyway... i saw a special on tv a month or two ago talking about colonizing space or another planet. it wasnt focused on if we need to or anything, but just what it would take. it would take 200 people, specifically selected by genetic screening to ensure the most diverse gene pool possible. each couple would need to have either two or three kids, cant remember exactly. the next five generations after the initial 200 people, will have been previously mapped out as far as who has kids with who (this is all based on couples, not reproducing with a number of different people because its better that way as far as inbred genes). after the five generations, people would be able to reproduce with whomever they want withough fear of inbred genes, aside from the obvious sibling, cousins, and whatnot. it was pretty interesting, either on discovery or natl geographic channel.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    i'm sorry but the idea is pretty corny. in a couple thousand years who sees the earth being here? Sometimes genius doesnt equate to common sense. evolution on earth is believed to have taken millions of years. evolution on mars in a couple thousand years isnt even half way likely if thats the case.

heres a question. who thought we'd have flying cars by now back in the 80's or atleast something that didnt run on oil dominating the market?
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutz Gatsu
    i'm sorry but the idea is pretty corny. in a couple thousand years who sees the earth being here? Sometimes genius doesnt equate to common sense. evolution on earth is believed to have taken millions of years. evolution on mars in a couple thousand years isnt even half way likely if thats the case.

heres a question. who thought we'd have flying cars by now back in the 80's or atleast something that didnt run on oil dominating the market?
    In a couple thousand years who sees the Earth being here? Evolution on mars in a couple thousand years?

I gotta say Gutz, I'm not really following you here.
    Last edited by Fool; 06-16-2006 at 12:33 AM.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutz Gatsu

In a couple thousand years who sees the Earth being here? Evolution on mars in a couple thousand years?

I gotta say Gutz, I'm not really following you here.
    You would not be the first. But gutz is great. He provides pron. He can stay.

+ Reply to Thread