Jun 11, 4:54 AM EDT

U.S.: 3 Gitmo inmates hanged themselves

Military officials said the suicides were coordinated acts of protests, but human rights activists and defense attorneys said the deaths signalled the desperation of many of the 460 detainees held on suspicion of links to al-Qaida and the Taliban. Only 10 have been charged with crimes and there has been growing international pressure on the U.S. to close the prison.

"They hung themselves with fabricated nooses made out of clothes and bed sheets," Navy Rear Adm. Harry Harris told reporters in a conference call from the U.S. base in southeastern Cuba.

"They have no regard for human life," he said. "Neither ours nor their own. I believe this was not an act of desperation but an act of asymmetric warfare against us."
When I read a quote like that, I start to think:

Is our military:

(a) brainwashed;

(b) rationalizing things in their own heads so they don't feel guilty about abusing other human beings; or

(c) correct. They killed themselves to wage psychological warfare on the guards.

I don't know that any of us, including me, has the answer to this one, but there's definitely a question raised by that quote (unless you watch FoxNews, at which point you'd accept c as correct no matter what, and then you'd call the person next to you a bad american).