+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 155
FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 ... LastLast

Thread: Official WTFDetroit Movie Review Thread

Yeah, I never read the Golden Compass. But... that movie was terrible. Pan's Labyrinth, on the other hand, probably the best movie I've seen since Gladiator.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Pan's Labyrinth was truly great.

The "His Dark Materials" books are actually really great. I didn't like them so much at first because I thought the author was trying to do too many "fantasy" things at once - pseudo-medievalism, animal familiars, alternate universes, witches, etc. But as the story goes on, you can see what he's trying to get at: that the world is a marvelously complicated place, children are capable of amazing things that we as adults cannot do, and indoctrinating children into a religion from a young age is a terrible thing to do.

Blog Entries
    I saw Burn After Reading yesterday...

Extremely well cast and well written. None of the movie really makes any rigorous sense, but it's got some sharp humor.

I finally watched the Dark Knight. Pretty good, 8.8/10

Hellboy II: A fun flick, very predictable though and not much to it. 7/10

The Chronicles of Narnia 1: I knew what was going to happen throughout, but it was still a great movie. 8.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    I saw Burn After Reading yesterday...

Extremely well cast and well written. None of the movie really makes any rigorous sense, but it's got some sharp humor.
    I saw that last night too. I was like "what the fuck, where is this story going" but then the conversations at the CIA were hilarious. Waiting for the punchline was so worth it.

Saw "Choke" over the weekend.

Hmmm. Not entirely sure what to make of it. If you like Chuck Palahniuk, a LOT, you're likely to enjoy the movie. If you've ever read anything by that guy, you know he writes about a lot of fucked up stuff. Age-related dementia, public masturbation, kidnapping, fraud, depravity, desecration of holy relics, you know the drill.

Palahniuk always writes about the same thing - a person is managing to get by perfectly fine living a terribly disturbed life but somehow is suddenly shaken to the core by something very simple and pure. Then he or she has to try to make sense out of their senseless existence.

"Choke" is about the perfect example of the Palahniuk storyline, and I think it may be the best possible movie you could make from one of his novels. However, I don't think it's very likely that anyone will ever try it again. It's a good enough movie, and Sam Rockwell is ... well, not totally believable, because the story is so insane, but he certainly is a good actor.

Most of the supporting cast is kind of "meh" but it's a decent movie. Definitely not one for squeamish people, older folks, or dates.

I was strung along to see "Eagle Eye" over the weekend. Not a bad flick if you don't mind having your intelligence insulted time after time. Action? Check (and lots of it). Plot? I guess you could call it that. Believability? Absolutely not. The first scene was the only scene that I believed, whereas the rest of the movie was plot hole after plot hole.

I thought of it as "I, Robot" for dummies. Still, if you want to turn your brain off and watch explosions and car chases (which every guy needs to see every once in a while), go for it.

4 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Sorry, but Shia LeBeef is on my list.

* Robin Williams
    * Shia LeBooof
    * Nicholas Cage
    * Vin Diesel
    * Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    * Keanu Reeves
    * Renee Zellweger
    * Will Smiff
    ... and my list is growing all the time.

He seems slightly out of place on that list. Any specific reason for the hate?

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    I can't stand the kid either. I think I posted as much a few months ago.

Very Keanu-ish.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread