+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 155
FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread: Official WTFDetroit Movie Review Thread

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    Saw "Smokin' Aces" over the weekend. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad. I went into it expecting it to be a bloody mess, with no plot and terrible acting... but I was pleasantly surprised. Is it going to win awards? No. The plot twist: you can see it coming from a mile away. But if you want to go in and be entertained, it's a good movie. The acting wasn't too bad, especially by the newcomers Alicia Keys and Common.

****SPOILER ALERT****

(Plus Ben Afflack dies early)

***END***
    Just saw it and I mostly agree.

Great fucking characters
    Sucky twist of plot
    Alicia Keys is hot

Any movie that kills Ben monologue Affleck in the first half hour gets props in my book.

Superbad: 8/10

Agreed on the too long thoughts. Still very funny though.

Blog Entries
    Anyone seen the ATHF movie?
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Anyone seen the ATHF movie?
    Of course. I think I reviewed it earlier in the thread. You could either have fun looking for it, or I'll give you a quick overview:

If you follow the show closely, you'll think it's hilarious. It's very weird and out there, but that's what we've come to expect from ATHF. It's funny because there were many episodes where they had trouble filling the 15 minute time slot, so a 1 1/2 hour movie is an accomplishment for them. A lot of the jokes are recycled, but I liked that.

If you don't watch the show, good luck figuring out what's going on.

8/10 for followers.
    1.5/10 for non-followers.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mo.

I burned the first 8-10 episodes onto a CD a few years ago when the show first came out, watched them all a bunch. Maybe I'll go back and watch them again before watching the movie.

I remember particularly enjoying the one with the little miner doll, something "Harry" or something. And of course the Danzig episode was great, too.
    Find a new slant.

Happy Time Harry. Freaking gold.

Happy Time Harry: No, I don't come with a firearm, but I got these: Action Bills!
    Meatwad: I thought you were supposed to dance.
    Happy Time Harry: Nah man, I gotta be totally ripped to do that.

You certainly have to have a weird sense of humor to like that show.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Superbad was hilarious. I give it a 9/10. Those cops were funny.
    Destiny

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Simpsons movie:

It is a HUGE improvement over the show, and I realize that's not saying very much these days - the show has sucked for a good 7 or 8 years now. But some things happened in this movie that I could just not freakin' believe:
    • Male nudity
    • Drug Use
    • Profanity
    • Jokes that actually fit into the storyline
    • The whole thing is more than just "oh hay guys look, Homer's stupid."
    • Other members of the Simpson family actually get to have some screen time
    • Ned Flanders is treated as more than just a target for mockery, and actually delivers one of the best jokes in the movie
    • Homer and Marge have a marital problem that genuinely has a chance of splitting them up

Now, of course, the movie is a crude attempt to cash in on the TV show, and they admit as much repeatedly in the story. But it is still a good movie.

My Rating: 8/10 stars
    Probable rating if you burn one before you see it: 13/10 stars

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    The Painted Veil

None of you guys are ever going to see this movie. It's a historical drama starring Naomi Watts, Edward Norton, and Liev Schreiber. I rented it with my wife last week and I have to say, I thought it was really outstanding.

The story is about English colonialists living in China during the 1920s. Edward Norton is a stuffy, upper-crust bacteriologist who works in Shanghai. He returns to England for a brief stay, and has a to-do list: eat some good old-fashioned English food, see old friends, get married, and stock up for the return trip.

Did I say "get married"? Yeah, this guy's kind of a dork. But he runs into a free-spirited girl (Naomi Watts) who is happy to do whatever she pleases as long as "mum" and dad are footing the bill. But they happen to let slip that they are sick of footing the bill, so after some awkward dates, she rushes into marriage with the bacteriologist and heads off for Shanghai.

After moving to Shanghai, she wastes no time starting an affair with a friend of the doctor, a married diplomat (Liev Schreiber) and she is caught. Norton gives her three options: one, he divorces her and tells everyone why, and she will be a social outcast. Two, she schleps with him to a piss-poor Chinese village that's being wiped out by a cholera epidemic. Three, she can walk away scot-free if she can convince the diplomat to leave his wife and marry her instead.

Anyone who's not a self-involved 20-year-old girl can pretty much see that she had better get her shots. But after they start dealing with the cholera village, that's when this movie starts getting good. Just to give you some idea: everything I've so far said happens in the first 25 minutes of the movie.

My rating: 9/10

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Swami
    Simpsons movie:

It is a HUGE improvement over the show, and I realize that's not saying very much these days - the show has sucked for a good 7 or 8 years now.
    Wow I totally disagree with that claim. The last season was weak. But 7-8 years is beyond stretching it.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

+ Reply to Thread