+ Reply to Thread
Page 143 of 155
FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 141 142 143 144 145 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1549

Thread: Official WTFDetroit Movie Review Thread

Blog Entries
    The Martian was fantastic, IMO. And I'm a movie cynic. Damon was really good, and it was visually stunning, of course. It does require a bit of suspended reality, but what movie doesn't?

Only downside was Jeff Daniels and Kristin Wiig. I like Daniels but his parts were the only ones that had me thinking "okay, this is bad".

I rolled my eyes a bit at the obvious effort they made to be all-inclusive, diversity-wise, but I guess the effort is at least commendable, even if distracting.

One of the best films that I've seen in recent memory, pretty powerful.
    Find a new slant.

The book is apparently ridiculously inclusive. Every characters is a different ethnic stereotype.

Surprised you found it really powerful. You might not want to read them but these are just some of the moments I didn't think landed or things I thought took away from a movie that, in general, I enjoyed.

I couldn't find the spoiler tags so I just white texted it. I rolled my eyes at the letter to his parents where he says he's dying for something bigger but never actually says what that bigger thing is (great we all get to decide what we think he's dying for!) He just didn't feel all that isolated to me. Wiig's character is pretty useless in the entire movie. How do you make a movie like this and not make the moment they realize he's alive a bigger deal. That was a real let down. The "shit we actually have a problem now" moment is far better after the "OMG he's not dead moment." Not even the rest of the crew finding out he was alive was a good moment. The Golden Eye bad guy tells them is a terribly awkward way and then defuses any blow back in the actual moment with "I wanted to tell you guys but they wouldn't let me." The Donald Glover thing is set up entirely by shots of him (who we otherwise have no connection to at all) waiting next to computers and servers like he's doing these big complex calculations but then as soon as he's in the meeting where he's telling everyone about his plan, everybody is like "yeah, those are correct calculations" because apparently computers are slower than humans at math. Then what he ends up proposing seems so ordinary. Hey, let's slingshot around the Earth. Really? No one else considers that option? I mean, we already do that with satellites all the time. Then the crew decision is supposed to be so emotional and fraught when we've seen them for all of 5 minutes of screen time (so no real connection to them) and they make the obvious choice that is so obvious even the writer has to admit it by including a character that demonstrates it from the beginning. Yeah, no one's choice was tougher than the Latino dude's. Not even the guy with a family that you showed after the decision. Everyone says yes immediately, even some dude who hates Matt Damon says yes immediately. The astronaut who gets kissed (whatever his job was other than getting booted from doing the cool chair rescue thing) does an untethered space walk that no one watches, because apparently it's pretty run of the mill or something, only to end up outside of a door that the chick from House of Cards just walks up to from the inside and opens? Why didn't the space walk guy just walk through the ship to that door? His buddy who left him just before he did the walk is the one who made the bomb with the House of Cards chick, so obviously he had plenty of time to make it.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    LOL, those are all fair points, but I guess I chalk that stuff up to as part of suspending reality
    Find a new slant.

With all of its acclaim and zeitgeist-tapping luck, The Martian also looks to have some long legs. And another factor must be considered: Do we have a Best Picture nominee here? After all, Gravity opened big with similarly great reviews and it earned a Best Picture nod and seven actual Oscars. And consider the two faces of the film: Despite being fixtures in the starry firmament, Damon has not won an acting Oscar2 and Scott has never won Best Director despite three nominations. The Academy loves a winner and would love an excuse to throw a mainstream studio film with a legitimate chance of winning in the mix, as opposed to another indie film that a tiny fraction of the American audience has been able to see in theaters.

My point here is not to handicap its awards potential, but to recognize that the film’s combination of good word-of-mouth and early success could kick off a virtuous Oscar circle: The Martian opened big, which makes it a serious Oscar contender, which makes everyone go see it, which makes it an even more serious Oscar contender. Whether the For Your Consideration campaigns are worth the expenditure is debatable, but with a mainstream, widely applauded hit like The Martian, all of that extra hype and buzz does generally translate to more money. And for once, it seems as if Hollywood’s broken system actually works.
    https://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...ng-matt-damon/
    STEW BEEF!

We are going to get Mxy to this movie eventually.

If they suddenly discovered potato mines on Mars, that would change our story substantially.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/94...dard-interview
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Watched some movie where Sean Penn plays a washed up rock star who goes to look for a Nazi. It pretty much sucked.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    It Happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    We are going to get Mxy to this movie eventually.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/94...dard-interview

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I enjoyed both the book (which I read awhile back) and the movie. The book is far better than the movie at addressing most of Fool's points. Based on the book, I was expecting more of a Tom Hanks "Cast Away" vibe than what I got. Both the book and the movie seemed to ignore background radiation, but that only occurred to me as I watched the movie. I hope that's not too spoiler-y.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mxy, i didn't even know Tom Cruise was in this one, now I'm looking forward to it!

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

+ Reply to Thread