+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 155
1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Official WTFDetroit Movie Review Thread

Official WTFDetroit Movie Review Thread

I don't know about you guys, but there are some movies that I will see when they come out regardless, and then other movies that I need to see the review for. Unfortunately, most of the film critics are too concerned with trying to make themselves sound more intelligent than the next film critic. So the best way to go about finding how good a movie actually was is by asking actual moviegoers.

So we already have the "Movies you're looking forward to in 2006" thread, so why don't we use this as a review thread for movies you see over the weekend? You can write a quick review, recommend it, say thumbs up or thumbs down, request a review, or just talk about how shitty this thread is.

Anyways, have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Opening this week:

Cars

The Omen (Opened Tuesday)

MoTown is right.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    X-Men 3:

i give it 3 stars out of 5. If you arent that aware of the comics you'll enjoy it quite a bit. If you are, you may get a little irked on where they took some of the characters.

V For Vendetta:

4 out of 5 stars. Once again not as good as the graphic novel. But the graphic novel was ridiculously too good and poetic. So I didnt expect it to be that good. But it was off the hook in its own right. good story, decent action, and it touched on some really good issues that effect todays society.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I agree with you on X-Men 3. I think it was entertaining, but they went through it too fast. They didn't touch enough on what Mutants did what, or get into their character at all. They never even felt the need to explain that Juggernaut was Xavior's half brother...

I give it a B-, mostly for the entertainment factor.

MoTown is right.

The OFFICIAL WTF Summer Movie Guide

Two so far -- Xmen and Cars.

I thought Xmen 3 might blow, considering I'm not a terribly huge fan of narcissist Ratner. It didn't exactly "suck", or "blow"... but it didn't do much else, either.

As the closing credits began to roll, my friend leaned over to me and whispered "Y'know, they could've removed the ENTIRE Jean Grey storyline, and it'd still be the same film". Of course, they needed her to go psycho Phoenix on us to set-up the apparent fourth installment of the trilogy I leaned right back and whispered, "If the guards had the serum in their guns all along, then why lock up mutants like Juggernaut? Simply shoot him!"

Of course, then there's the mystery day-into-night scene where it seems to take Magneto five hours to move a bridge half way across the bay. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it yet, but you'll know it when it happens. This is most likely Ratner saying "Well, the bridge sequence needs daylight to show off the million dollar FX, but pyrotechnics work BEST when it's dark.

And Storm acts her stupid self once again. Halle Fucking Berry. Yep.

I've always been a massive fan of Pixar, but I really thought if there was a misfire in their future, "Cars" might be it. The previews last year didn't thrill me, and the story seemed too simple and predictible for it's own good.

Pixar STILL hasn't misfired. This is a pretty damn good film. And fuck if Pixar doesn't keep one-upping itself in the tech department. The storyline is basic Tom Cruise, but the characters are easy to like, and therefore easy to empathize and sympathize with when the time comes. The racing sequences are fucking amazing, and the whole deal is rather imaginative. Pixar has a way in developing likable characters that Disney hasn't achieved since, IMO, Beauty and the Beast. The only problem? I laughed my ass off when Michael Schumacher makes an appearance at the end -- as a Ferrari F430, flanked by two Maserati Quattroportes. My date didn't get the joke. Well, she's a girl, so I suppose it's not her job to know who the great Ferrari Champion is. Fair is fair -- I still can't tell the difference between velvet and velour.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Someone merge denny's thread in here.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I went and saw The Omen over the weekend. Here's my take on it:

For all of you interested in a good Horror flick, this is not the film to satisfy you. The main scare tactics that were used in the movie were simple loud noises during quiet scenes. In my opinion, that is the laziest, most inept way to do horror. "If you can't spook the audience, make it real quiet for about 5 minutes, and then make the audience jump."

I never saw the original one, but I've heard this one follows it's predecessor very closely. I'm sure, however, that it couldn't have been as bad as this one. Worst of all, even without seeing the original, I knew exactly where the movie was going, and the ending was not surprising at all, though it was meant to be. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Seriously were we supposed to be surprised that he didn't kill the kid at the end because it was too hard to kill a child??? The director was too pussy to kill the child, so the ending left a lot to be desired. ***END SPOILER***

All in all, I give the movie a solid D.

MoTown is right.

A side note on "Cars" -- stick around for the credits. Looks like Pixar had some extra money to play with.

John Ratzenberger (Mack) has the best fucking line in the film... in the end credits.

I took the wife to see "The Breakup" yesterday. A romantic comedy that did a poor job intigrating the two. There were IMO too many long sappy periods which did little to develop the plot or entertain the guys. Vince Vaughn was funny at times, tame at others. Aniston was bottled in and made to seem more sympathetic than agressive. A couple of the supporting characters really seemed deeper than these two half way into the flick.

There was a repeated theme throughout the flick on how wrong the guy was repeatedly, but how women need to simply accept them for what they are. Vaughn eventually breaks down and gives in at the end,*spoiler* still to be dismissed. What was the making of a fun movie gets bogged down here and the last 20 minutes are spent checking your watch while doing the math in your head on how long until you can escape.

In all not worth the money, maybe a cuddler on the couch on DVD. You guys will laugh a few times but leave feeling forgotten. If not for the names on the cover you'd feel cheated.

1 1/2 out of 4 stars.

^post 420 wasted on a "Romantic Comedy". I will celebrate elsewhere.
    Last edited by MoTown; 06-13-2006 at 04:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread