1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: McCosky: Stern's edict has changed the game/Time for an evolution

McCosky: Stern's edict has changed the game/Time for an evolution

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...36/1004/SPORTS

Stern's edict haunts Pistons

Advertisement
    GET FREE HEADLINES BY E-MAIL

Related Articles

AUBURN HILLS -- Before you realize why Joe Dumars did the right thing in hiring Flip Saunders last summer and installing a more offense-driven approach to the team, understand this isn't about conspiracy theories or plots to undermine Pistons basketball as you've come to know it.

The plain truth is NBA commissioner David Stern wanted the game changed after the Pistons won the title in 2004.

He tweaked the rule book to facilitate more offensive flow. He stopped all the bumping and grabbing on and off the ball. He opened the floor up for quick and powerful players such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and countless others who will carry the league's marketing banner into the future.

He did it because he felt the game had grown stagnant, and that oppressive defenses such as the Pistons' choked the life out of it. He hated the isolation plays that were bringing action to a standstill. More importantly, he noticed fans -- who filled the arenas and watched on television -- were starting to hate it, too.

Scoring sells, and Stern set out to loosen the shackles on offense. In so doing, he essentially legislated against lockdown, physical defensive teams such as the Pistons and Spurs.

To this day, he does not apologize for it, nor will he undo the changes.

"I think it is fair to say that we went through a period where it became fashionable to get a piece of a player (on his way through the lane), and if you didn't stop him, you at least slowed him up," Stern said in Miami before Game 4 on Sunday.

"We made a decision to say we wanted to try it the other way. I think our fans and our players are responding beautifully to that. It's giving people a chance to see how talented our players really are. We are pretty excited about that."

The Spurs, last year's champion, have been eliminated from the playoffs by the Mavericks' high-octane offense. The Pistons, unable to thwart a relentless Wade, might join the Spurs.

The Pistons' loss in Game 4 was a perfect illustration of how the new NBA is going to be played.

Once Wade or Shaquille O'Neal got their momentum turned toward the basket, there wasn't much the Pistons could do to repel them.

"If we breathe on him it's a foul, if we lay off, he scores," Pistons forward Antonio McDyess said.

Five Pistons were in foul trouble in Game 4, paying the price for playing old-school defense.

Wade, meanwhile, was shooting an incredible 69.5 percent in the series.

"Rule changes were basically made to create more offense, and sometimes when you're not allowed to touch people, either in the post much or in the perimeter, what it does is it gives more opportunities for your star-type players," Saunders said.

"I don't think anyone envisioned San Antonio would get into a series and give up over 100 points as they did against Sacramento and against Dallas.

"The way the rules are stated, where you can't touch people, sometimes it becomes difficult to contain guys who can put it on the floor and create."

That's exactly what Stern wants, and apparently the fans agree because television ratings are on the rise.

And that puts the Pistons in an adapt-or-die situation.

Dumars already saw this shift coming. That's one of the reasons he hired Saunders. And it's the main reason Dumars won't fire him.

As much as it runs counter to his own philosophy, Dumars knows if the Pistons are to continue among the elite they have to alter their identity.

Does that mean trying to reinvent themselves as an Eastern Conference version of the Suns?

Obviously not.

Does it mean the Pistons stop playing defense?

Of course not.

Actually, the Pistons, for most of the season, had the right balance, the right approach. They were an open, flowing offensive team that had enough length and size to lock teams down when it mattered most.

Things have changed recently.

The offense has ground to a halt, and the Pistons' two main basket protectors are playing at diminished capacity -- Rasheed Wallace with a bad ankle and Ben Wallace with what appear to be dead legs.

A bad stretch, even though it has come at the worst possible time, isn't cause to blow up the team and start over. But Dumars knows some alterations must be made.

And, as unthinkable as it might have been a month ago, one of those alterations might involve Ben Wallace. In this new NBA, his defensive prowess is weakened and his offensive limitations are more exposed.

Not signing him would be drastic, dangerous and immensely unpopular, but it might be necessary.

But clearly, the old way isn't going to work. This series, as well as the Cleveland series, proved that.

Teams can no longer get away with playing four-on-five at the offensive end. Don't be surprised if the Pistons try to work a sign-and-trade deal with Wallace this summer to obtain a younger, more offensive-minded forward -- someone such as Toronto's Charlie Villanueva.

The game has changed.

The Pistons must change with it.

Adapt or die.

Once the playoffs are over for us aka Friday, I will share what I have heard in regards of Ben's future. I will say this it is rather transparent as to whether or not Ben will be back especially if McCosky is basically suggesting a sign and trade. McCosky is a company man he does not venture out onto limbs on his own.
    Last edited by JS; 06-01-2006 at 05:32 AM.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar

Time For An Evolution

(article edited out)
    When I read between the lines, I see that the Pistons NEED a swingman who is a slasher. That's where we don't stack up to the opponent. They install these new rules that allow slashers to drive to the hole under the witness protection program, and we have no one to do that. As a result, less scoring chances, less free throws, and less opponents in foul trouble.

As I stated in another thread (or two) trade Sheed to NY for a swingman and a young big.

No offense TayMelo...just didn't see the need to quote the whole article - WTFchris
    Last edited by WTFchris; 06-01-2006 at 10:07 AM.

wow, very interesting article. thanks for posting it, TayMelo.

And, as unthinkable as it might have been a month ago, one of those alterations might involve Ben Wallace. In this new NBA, his defensive prowess is weakened and his offensive limitations are more exposed.

Not signing him would be drastic, dangerous and immensely unpopular, but it might be necessary.

<snip>

Teams can no longer get away with playing four-on-five at the offensive end. Don't be surprised if the Pistons try to work a sign-and-trade deal with Wallace this summer to obtain a younger, more offensive-minded forward -- someone such as Toronto's Charlie Villanueva.
    after all the certainty about Ben being a Piston for life.....this little nugget by McCosky is interesting....

I gotta agree, it's no longer a sure thing that Wallace must be re signed. Not that I want him gone. I'd much rather have the NBA allow some small degree of body contact. I think it's stupid to call a foul on a defender because the man with the ball jumps on him and their legs touch.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...606010462/1051

"The game should be tinkered with the least amount possible," Stern told Bloomberg News.

Gotta love Stern... not!

Blog Entries
    I merged these two threads that were based on the same article.
    Find a new slant.

Alright, someone please tell me why this isn't the league punishing the Pistons for playing (and winning with) defensive basketball. Tell me how I was wrong when I thought it seemed the Pistons weren't getting a fair shake by the refs/league.

Stern and his fucking ratings. Money-hungry bitch. What's wrong with letting the fucking game evolve naturally and making fans evolve with it? While we're at it, why don't we not play defense at all? We can call it Arena Basketball! Yeah! Oooooh!! How about a dunk contest between two teams for 48 minutes? Brilliant! Neither team crosses half court, takes turns dunking, and the FANS vote on the winner! Gee, that'd be AWESOME!!!! How else can we pussify the game??? Let's think people! We need ratings!!!

Once again, fuck a Stern.

Blog Entries
    If they played 3 on 3, I think scoring would increase too, but since they'd sell fewer jerseys, I don't think we'll be seeing that change.

I wonder why they didn't makes these changes when the Knicks were winning games with scores in the 70's-80's? Wait, nevermind.
    Find a new slant.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    the NBA is worried about their so called ratings, and they would love to see us break up the starters and get a poster boy star in detroit. of course defying them and winning is the greatest thing on earth for me. personally, at this rate i may be done with the nba if they force us out with more and more rule changes every year. if we conform, i dont really see us standing a chance unless we go back to the grant hill era ways of pistons basketball and pick up slashing scorer like wade and lebron.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

+ Reply to Thread