+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Game 4 OGT: Life or Death 5/29 8pm ET on ABC Bitch!

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    hunt down and break the kneecaps of every official from tonight's fix/game?
    Of course it's the Ref's fault!

The Pistons can't even sustain a modest effort for more than 2 consecutive qtrs. This is going on 9 games in a row now. The ref's excuse is mighty lame.

Hunt down Rasheed and break his knees please.
    Typical conservative.

Can't see shades of grey.

The officials basically handed the game to Miami, but Detroit (i.e. Rasheed) didn't really want it, anyway.

Middle ground, people.

Good luck to Miami in the next round. If they get this kind of help from the officials, they'll nab their first championship, while Joe D. hopefully tries to turn the signing of Rasheed Wallace to a long term deal into something.

I wonder what we could get from the Knicks for Sheed. They'd love to add him.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade
    Quote Originally Posted by metr0man
    so NOW will people FINALLY believe that being an all jumpshooting team with no post scoring presence and last in points in the paint is a BAD THING!? These guys are playing like they don't even know how to do basic inside-out basketball, its either jumper, or go iso into the paint. As I recall there were a few people here complaining about this during the regular season, and basically had the regular season record shoved in their face.
    The problem isn't how many jumpshots we take (in fact, all 3 of the top jumpshooting teams are still playing), it's how bad our inside game really is. We have one player who can really do it and he'd rather sit 5-feet behind the 3 point line. That and he has only had 2 or 3 good games the whole playoffs.
    its all related though.

Why is our inside game so bad?

Because we're a jump shooting team that hasn't played an inside game all year. Now that they're kind of trying to play inside they look LOST. Sheed is just part of that, his game is a "jump shooting game", like you said he'd rather go jack up 3s than play the post.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    Why were we so blind, is my question?

We all know playoff basketball is different than regular season basketball.

We all know that the team with the best regular season record doesn't necessarily win anything in the playoffs.

We all know that regular season teams are finesse jumpshooting teams, while playoff teams have an inside presence - - - yet we all sat back and watched Flip throw Brown's inside/out playoff basketball gameplan out the window in favor of an outside ONLY, jumpshooting regular season pretender of a team.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

This is NOT one players fault, like Sheed or Ben. And I don't think it could just be the coach either.

We've lost our way, we've lost our desire or other teams have simply caught up to us. It didn't feel very good when the Bull finally beat us in 91(?). It's starting to feel earily the same.

THe fact we have a player that we know we cant afford to give the ball to is really hurting us.

If any other team in the league started a guy who shot %10 from the line, they'd look awful too. It's too easy NOT to exploit it.

A %50 like shaq or duncan is one thing, but when you know you have almost no chance of getting any points at all, it weighs your offense down like an anchor.

I dont blame the losses or the defensive issues on Ben.

I do, however, blame the downfall of our offense on Ben Wallace. Teams are using their centers as free safetys to jump all of RIp's rurl and SHeed's post ups in the lane, and we're taking every shot in the paint over a double team.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-30-2006 at 01:43 PM.

Taymelo, I didn't see the problem of excessive perimeter shooting, because I thought, wrongly it turns out, that when we needed an easy bucket in the playoffs, a guy like Rasheed Wallace would be willing and able to deliver one. But it turns out he's not.

Kstat, you confuse me. Youv'e illuminated the problems about Ben Wallace's offense and the implications of no-defense rule changes on the Pistons, but I sense at the same time that you're as determined as anyone here to pay Ben Max money. Why? (If I've got it wrong, my apologies.) Under the new NBA no-defense rules, doesn't this just condemn us to sub-championship status?

Regarding someone's Suns analogy: Even though we shoot a ton of jumpshots, we're nothing like the Suns:The Suns players shoot wide open jumpshots (maybe b/c they have S.Nash, who breaks down the defense, creating space); our guys shoot contested jumpshots. Big difference.

I'm not from Detroit. I've always rooted for the Pistons because they've symbolized hard work, grit, and substance over style--values that define, or I'd like to think define, my Midwestern upbringing. Now I'm not so sure. People change. Maybe teams do too.

I said Ben should get whatever he wants, so long as we're stilla championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade
    so NOW will people FINALLY believe that being an all jumpshooting team with no post scoring presence and last in points in the paint is a BAD THING!? These guys are playing like they don't even know how to do basic inside-out basketball, its either jumper, or go iso into the paint. As I recall there were a few people here complaining about this during the regular season, and basically had the regular season record shoved in their face.
    The problem isn't how many jumpshots we take (in fact, all 3 of the top jumpshooting teams are still playing), it's how bad our inside game really is. We have one player who can really do it and he'd rather sit 5-feet behind the 3 point line. That and he has only had 2 or 3 good games the whole playoffs.
    its all related though.

Why is our inside game so bad?

Because we're a jump shooting team that hasn't played an inside game all year. Now that they're kind of trying to play inside they look LOST. Sheed is just part of that, his game is a "jump shooting game", like you said he'd rather go jack up 3s than play the post.
    No, it's not. Phoenix and Dallas took as many jumpers as us and they're just fine in the middle. It's a personnel and coaching problem.

The Suns shoot wide open jumpers. We shoot contested jumpers. Analogy breaks down.

Can anybody tell me if this was the same prob the TWolves had in the playoffs under Flipper?

+ Reply to Thread