+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Game 3: Pistons @ Heat (Sat 5/27, 8p ET, ESPN, Chat)

Yeah, that hack a shaq was nothing but a bitchmade move by Flip. I really dont like this guy as our head coach.

Wow, the guys really did not like hack a shaq

Pistons notebook: Team doesn't like Hack-a-Shaq strategy
    Rasheed Wallace doesn't seem to be happy
    Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Clarence Tabb Jr./The Detroit News

MIAMI -- There was more grumbling in the Pistons locker room than usual following the Game 3 loss Saturday.
    The Pistons clearly didn’t like coach Flip Saunders' strategy to foul Shaquille O’Neal intentionally late in the game. With 4:28 left and the Pistons down by eight, Saunders ordered Ben Wallace to foul O’Neal.
    Rasheed Wallace was visibly upset, yelling, “Why?”
    O’Neal missed the two free throws, but neither Wallace nor Prince could grab the rebound. O’Neal got it, was fouled and made both free throws.
    Heat coach Pat Riley returned the favor, fouling Ben Wallace twice. Wallace made one of four free throws.
    “To be real honest with you, I wish they would do away with it,” Riley said of the intentional fouling. “But it’s part of the game. Flip is going to use it and I am going to use it.”
    To contrast the Pistons' mood to the Heat, O’Neal was benched for the final 4:25 of the game to avoid the Hack-a-Shaq, and he didn’t utter a peep.
    “Both coaches were playing numbers, playing percentages,” he said. “That was fine with me as long as we win and as long as it was done right. I don’t run away from that.”
    Rasheed Wallace, on the other hand, seemed frustrated the entire game. He was certainly unhappy about having to come out of the game when he picked up his second foul in the first quarter. He told Saunders that he knows how to play with two fouls.
    He was also upset that the offense went away from him after he has scored 11 points in the first 15 minutes of the second half.
    “We have to get Rasheed the ball,” Antonio McDyess said. “Whether we are calling plays for him or not, we should recognize it. He missed one shot and came to the bench frustrated. But that wasn’t any reason to go away from him. When he’s going, our offense flows a lot better.”
    Rip vs. Wade
    Dwyane Wade spoke out after Game 2, complaining about one of Richard Hamilton’s defensive tactics. Hamilton gets up into Wade full court, often jostling him before he even reaches half court.
    Before Game 3, Heat coach Pat Riley defended Wade.
    “What (Wade) said is fact,” Riley said. “When he runs up the court, Rip just puts his body in front of him. It’s one of those annoying things.”
    Riley didn’t exactly condone the practice.
    “(Hamilton) is a competitive guy and he’s got a lot of class,” Riley said. “I don’t know why he does that. It’s OK at the half court to put a body on somebody, but when the guy is running down the court and you just step in front of him, and then you step in front of him again -- Dwyane will handle it.”
    Hamilton just shrugged off the complaints, saying he was just trying to play aggressive defense.
    No worries on Billups
    Saunders was asked before the game if he had to pick, would he prefer Billups be a distributor or a scorer?
    “I don’t have to pick one,” Saunders said, laughing. “I can tell him when I want him to do what. He just has to be aggressive.
    “I believe this - I believe that when Chauncey is scoring and he’s aggressive offensively, he’s a better distributor. If he gets into pre-determining -- I am going to score now, I am going to distribute now -- he doesn’t have as much flow offensively. He just has to be aggressive.”
    Saunders also waved off the notion of Billups losing confidence.
    “No, I mean, at halftime (of Game 2) I told Chauncey, ‘don’t quit shooting,’ and the whole locker room laughed,” Saunders said. “He’s not going to quit shooting.”
    Billups’ 31 points backed that up.
    Taking Ben to the max
    Ben Wallace will be a free agent this summer and there has been a lot of speculation that a couple of teams (Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte and Toronto) might be in a position to offer him a maximum contract. If so, they would have to pony up more than $100 million over six years.
    The Pistons, were they to give Wallace a full maximum, could pay him as much as $132.5 million over six years. That would represent a starting salary of about $17.5 million (based on 35 percent of the league’s current salary cap of $50 million).
    The most any other team could pay him over six years (assuming the salary cap stays the same) would be roughly $126 million.
    It needs to be stressed, though, that Wallace will turn 32 in September and it is highly unlikely that a team would sign him to a six-year deal.
    In all probability, Wallace’s agent, Arn Tellem, will be negotiating for a four-year deal.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    I haven't read the rest of this thread... but my thoughts:

1. Hack a Shaq by Flip was a good move. What? Riley's a genius for doing it, but Flip's a classless fool of a loser? OK?!!?! Would people be singing a different tune if we'd have grabbed a rebound? In fact, how many were upset with hack a shaq before they read in the paper that the players didn't like it?

2. Flip's REAL mistake was knowing for TWO DAYS that Miami was going to focus on Tayshaun, and doing absolutely NO "coaching" to adjust to it.

3. I'm really starting to get sick of Rasheed Wallace's mental condition. The guy is such a headcase. He only shows up 25% of the time, but thinks he has a right to yell at the coach for making sound coaching decisions like taking him out with 2 fouls early and 5 fouls late, and people think he's a "great teammate"? What kind of "great teammate" mopes around leaves his teammates out there to do his job for him SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT of the time, yells at the coach for pulling him, and only actually shows up and tries to help his teammates when he's angry at his coach? Oh, I get it "he needs motivation." Being in game 3 of the ECF in Miami and playing against Shaq just wasn't enough. He had to disrespect his coach in order to get "fired up"? What kind of "great teammate" has the skills to take pressure off his teammates by staying in the post and averaging 20/10, but just doesn't care enough about them to contribute and make their jobs easier?

EDIT: One more thing: I'm changing my sig. Its bad enough we don't get anything in the post on offense, but it is inexcusable that there is absolutely, positively, ZERO effort to guard the lane, prevent any layups, to "make Wade (or anyone else) cry" (or even to guard them), to put anyone on the floor, make them pay for driving, or even to PRETEND to block ANY Heat player's path to the basket. The Pistons should change their name to "soft as ice cream, with holes like swiss".

The Pistons new ad campaign for defense:

People from all around the country come for the clear path through the lane - - - but end up staying for the easy dunks and layups. And great news - now with less effort!!!!

The Pistons new ad campaign for offense:

Tired of those pesky dunks, layups, hooks and fadeaways? Wish you could stop worrying about the bumps and bruises associated with bodying for position in the post? Then you'll FLIP for Coach Flip's Jumpshooting Juggernauts!
    Last edited by Taymelo; 05-28-2006 at 10:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    I haven't read the rest of this thread... but my thoughts:

1. Hack a Shaq by Flip was a good move. What? Riley's a genius for doing it, but Flip's a classless fool of a loser? OK?!!?! Would people be singing a different tune if we'd have grabbed a rebound? In fact, how many were upset with hack a shaq before they read in the paper that the players didn't like it?
    Wait what complete bafoon said Riley was smart for the hack a ben? sorry but that angle aint flying with me. its dumb. And i'd rather lose str8 up than look silly watching intentional fouls go back and forth. Many people here look down and pity teams that actually "need" those tactics. We arent one of those teams. theres nothing smart about doing something you don't have to do. its almost like conceding to the other team in retarded acts of desperate that fall out of our characteristics. All we did was give the heat something to laugh at(and they laughed hard, really fucking hard) and some extra confidence. Riley is a classless douche and so is Flip. Now who here told you otherwise?
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Listen, we beat Shaq two years in a row, and never have we once Hacked a shaq. Thats a bitch made move. I wish the NBA would outlaw that shit. Its a discrase to the game. I've always hated that. I was hoping for shaq to make those free throws.

Hack a shaq tells me that Flip dosnt think his team can win. Fuck him and that grab ass style of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutz Gatsu"
    All we did was give the heat something to laugh at(and they laughed hard, really fucking hard) and some extra confidence.
    Then they're hypocrites. Were they hacking Ben WHILE they laughed, or after?

Riley is smart. It aint about class. It aint about proving something. It aint about being tough. Its about winning. He said it best - he hates doing it but won't hesitate if he thinks it will help his team. Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather Rasheed show up to play, stop stealing paychecks and cheating his teammates (although I concede he's injured), put the Pistons up early, and they wouldn't have to hack shaq. I'd also much rather Flip did some coaching in the off-days, and prepared for Miami to swarm Tay. But since they didn't, if it comes down to even just a CHANCE it will help them win, then you're a bad coach if you don't do it and put your team in the best position you can.
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Listen, we beat Shaq two years in a row, and never have we once Hacked a shaq. Thats a bitch made move. I wish the NBA would outlaw that shit. Its a discrase to the game. I've always hated that. I was hoping for shaq to make those free throws.

Hack a shaq tells me that Flip dosnt think his team can win. Fuck him and that grab ass style of basketball.
    Honestly, I have no interest in debating hack a shaq all day.

Its like Fox News talking about Natallee Holloway instead of the Iraq War.
    Its not why we lost.

If anyone wants to debate whether Rasheed is worth it or should be traded, whether Flip failed to make adjustments in between games, whether the right or wrong bench players were used, whether there's anything that can be done to make the Pistons guard the Heat when they drive the lane instead of literally parting like the red sea and giving an all access pass for a dunk or layup, I'm game.

Those would be interesting topics for debate.

Hack a shaq is a ruse put forth by republicans like Gecko (j/k) to take the focus off the Pistons allowing 60 or so points in the paint and scoring only like 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutz Gatsu"
    All we did was give the heat something to laugh at(and they laughed hard, really fucking hard) and some extra confidence.
    Then they're hypocrites. Were they hacking Ben WHILE they laughed, or after?

Riley is smart. It aint about class. It aint about proving something. It aint about being tough. Its about winning. He said it best - he hates doing it but won't hesitate if he thinks it will help his team. Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather Rasheed show up to play, stop stealing paychecks and cheating his teammates (although I concede he's injured), put the Pistons up early, and they wouldn't have to hack shaq. I'd also much rather Flip did some coaching in the off-days, and prepared for Miami to swarm Tay. But since they didn't, if it comes down to even just a CHANCE it will help them win, then you're a bad coach if you don't do it and put your team in the best position you can.
    Riley is smart? whatever. maybe for his team he is. but for ours its dumb as nails. you dont waste time with hack a shaq. no matter what the other team does. A real coach woulda had his assistants work with ben on getting to atleast 40-50 percent shooting and played str8 up. our assistants are making free money. Us worrying about doing hack a shaqs is just like us worrying about the refs. If we play like we're supposed to, both arent even relevent. And if we're losing its a waste of time to cling on either of them. Its a shitty weak pussy move for this team. Maybe its terrific for the heat though.
    ^

Its like Fox News talking about Natallee Holloway instead of the Iraq War.
    Its not why we lost.
    you're right it isnt. Of course that doesnt make it ok. Doesnt make it respectable. And it surely doesnt make it a smart move. no one wanted to argue with you about it honestly. but acting like we give Riley credit for pulling that card was way off base. And the whole team outside of Flip was against it. If your team is willing to go at it str8 up. then why rob them of their pride in that. And yes miami will be laughing it up good. Miami never claimed to be good enough defensively to play str8 up. we did.
    ^

BTW: Despite my bitterness (see my av and sig), I expected the Pistons to lose last night, and win on Monday. Miami was returning home for their crowd's first game of the 2006 ECF. They had all the momentum, the crowd behind them, and the homecourt calls. I expect that to lessen a bit in game 4, and the Pistons to pull out a close victory.

Its just the way they're losing that kills me. If they show effort in the post and simply lose, that's one thing. But to lose the game by not playing defense on one end and jacking up garbage on the other end is inexcusable. I thought the refs would have more to do with us losing game 3 than they did. It wasn't the refs or the crowd or the Heat, it was the Pistons (sorry, DwYAne).

+ Reply to Thread