+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grand Haven = Surfing Mecca? WTF!

Grand Haven = Surfing Mecca? WTF!

My buddy Larry, who grew up in Michigan, and I were discussing ultimates in mountain climbing and surfing, and he tosses in "I surfed Lake Michigan". At first I thought it was a joke, then I played it off thinking Lake Michigan pops some lame body surfing swells, but nothing to post. But Larry said, "Nope. I've ridden some pretty decent sets out there. You'd be surprised!"

Has anybody on this board ever surfed Lake Michigan? Larry mentioned Grand Haven as a hot spot for Northern boarders. I CAN Google it, but I'd rather hear from some natives of the state.

Denny, its my home town, and I worked on that very beach for 4 years at the state park. There is NO surfing besides some very stormy days with some very darring riders. Lots of body boarding and some decent caps on the right days, but no way anyone surfs there regularly.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Ecoli. that is all. i bet your friend hasn't even been to jail. damn canadian.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I knew he was full of shit. The sets on a lake like that must be shit.

Thanks Hermy.

And Gutz...the countdown is "on".

Surfing? wow. Doesn't sound right.

Ok mythbusters...last time I was back couple peeps told me the scuba diving is good in Michigan? There are sunken ships in various spots and peeps like to dive around them. Cold water helps visibility, no fucking sharks so you are not in the food chain. I want to spend some money on a damn good suit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe

Ok mythbusters...last time I was back couple peeps told me the scuba diving is good in Michigan? There are sunken ships in various spots and peeps like to dive around them. Cold water helps visibility, no fucking sharks so you are not in the food chain. I want to spend some money on a damn good suit though.
    I've heard that, too, though you'd never see me trying to squeeze my fat ass into a wetsuit. Lotsa sunken ships to explore, especially in Lakes Superior and Michigan.

You do know the song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was actually a real wreck of a real ship in Lake Superior, right?

Shiiiiitt yes, we used to sing that song drunker than a skunk in high school. Kind of forgot about that. I haven't heard that song in a long long time but that is quite a ballad...and quite a story too.

I'm seriously considering doing some scuba in Mich if true. thx for the confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by TK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe

I've heard that, too, though you'd never see me trying to squeeze my fat ass into a wetsuit. Lotsa sunken ships to explore, especially in Lakes Superior and Michigan.

You do know the song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was actually a real wreck of a real ship in Lake Superior, right?
    Chuck Nevitt hates water, FYI.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DennyMcLain
    Chuck Nevitt hates water, FYI.
    When Chuck Nevitt jumps into a body of water, he doesn't get wet. The water gets Chuck.

+ Reply to Thread