+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Game 2: Pistons v. Heat (Thu 5/25, 8p ET, ESPN, Chat)

Just got home some thoughts.

Crowd was really into the game. First game this playoff season that it actually felt like a playoff.

Ben was a beast.

What got into Flip and his rotation? it's like he was driving around listening to sports radio for the past 2 days and said "yeah Jimmy from Canton's right, I need to get them involved". Kudos to Flip I guess.

Nice strategy letting Ben handle the ball at the top of the key taking Shaq away from the rim

Rip did one hell of a job on Wade the entire game.

I have a hard time deciding if I should give the Pistons an A or a C for the game. They played like the Pistons of old but whaz up with the 4th qtr?

Too many mental breakdowns still by the team and especially Chauncey. They need to tighten that shit up a little more. That was a loss in Miami and it's unbelievable I can even say that since it should if been a 15 pt coaster in the 4th.

Great effort, we got the win but lets tighten it up.

Have a good weekend.

Dude, I wish Walton was calling the games. Fuck Hubbie

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko

Crowd was really into the game. First game this playoff season that it actually felt like a playoff.

Ben was a beast.

What got into Flip and his rotation? it's like he was driving around listening to sports radio for the past 2 days and said "yeah Jimmy from Canton's right, I need to get them involved". Kudos to Flip I guess.

Nice strategy letting Ben handle the ball at the top of the key taking Shaq away from the rim

I have a hard time deciding if I should give the Pistons an A or a C for the game. They played like the Pistons of old but whaz up with the 4th qtr?

Too many mental breakdowns still by the team and especially Chauncey. They need to tighten that shit up a little more. That was a loss in Miami and it's unbelievable I can even say that since it should if been a 15 pt coaster in the 4th.

Have a good weekend.
    They put it on CC in the 4th, and the refs had more to do with the heat getting back in than the pistons did. The heat looked dead.

once upon a time i was falling in love, now i'm fucking falling apart
    Well I was right about Delfino in my predictions. He got some burn, but again no love from the refs . Good to see him and Davis shake some rust off, but our offense was just terrible with them in.

Fuck a Wade, and fuck Dick Bavetta. Deaf ass motherfucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Dude, I wish Walton was calling the games. Fuck Hubbie
    God save us from Walton. Just a few minutes ago on ESPNEWS:

Bill, better team, Pistons or Heat?
    -Pistons.
    So Pistons will win?
    -That depends on Shaquille O'Neal
    (everyone on the set laughs)

Bottom line though:

A win's a win and we pulled that shit out.

-ojay!

Ben was a beast.

Have a good weekend.
    They put it on CC in the 4th, and the refs had more to do with the heat getting back in than the pistons did. The heat looked dead.
    Maybe but I saw balls being dribbled off feet, a few offensive charges an 8 second call, trouble in bounding the ball and general mental mistakes like that. Clean that shit up and the refs won't play a part in it.

Bevetta must be blind and deaf because he looked right at Tay when he called timeout.
    Hype?

he also claimed he couldn't hear Tay's timeout. bullshit.....more than half the crowd had left at the end of the game.

Ben was a beast.

Have a good weekend.
    Maybe but I saw balls being dribbled off feet, a few offensive charges an 8 second call, trouble in bounding the ball and general mental mistakes like that. Clean that shit up and the refs won't play a part in it.
    To the heats credit, they did a great job of denying Billups the ball on the 8 second violation.

Blog Entries
    Bavetta just flat out blew that call.

When you are the ref on the baseline on an inbound, your only responsibility is to do the 5 second countdown and look for the man to call timeout, especially when you get close to a violation.

The fact that he had his head on a swivel when he had two other guys out there watching the same thing is unforgivable. He had a simple, but important task, and he flat out blew it.

I wonder if we'll see him "retire" after the playoffs?
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2006605260485

MITCH ALBOM: Whew! Ben's offense lends needed assist

BY MITCH ALBOM
    FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

May 26, 2006

The reason you want to move the ball around in basketball -- what the Pistons desperately wanted to do Thursday -- is that most of the time, it ends up in the right hands.

Even if it's not the hands you think.

Ben Wallace has been chided for his hands in the past -- too small, they say, for a guy his size -- but his hands were hot for most of Game 2. And we're not just talking blocks and rebounds, his normal specialties.

We're talking lay-ups. We're talking finger rolls. We're talking bounce passes.

Bounce passes?

That's right. Like the one he made to Rip Hamilton for an easy lay-up. Or the whip pass he made to Antonio McDyess for a slam.

Ben Wallace, point guard?

Why not? He was pretty much everything else early on Thursday, as the Pistons rode his energy to a big lead, then hung on -- at times, it seemed, by their fingertips -- to even this Eastern Conference finals series, one game apiece.

What can Wallace do for you?

Well, Ben was the center, soaring for rebounds, grabbing some, keeping the others alive.

Ben was the free safety, intercepting a Dwyane Wade alley-oop pass to prevent a score.

Ben was the sacrificial lamb -- even taking elbows to his face from Shaquille O'Neal -- but drawing offensive fouls.

Ben was the hustler chasing down a loose ball in the lane to save a possession.

And I think he was selling popcorn at halftime.

A great stats line
    "We came out right tonight, our heads were in the game," said Wallace, who finished with nine points (on perfect field-goal shooting), 12 rebounds, three assists and one block. "I would like to see us finish the game the way we started it."

Yes, it's true, the Pistons nearly blew it at the end. They fell asleep on things like crossing the halfcourt line and bringing the ball inbounds. That's unforgivable.

But they wouldn't have been in the situation had the scoring not bogged down in the fourth quarter. And if you look at the tape, you'll see why.

After the Game 1 loss, the Pistons talked about their standing around, playing one on one basketball, getting away from the joie de vivre of fast passes and easy baskets.

But after three decent quarters of avoiding that, they seemed to fall back into that habit again. At times in that fourth quarter, they looked like the French Foreign Legion dragging through the Sahara.

How do you avoid that? Well, one of the ways is to get the ball into Ben's hands. Not necessarily as the final stop. But let him touch it, make the defenders have to at least get in the same zip code as him.

"It weighs on their defense," Ben said. "We've got everybody involved. Now you've got to play honest and" not play "four against five. When I get involved in the offense, it forces the other team to keep a guy on me and not allow him to roam around. It opens up things for my teammates."

It's five for one
    So, OK, now it's a series. We can put away the sweep talk. We can put away Game 1 as a prototype. Thursday was a much different affair, with the Shaq-Wade combination doing what it does, but the rest of the Heat playing like, well, the rest of the Heat.

Now, it's not an accident that this game got close when the Pistons got away from the good ball movement of the first half. I'm not sure why this happens. Some of it is Miami's defense. But some of it is just a bad new habit that the Pistons have picked up this postseason. They need to lose it.

Look, this isn't rocket science. Four against five is never as good as five against five. And it seems to me when Ben is happy, the team is happy. So let him play hustler, free safety, point guard, shot blocker. Heck, if he wants to turn off the lights and lock the door on his way out, let him. The Pistons' heart beats louder when the Fro is fearsome, and the more he touches the ball, the more fearsome he becomes.

Remember, as they say, idle hands are the devil's tools.

And why help those Heat players?
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread