0 0%
  • Rasheed Wallace

2 11.76%
  • Other

1 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Game 1: Pistons vs Heat (Tue 5/23, 8p ET, ESPN)

Game 1: Pistons vs Heat (Tue 5/23, 8p ET, ESPN)

Eastern Conference Finals

Series tied 0-0

VS

Official Game Chat
    Starts: 8:00pm EST

Click here to enter CHAT
    (please be aware that the chatroom is logged and monitored, and any funny and/or incriminating stuff you say will most likely be posted here)

Requirements:
    1. You must be a registered member of WTFDetroit.com (click here to register)
    2. Get the latest version of Flash for your computer

Round 3 Schedule

Game 1: at DET Tue, May 23 - 8:00 pm EDT TV: ESPN
    Game 2: at DET Thu, May 25 - 8:00 pm EDT TV: ESPN
    Game 3: at MIA Sat, May 27 - 8:00 pm EDT TV: ESPN
    Game 4: at MIA Mon, May 29 - 8:00 pm EDT TV: ABC
    *Game 5: at DET Wed, May 31 - 8:00 pm EDT TV: ESPN
    *Game 6: at MIA Fri, Jun 2 - 8:00 pm EDT TV: ESPN
    *Game 7: at DET Sun, Jun 4 - 8:00 pm EDT TV: ABC

* - If necessary

added a poll

i'm am SO pumped for this game. unfortunately, i'll be at work, but at least i can watch it on TV.

the rest that Miami got can only help them. i have to think that they will be ready to exact revenge on the Pistons. especially with Shaq recently talking about being injured during last ECF's. i'm sure they (along w/ their fans) feel that they could/should have been in the Finals last season.

as of late, many are claiming that the Heat are finally hitting their stride and playing cohesively. good news for them, but i'll believe it when i see it. fact remains, they were atrocious against the top teams during the regular season. they did play well enough to beat a gritty Bulls team and the talented trio of the Nets.

I can't imagine this series going any less than 7 game. i want to believe that the Heat are pretenders, but you don't make it to back to back ECF's by being pretenders.

we need to come out with great energy in this Game 1 and hit 'em hard with our defense. force turnovers, hit the offensive boards, and limit our turnovers. let's take care of home court and then steal one in Miami.

<obligatory "will flip play delfino on wade?" comment>
    Last edited by Matt; 05-23-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    <obligatory "will flip play delfino on wade?" comment>
    you knew Flip had to throw that out there just to fuck with FP22. i doubt it pretty much. unless he eats evans alive in ways that shouldnt be seen. we wont get to see carlos.

EDIT: nevermind, that wont even get carlos on the court. he'd just as soon run Rip more minutes instead.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    Wait... the team that has Shaq, which went against only teams with NOTHING in the middle in the first two rounds of the playoffs, and still did not in any way breeze its way through the first two rounds, is "hitting its stride"?

I thought they were simply exposing mismatches and winning the series they were supposed to win - - - and just like the Pistons, taking longer than it should have to do so (see the Chicago series).

Fuck the Heat. I'm sick of the revisionist history with that team and the news media.

I call bullshit.

Miami ain't hitting no stride. They're struggling to beat teams they should destroy. Shaq vs. New Jersey WITHOUT 85 year old small forward turned center Cliff Robinson? Even with old Cliffy New Jersey is probably the weakest team in the league in the middle - with the exception of Miami's first round opponent. Mike Sweetney? Darius Songaila?
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

I read somewhere that Wade is going to watch the Cleveland/Detroit game film, and try to expose some of the same mismatches LeBron did.

So, does that mean Wade is going to shove with his off arm each time he touches the ball and the defender will be called for it?
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

Blog Entries
    Unleash the Lathampacas!!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...89/1048/SPORTS

The matchup everyone expected becomes a reality

BY KRISTA LATHAM
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

May 23, 2006

"Oh, I definitely wanted this series."
    CHAUNCEY BILLUPS, Pistons point guard, on getting a rematch of last year's Eastern Conference finals.

Re-Heated Rivalry
    DWYANE WADE

"This is a completely different team. That is why the rivalry is not there like it could be. But it's still the Miami Heat and the Detroit Pistons."

SHAQUILLE O'NEAL

"We want to win the whole thing and whoever is in our way, that is who we want to try to beat. So it's not really revenge."

PAT RILEY

"(Shaq) wants to win a championship. Dwyane's healthy and in shape -- we're all healthy and in shape. Let's go for it."
    So many times, preseason predictions turn out to be bunk. So many times, reality is far different from what everyone expects to happen.

Not this time.

All season, the Pistons and the Miami Heat seemed destined for a rematch in the Eastern Conference finals. And starting with Game 1 tonight at the Palace, destiny is now reality, and it's something the players admit they'd hoped for all along.

"Oh, I definitely wanted this series," point guard Chauncey Billups said. "I think they're the other best team in the Eastern Conference. And when you're the best, you want to play against the other teams that are supposed to be the best. That's what the playoffs are all about."

Last season, the Pistons and the Heat forced a winner-take-all Game 7 in Miami. And for much of that game, the Heat led. But in the final quarter, Rasheed Wallace made big plays and Billups hit four free throws late in the game, icing an 88-82 win that ended the Heat's NBA Finals bid.

Since then, the only real constants in South Beach have been superstars Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal. Stan Van Gundy is gone as head coach, replaced in December by president Pat Riley, who spent the summer upending his roster despite its relative success.

He brought in Antoine Walker and Gary Payton. He courted Michael Finley, only to see the veteran guard go to San Antonio. And he parted ways with key players Eddie Jones and Damon Jones.

Now, the Heat is the same team wearing a different costume. The same two dominant players, Wade and O'Neal, run the show. But the supporting cast and the director have changed.

The Pistons assume that shakedown came with them in mind. "I was a little surprised that they changed up most of their roster and key parts of their team," Billups said, "especially with them being so close to getting to the Finals. They made their adjustments to make sure they'd beat us."

But the Heat says this year's series is not about getting revenge for last season.

"They beat us last year," O'Neal said, "but we are not worried about just beating the people that beat us. We want to win the whole thing and whoever is in our way, that is who we want to try to beat. So it's not really revenge. We know we have to go through them and they have to go through us."

The Pistons agree; while they wanted to play Miami, they aren't reminiscing about last season.

"That's over," Rasheed Wallace said. "That's a year ago. I ain't worried about that."

The Heat has spent the last six days resting in Miami after dispatching the New Jersey Nets in five games. The Pistons, meanwhile, needed seven games and what coach Flip Saunders called an "extraordinary" defensive effort to finally send LeBron James out of his first playoffs.

The Pistons struggled against the Cavaliers, shooting just 42.5% from the field while averaging 87 points.

But Saunders gave a succinct "no" when asked if he was worried about his team's offense. With the Cleveland defense out of the picture and a more traditional opponent headed their way, the Pistons expect to get back to their comfort zones.

"They have a different style," said Richard Hamilton, who will likely have to guard Wade for much of this series. "They played totally different than Cleveland. It's a totally different series."

If anything, the Pistons, in the Eastern Conference finals for the fourth straight season, just want to build on the positive parts of the Cleveland series: The long stretches when their defense dominated. The shorter stretches when their offense clicked.

"I think there were times, against Cleveland, that we played well," Saunders said. "We played well offensively in spurts. But we never could put together any runs. The one thing we have to do is play with more consistency."

Contact KRISTA LATHAM at 313-223-4493 or

klatham@freepress.com.
    Find a new slant.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    So, does that mean Wade is going to shove with his off arm each time he touches the ball and the defender will be called for it?

with plenty of this w/o dribbling the b-ball
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutz Gatsu

with plenty of this w/o dribbling the b-ball
    Its never a good sign when Gutz and I agree with each other.

PS: I'm diggin the retro Gutz screenname.

It looks like scouts inc. on ESPN.com has already selected the Heat to win in 7...

Good.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

I love our matchups against the Heat. Our X-factors as I see them (Chauncey, Tay and Sheed) all have weak defenders on them. The Pistons have always coasted when they took their opponent for granted, but I just can't see this happening this series. The Cavs woke them up from their playoff nap, and they should be ready, even with the extra rest (rust) of the Heat.

+ Reply to Thread