From bodog.com as of this morning:

Detroit Pistons 1/1

Dallas Mavericks 3/1

San Antonio Spurs 13/4 (3.25/1)

Miami Heat 5/1

Phoenix Suns 10/1

Cleveland Cavaliers 15/1

Los Angeles Clippers 18/1

Anybody know what the Pistons odds were before Game 6 vs. Cleveland? It would be interesting to see how it has changed.
    Find a new slant.

If I bet, I'm putting money on the Spurs. I don't think the Pistons, who lost to a similar SA team last year, are three times more likely than the Spurs are to win the title. Pot odds, friends.

yeah i was checking odds at the place where I bet www.thegreek.com and before game 6 they were still favored to win the whole thing. I was a bit suprised

For each team to win the championship, here are the odds at www.sportsinteraction.com:
    Pistons $1.90
    Spurs $3.75
    Mavs $6.00
    Heat $6.00
    Suns $15
    Clippers $21
    Cavs $29

I figure only 3 teams--Pistons, Mavs, Spurs--can win the trophy. And I am willing to pay $20 for the Pistons to win the championship. That's how I rationalized betting $10 on the Mavs to win it, and then also separately betting $10 for the Spurs to win it.

That's $20 total investment, and the average payback is $48.75 ((37.50 Spurs+60.00 Mavs)/2), so the adjusted return is 48.75/20, or 2.43 times my investment. That is a good investment as long as there is at least a 41% chance (100/2.43) of either the Mavs or the Spurs winning it. Given that we could lose today, and that there's no assurance we'll beat the Heat, I say there is welll over a 41% chance of my bets panning out.

That said, betting on the Pistons to get the rings is a good bet as long as there is a 53% chance of them winning it. (100/1.9). Unfortunately, friends, I don't put our odds that high. We'd have to survive today against a team that has our number; overcome Shaq, Wade, and the refs; and then have to deal w/ either the Mavs, who are excellent, or the Spurs, who beat us last year.

I'll put it this way: I think there's far more than a 41% chance that the Spurs or the Mavs will win it--I'd put it closer to 55%. But I think that a 53% chance for the Pistons is about right, if not lower given our obstacles.

I hope you guys don't hate me.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    i didnt think odds could be 1/1. so if i put $100 on the pistons, and they won, i would just get my $100 back? then id have to pay taxes on it? so id end up losing money if i bet on deeetroit and they won. lol, stupid. ive never bet so maybe im missing something but it sounds stupid.

altho realistic, i like what you did.. i always wondered if you could bet across the board and make it mathmatically possible to win money regardless (considering one of the three teams wins).

Quote Originally Posted by UxKa
    i didnt think odds could be 1/1. so if i put $100 on the pistons, and they won, i would just get my $100 back? then id have to pay taxes on it? so id end up losing money if i bet on deeetroit and they won. lol, stupid. ive never bet so maybe im missing something but it sounds stupid.

altho realistic, i like what you did.. i always wondered if you could bet across the board and make it mathmatically possible to win money regardless (considering one of the three teams wins).
    Thanks, Ux.

I even considered putting $10 more dollars down on the Heat to win it. That, along w/ my other above bets, would mean that I'd need only a 19% chance of one of those teams winning it to make a sound gamble. ((60+60+37.50)/3) = 5.23 and 100/5.23=19. But I couldn't convince myself that the Heat could beat the Mavs or the Spurs, so I didn't pull the trigger on the extra bet.

And, actually, I suspect my math is off because it assumes that each team has an equal chance of winning it, but I think the math should be more like this: [60(.1) Heat] + [60 (.25) Mavs] + [37.5 (.30) Spurs]...

I don't know. I'm confused. I got a C in Calc. Twice. Could someone good at math tell me how I should be doing the numbers? This really interests me and I'd like to make a hobby of this.

I bet Chris is good at this stuff. Anyone?

P.S. Ux, the odds for Pistons are 1.90, so if you bet $100, you'd win $190.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Glenns original post was 1/1 so i was just using that site as an example, not your specific example. but i never took calc so i cant help you there. on another note, if you took the heat too i would have to hate you lol. good luck with that though. if it pans out ill have to start looking into some investments for next season and remembering my algebra, i did tutor in that in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by UxKa
    Glenns original post was 1/1 so i was just using that site as an example, not your specific example. but i never took calc so i cant help you there. on another note, if you took the heat too i would have to hate you lol. good luck with that though. if it pans out ill have to start looking into some investments for next season and remembering my algebra, i did tutor in that in HS.
    My bad. I normally just ignore Glenn's posts...

But this stuff does interest me. A normal company, depending on the industry, is thrilled to make 10% on investment each year. If I could make that on my bets with no effort, that would be great. Of course a normal business is also able to liquidate assets, so it doesn't lose ALL the investment when things go bad. Lose a bet and you lose all the investment. So I suppose this is closer to junk bonds... But I'm excited nonetheless.

Blog Entries
    1/1 means you would win $1 for every $1 you bet
    Find a new slant.

Something is fucked up on those odds, aren't they..cause if the Pistons are even money and they are the favs, then whomever is booking this is going to lose a lot of fucking money.

+ Reply to Thread