View Poll Results: What has been the biggest recent surprise in Detroit sports?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Wings get bounced in the first round of the NHL playoffs

0 0%
  • The Pistons struggling in the NBA playoffs

6 40.00%
  • The Tigers incredible start

9 60.00%
  • Something else (please clarify)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest recent surprise in Detroit sports?

Blog Entries

What is the biggest recent surprise in Detroit sports?

There's a lot of wild stuff going on across the Detroit sports scene.

What do you think is the biggest surprise story right now?
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    I'm going with the Tigers.

As much as seeing a #1 seed (Wings) go down to a #8 is a surprise, even diehard hockey fans didn't seem all that surprised from what I can tell.

As for the Pistons, a lot of us that thought that the bench was weak or underused and who think that we rely on the jumpshot way too much sort of saw this coming, or at least saw it as a possibility. All of those game threads where people here were saying "don't worry, stop complaining, look at our record" seem kind of silly right about now, IMO.

Then we have the Tigers. In the "how excited are you about the Tigers" thread in the MLB forum that was started early in the season, most (including me) felt that .500 was about the best we could hope for. Some thought we had a good chance of at least hanging around in the wildcard hunt for a while.

But best record in baseball in mid-May? Our Tigers?

Get the fuck out of here.
    Find a new slant.

Its gotta be the Tigers. I mean, its no surprise at all that the Old Red Guard can't get it done in the 'offs. And while I had hoped the Pistons would play better in the their playoffs its not exactly uncommon for them to struggle against worse teams.

The Tigers though. WTF is going on? They are forcing me to learn a new sport.
    STEW BEEF!

i voted Pistons, even though there's a chance they win the series and go on to the ECF's and Finals. it's because people had such high expectations for the Pistons.

the Tigers are a close second, imo.

i'm not much of a hockey fan, but i think upsets are more likely in the NHL, right?

Blog Entries
    [smilie=bump.gif]
    Find a new slant.

The Pistons have my vote.

The Cavaliers are a pretty good team, but there's no way they should have won three(maybe four) games against us. We are a 64 win team and to see us possibly lose in the 2nd round will be a huge disappointment.

The Tigers are actually playing up to their talent, which hasn't happened in awhile. No major surprise there since it was due.

Fuck hockey. It sucks.

The Tigs for me. We were the worst team in friggin baseball a couple of years ago, and now the best.

Fuck'n A

I'd have to go with the Tigers. If the Pistons were to pull a surprise of similar significance, they'd have to hit rock bottom in the league next season.

Detroit is one game away from being the Detroit Supersonics. Gotta be the Pistons. I know it's been a while for the Tigers, but it is only May. That's what - 1/7 of the season?

1/4 of the season complete, at or near the top in the league. With their winning percentage, the equivalent for the Pistons (in my mind) is being 7-13 at their 1/4 point in the season.

Granted most of us feel very strongly in the Pistons' chances to succeed in the playoffs, I think it's kinda naive to expect that it would be smooth sailing all the way.

+ Reply to Thread