+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boo-ing National Anthems

Boo-ing National Anthems

Oh no, San JoseBy Matt Romig, Yahoo! Sports
    May 15, 2006
    Presumably, San Jose Sharks fans are aware that Aneroid, Saskatchewan, hometown of team captain Patrick Marleau, isn't a tiny fishing hamlet in rural Minnesota.
    They've had less time to familiarize themselves with Hart Trophy candidate Joe Thornton, but certainly they have to know that he didn't grow up playing pond hockey in the shadows of Big Ben in London, Ontario.
    San Jose's top three playoff scorers are all Canadian, Marleau and Thornton included. Seven other Sharks hail from America's neighbors to the north.
    So when fans in the Shark Tank inexplicably erupted into a chorus of boos when the Canadian national anthem was performed Sunday – a classless display that continued through to the end of the rendition – they were essentially booing the home team.
    Though that's not the point, really.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("");if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=aS0tj86.I.YVBgQ2Q95GwAIDQ0blukRoll8ABzzM&T=13qr 9l3ul%2fX%3d1147704927%2fE%3d97218196%2fR%3dsports %2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d12348 6693%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d9FE78E44');yzq_a('a', '&U=139k0v6k0%2fN%3d9FaOAdibyhM-%2fC%3d445724.8338794.9189544.3029506%2fD%3dLREC%2 fB%3d3521731');}The conduct of San Jose's fans was inexcusable, particularly in an area as diverse as the San Francisco Bay Area. You could sing national anthems all night without representing all the nationalities that make up San Jose's unique fan base.
    Politics fueled the battle the last time American and Canadian fans took turns disrespecting their neighbors by drowning out national songs. The origin of Sunday's protest at HP Pavilion was likely pure stupidity.
    Hopefully, Edmonton fans take the high road before Wednesday's Game 6. Given a chance to redeem themselves, I'd be very surprised if San Jose fans don't get it right before a deciding Game 7.
    But to get that chance, Thornton, Marleau and the rest of the Sharks will have to turn things around in this series. Edmonton will have home ice advantage in Game 6 and has all the momentum in the world on its side after scoring four third-period goals in Sunday's win.
    The Sharks have looked hurried, frazzled. Edmonton has played with composed aggression, forcing San Jose to fall apart late in both Games 4 and 5.
    THIRD STAR OF THE DAY
    Once again, center Shawn Horcoff gave the San Jose Sharks fits. His shorthanded goal gave Edmonton a brief 3-1 lead just 12 seconds into the third period, and he later assisted on Fernando Pisani's game-winning goal. Faceoffs have been key in this series, and Horcoff won 13 of 20 draws Sunday to maintain his dominance in that department.
    SECOND STAR OF THE DAY
    Carolina forward Cory Stillman had to leave Sunday's series clincher with a leg injury, but not before scoring the game-winning goal as the Hurricanes advanced to the Eastern Conference finals. Stillman actually drew the cross-checking penalty on David Hale, then tipped in a pass from Justin Williams to give Carolina a 2-1 lead. He was forced out of the game in the third period when his leg twisted awkwardly after a hit along the end boards. Needless to say, the Hurricanes, already thin at left wing with Erik Cole on the shelf, are anxiously awaiting word on the extent of the injury.
    FIRST STAR OF THE DAY
    Ryan Smyth didn't let a few lost teeth prevent him from contributing to Edmonton's Game 3 overtime win. Overcoming a broken stick Sunday must have felt like child's play. Smyth skated to the bench after suffering equipment failure during an Oilers power play in the second period. No problem. He secured a replacement stick, rejoined the action and seconds later collected a rebound and beat Sharks goalie Vesa Toskala to score a tie-breaking goal. Smyth finished with a season-best four points after adding another goal and two assists in the win.
    MINOR PENALTY
    Edmonton players and coaches shrugged off the national anthem fiasco, but the event marred what has been the most compelling series of the conference semifinals. San Jose fans are frequently mentioned as the league's best. This incident certainly won't help maintain that image.
    MAJOR PENALTY
    Quite a contrast of styles between penalty kills in this series. San Jose plays it safe, rarely coming out of its box. The Sharks were stubbornly conservative when Smyth broke his stick during that second-period power play, allowing the Edmonton forward to leave the zone, retrieve a replacement and rejoin the play without stepping up their pressure on the puck. The Oilers never lost the zone, and seconds later Smyth scored.
    Edmonton, on the other hand, is putting constant pressure on San Jose puckhandlers during Sharks power plays. The Oilers have forced the Sharks into making quick decisions, and so far the strategy is paying off. San Jose is just 2 for 27 with the man-advantage in the series, and Edmonton has generated several shorthanded scoring chances. Joe Thornton has not been able to monopolize the puck as he did in the Nashville series. Oilers triggerman Chris Pronger, however, generally has all the time he needs to quarterback the power play.
    WHAT TO WATCH FOR WEDNESDAY
    Game 6: San Jose Sharks at Edmonton Oilers – The Sharks have two nights off to try to regain some footing in the lone remaining conference semifinal series. The Oilers won all the little battles in Games 3 through 5. They won key faceoffs, they pressured the Sharks into mistakes and they kept their cool while the Sharks unraveled.
    Will the Sharks stick with Toskala or turn to Evgeni Nabokov to try to salvage this series? Toskala has been shaky, but Nabokov hasn't started a game in almost a month.
    HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT Watch
    Great tic-tac-toe passing sets up Cory Stillman's game-winning goal for Carolina. The Hurricanes advance to face Buffalo in the Eastern Conference finals.

Matt Romig is a Yahoo! Sports fantasy expert and NHL analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.
    Updated on Monday, May 15, 2006 8:39 am EDT
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

We should boo them all we want, but if they boo us one more time, I say we take over their country. Damn freeloaders. It's a measure of our generosity that we haven't invaded them yet.

Ungrateful hosers.

Quote Originally Posted by realistic
    We should boo them all we want, but if they boo us one more time, I say we take over their country. Damn freeloaders. It's a measure of our generosity that we haven't invaded them yet.

Ungrateful hosers.

Go back to your rundown shack and put some wheels on that beater you call a car on your front lawn

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    i snmell a canada vs america terrordome battle.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."
    No need. Booing anyone's national anthem is garbage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugadaddi
    I guess I was garbage when I was 9. I used to boo the Iron Shiek all the time when he would sing the Iranian anthem.

Find a new slant.

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."
    Actually....you should be applauded for that.

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraserburn
    Go back to your rundown shack and put some wheels on that beater you call a car on your front lawn
    For your information, it's a run-down apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by realistic
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraserburn
    For your information, it's a run-down apartment.

oh so you wouldnt have a front lawn either.......parking lot then

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugadaddi
    I guess I was garbage when I was 9. I used to boo the Iron Shiek all the time when he would sing the Iranian anthem.

You poser. His Russian partner sang the Russian anthem (Nikolai something or other), while the Iron Sheik looked on.

+ Reply to Thread