Page 2 of 18
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 2: San Antonio (1) vs Dallas (4), Mavs win 4-3

What? Montross isn't a good player.

Well done Matt.
    STEW BEEF!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    That shot didn't "almost make sense". It made absolutely no sense. He got the ball with Ginobili BEHIND him,
    That's only because he had to hustle to even get the ball. Ginobili was in front or alongside him virtually all the time and almost intercepted the ball, remember?

My overall point is -- There was no way that San Antonio nailing Stack on a strong move to the hole would get charged with a foul at that point in the game, especially with Ginobili prepared to flop at a moment's notice.

"almost" is the key word.

then dribbled back to the three point line with his team down by 2 letting Manu get in front of him and pretty much broadcasting his intention not to drive and to take a 3.
    It looked like that was the option Avery wanted him to be.

Manu didn't have to worry about anything other than not running into him while he smothered his 3 point heave. Not to mention that Dampier had Duncan sealed out under the basket so Stackhouse had a possible open dunk and a definite open floater/layup/3 foot jumper.
    I'd fully expect him to get fouled in the attempt, so it isn't nearly as high % as it sounds. About the only way Stack draws a foul is if going away from the basket with Ginobili clearly looking like the aggressor.

What does it matter why manu was behind him? Stack had the ball with a clear route to the hole. He chose to run behind Ginobili and allow his beaten defender to get a 2nd chance. Duncan was sealed off, Ginobili beaten, SCORE THE FREE POINTS! Nope, not Stack.

And I don't understand why Stackhouse is more likely to get a call on a fade-away three pointer as he's jumping out of bounds but less likely to get one should Manu foul him from behind while he scores a lay-up/dunk down an open path to the basket.

Maybe Avery had drawn the play up with Stack as the bail-out three point option. Of course, I assume the play he drew up wasn't for Dirk to go stumbling away from the basket as he flailed the ball toward Stack nor do I think he anticipated Manu getting himself out of position going after the pass rather than guarding his man. I don't know if I'd bank on Avery backing up Stack's choice of running away from an open bucket because "its not how the play was drawn up."
    Last edited by Fool; 05-08-2006 at 12:20 PM.
    STEW BEEF!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    What does it matter why manu was behind him? Stack had the ball with a clear route to the hole. He chose to run behind Ginobili and allow his beaten defender to get a 2nd chance. Duncan was sealed off, Ginobili beaten, SCORE THE FREE POINTS! Nope, not Stack.
    It looked like they were more side-by-side, but I only saw one replay of it yesterday from one camera angle. If Ginobili was behind him, it wasn't by much because he'd been well ahead of him nearly stealing Dirk's wobbly pass.

And I don't understand why Stackhouse is more likely to get a call on a fade-away three pointer as he's jumping out of bounds but less likely to get one should Manu foul him from behind while he scores a lay-up/dunk down an open path to the basket.
    Home court, last couple seconds of the game, Ginobili involved -- that's the context in which I'm saying it "almost makes sense". There's almost no way is anyone going to call a foul on the Spurs in that context, and Ginobili is close enough and smart enough to foul, so assume all shots are low-%. With that in mind, do you take that low-% shot to -win- or to -tie-? That's where it _almost_ makes sense (as long as you don't think too hard about why they didn't call a timeout).

Maybe Avery had drawn the play up with Stack as the bail-out three point option. Of course, I assume the play he drew up wasn't for Dirk to go stumbling away from the basket as he flailed the ball toward Stack nor do I think he anticipated Manu getting himself out of position going after the pass rather than guarding his man. I don't know if I'd bank on Avery backing up Stack's choice of running away from an open bucket because "its not how the play was drawn up."
    Avery was damn lucky Stack even got the ball. It was a lousy play by Dirk (but IIRC, Dirk was being hit by Bowen).

Oh well... enough from me about this.

So......

*tumble weed rolls by*

Spurs have gotten into foul trouble and the Mavs are working them so far. Stackhouse having another big game.

GO MAVS AND THOSE BLAND JERSEYS!

Spurs fans whining like bitches.

Josh Howard is kicking ass.

18 points, 9 rebounds and 3 assists already.

We should have drafted him.

Are the fans booing?
    STEW BEEF!

THeyve been booing all game.

+ Reply to Thread