+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Game 5 - Pistons closeout series, 122-93 (5/3)

Game 5 - Pistons closeout series, 122-93 (5/3)

Pregame

Pistons lead Series: 3-1

VS

The Detroit Pistons are on the verge of advancing to the Eastern Conference semifinals despite the struggles of leading scorer Richard Hamilton.

The two-time defending conference champions look to close out their series with the Milwaukee Bucks as they host Game 5 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Hamilton has averaged just 16.8 points on 34.5 percent shooting in this series, well below his season averages of 20.1 and 49.1, respectively, and his career playoff scoring average of 20.9 points. He went just 4-for-14 from the field in Tuesday's 109-99 win at Milwaukee, but hit a key 3-pointer in a game-breaking 8-0 fourth-quarter run and also made 9 of 10 shots from the foul line.

"Regardless of how I shoot, if I can do any other thing to help my team win -- if that's defend or whatever -- I'm going to be out there," said Hamilton, who has been slowed by a thigh bruise and ankle injury in this series.

"I'm beat up. I'm just trying to fight through it and that's my role."

While Hamilton struggled, point guard Chauncey Billups picked up the slack. The MVP candidate scored 34 points, hit all 16 of his free throws and did a stellar job containing Bucks counterpart T.J. Ford in the fourth quarter after Ford had netted 16 third-period points.

"We're always comfortable when Chauncey has the ball in his hands in any situation," Pistons guard Lindsey Hunter said. "He's played in those situations."

That comfort after deep playoff runs the past two years is key for the Pistons as first-year coach Flip Saunders tries to lead them to their second NBA title in three years.

"There's no question it helps when you've been there, you know what to expect," Saunders said. "That's one of the reasons that we didn't take many bad shots in the fourth quarter. We took some bad ones in the third, but when it came down to crunch time, we moved the ball, got some open looks, got mismatches, got to the free-throw line and did the things that you need to do offensively."

Tayshaun Prince added 18 points and Antonio McDyess had 11 and 11 rebounds for Detroit, which would make its fifth consecutive second-round appearance with a win.

Michael Redd scored 33 points for the Bucks, continuing his strong play in the series. Redd is averaging 34.0 points while shooting 60.7 percent from the field in his last three games, but without consistent contributions from his teammates, the Bucks are likely looking at their second first-round elimination by the Pistons in three years.

"It's win or go home now, like they say," Bucks forward Joe Smith said. "There's a lot of pressure on our backs. We have a lot of guys in this locker room that are willing to step up to the challenge. It's going to be tough in Detroit, but we feel that if we go out there with a positive attitude, learn from our mistakes (Monday) and build upon what we've been doing positive this series, I think we'll be fine."

Ford finished with 21 points and five assists, but also committed six of Milwaukee's series-high 16 turnovers. Those miscues led to 33 points for the Pistons, who had just six turnovers of their own.

"That's what hurt us," Ford said. "We've got to protect the ball, go watch film and make adjustments."

The Bucks would host Game 6 on Friday if they win this game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2006050308
    Game 4 Statistical Leaders

Michael Redd 33

Rebounds:
    Antonio McDyess 11
    Jamal Magloire 11

Assists:
    Tayshaun Prince 7
    Andrew Bogut 6

Steals:
    Tayshaun Prince 3
    Charlie Bell 2

Blocks:
    Antonio McDyess 2
    Jamal Magloire 3

Bench Points:
    Pistons: 26
    Bucks: 29

Official Game Chat
    Starts: 6:00pm EST

Click here to enter CHAT
    (please be aware that the chatroom is logged and monitored, and any funny and/or incriminating stuff you say will most likely be posted here)

Requirements:
    1. You must be a registered member of WTFDetroit.com (click here to register)
    2. Get the latest version of Flash for your computer

Round 1 schedule:

1. Sun, Apr 23 – Pistons win, 92-74
    2. Wed, Apr 26 – Pistons win 109-98
    3. Sat, Apr 29 – Bucks win 124-104
    4. Mon, May 1 – Pistons win 109-99
    5. Wed, May 3 – at Detroit (TBA, WB20)
    6.* Fri, May 5 – at Milwaukee (TBA, WB20)
    7.* Sun, May 7 – at Detroit (TBA, WB20)

*if necessary
    Last edited by Matt; 05-03-2006 at 08:37 AM.

Better win this game, and its at home too.

Redd goes 0-20, Sheed and Tay both combine for 40.

Ben Wallace gets +15 boards tonight.

We rape them, 98-82

Game starts at 6:00 PM !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Game starts at 6:00 PM !!!!

105-87

if anyone is interested in tickets for this game, please PM me. i have a pair of tix in the lower leve, but can't make the game.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    It'll be on tv20 as well.

105-87 is the number of people who will be there for tip off.
    STEW BEEF!

Re

6PM EST which is 3 IN THE AFTER-FRIGGIN-NOON out here on the West Coast. Woo hoo, I'm knocking off early today to be in my good luck chair.

I'd love to put this series away and chill for a couple days and we can do that if we play some D.

I'm still hoping Chicago and Sac will go home and win one more at home to send the Heat and Spurs to a 7th game while we are at home chillin.

FLASHBACK...I remember Zeke saying, in our second run 90, how important it is to win these early series quickly so the team can rest. Back then it was 5 game series. We have a chance to take advantage of that, so lets do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    if anyone is interested in tickets for this game, please PM me. i have a pair of tix in the lower leve, but can't make the game.
    damn you NBA, putting lebron on primetime. can't even get rid of these tickets under face value.

Blog Entries
    Let's end this shit.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread