+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Official Red Wings Offseason Thread

It looks as if Manny Legace is as good as gone. He said that he wants to be the starter for whatever team he plays for. I really doubt that the Wings will want him back if they have to promise that he'll be the starter.

i'd take legace back as a starter if its on the cheap. hes a damn good goalie.

red wing fans are going to be in for a culture shock when we cant bring everyone back AND go and buy the best goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    i'd take legace back as a starter if its on the cheap. hes a damn good goalie.

red wing fans are going to be in for a culture shock when we cant bring everyone back AND go and buy the best goalie.
    He's an amazing backup.

He isn't good as a starter, he gets tired and breaks down.

He is the equivilant to a AAAA player. Down a level he is too good to leave, at he top he isn't good enough. He is already 33 I believe.

He will be ditched, and we will either trade for Luongo, or get Biron to platoon with Howard, IMO. Luongo is too good to pass up, and Biron is used to dealing with the Hot Shot behind him(Miller in Buffalo). So I think that those are the best options, maybe somebody like Bryzgalov, or some other youngin', but are they really better than Howard? I want either a stud, or to start using Howard.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

BTW, Shanny is playing for Team Canada at the World Championships.

And Samuelsson, Zetterberg, Franzén and Kronwall will be playing for the Sweedish team.

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."
    Chris Chelios will be back for another NHL season, as the 44-year-old defenceman has signed a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings.

According to the Detroit Free Press, the deal will pay him $850,000 next season.

Chelios will be entering his 22nd NHL campaign in 2006-07 and his seventh full season in Detroit.

In 1,476 career games, he has 182 goals and 925 points.

Chelios was a member of the Montreal Canadiens' Stanley Cup winning team in 1986 and became the first American-born player to win the Norris Trophy as the league's best defenseman in the 1989-90.

He won two more Norris Trophies during while in Chicago and led the team in points during the 1995-96 season.

Chelios helped Detroit win the Stanley Cup in 2002.

CLEARY RE-UPS: Few players grew into a role as fast as Dan Cleary did when he arrived last season. He was the guy teammates ripped on because he was always in the mix of everything, running tournament pools, throwing numbers together -- and all of it in good fun. That's just one of the reasons Cleary wanted to come back. The Wings have signed him to a two-year deal worth $650,000 in the first year and $675,000 in the second.

"I'm excited to come back," Cleary said. "Ecstatic, to tell you the truth. I really like Detroit -- great, great teammates. I got along really well with the guys, and going to the rink and having fun makes playing that much easier."

Cleary, 27, grew into an adept penalty killer with partner Johan Franzen, and contributed three goals and 12 assists in 77 games.

Red Wings agree to deal with Markov

Free agent defenceman Danny Markov has agreed to terms with the Detroit Red Wings, a source told The Canadian Press on Wednesday.

The 30-year-old spent last season with the Nashville Predators, a team as deep as any on the blue-line. He had 11 assists and a plus-9 rating in 58 games last season.

Markov will join his sixth NHL team and fifth in as many years.

In 472 NHL games with Toronto, Phoenix, Carolina, Philadelphia and the Predators, he has 25 goals and 106 assists for 131 points.
    Pretty good signing IMO.

How much are we paying him? It's a good signing if he came cheap.

1 year $2.5 mill

slightly overpaid, but your back end needed grit and a little toughness
    he's a good defenseman he just loses his head sometimes in his own zone while going for a huge hit or if his temper gets up
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

Red Wings re-sign Williams to two-year contract

Jason Williams re-signed with the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday, agreeing to a two-year deal.

Williams had career highs last season with 20 goals, 58 points and 80 games. Getting an opportunity to play a key role for the first time, Williams had 13 points in the first 10 games and was the first Red Wing to score three times in a period since the 1996-97 season. He was a restricted free agent.

"We are pleased to reach a deal with Jason before going to arbitration," Red Wings Ken Holland said. "He took a big step forward as a NHL player last year and we look forward to even more progress in the future."

Is Williams ready to play on one of Detroit's top two lines?

"We think so, and we're about to find out," Holland said.

Williams, who will turn 26 before the season starts in October, made his NHL debut during the 2000-01 season when he played five games for the Red Wings. The London, Ontario, native played 25 games during the 2001-02 season, 16 the next and 49 the following season.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2531871

+ Reply to Thread