+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: And the Detroit Lions select: Ernie Sims, Daniel Bullocks, Brian Calhoun

What a joke!

"Actually word is teams were trying to jump in front of Lions to get at Sims. Supposedly Millen was on the phone with another team trying to get at Sims while they were on the clock."

They can have him! Anybody that wants to look at the sunny side of things with this sims pick is lost with blue goggles on. An undersized, underachieving linebacker with concussion problems! Just great!

This dude was the #1 recruit in the country coming out of high school. Heard much about his since?

Kitna for a year and then bring in a USC Heisman Trophy winner seemed to work out okay for Cincy. I would have liked to see the same.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I'm shocked the Lions didn't trade down from the 9th pick, just shocked.

You gotta think that Sims would have been there as late as 15, maybe later with all of the new concussion reports coming out on him.
    I think the Lions just weren't really willing to take the chance. Here's the deal...Arizona's Denny Green said that he planned on taking Sims and the only reason they wouldn't was because Leinart fell to them. Now if the Lions traded with someone else and they took Leinart with #9, Sims is gone at 10. Personally I think if you have a guy that you're in love with and think he's going to be the perfect pick, sometimes you've just gotta go do it. I mean, is anyone still hating on Indy for taking Freeney and not getting better value at that pick? Probably not. Further on the value point, Millen said that the offers he got were lame, even if it's a little something, he probably would have gotten reemed even more if he move down and only got a 4th rd pick, which is what he claimed he was offered.

As for my take on the draft, I think Millen did a fairly solid job of addressing some needs.

Our linebaking core leaves much to be desired so any help that they bring in on that makes me happy. Getting another safety was also a need. I'm not sure Bullock was the best choice when reading his scouting report which says things like "little to no upside, can't tackle and plays slower than his 40 time." Hopefully, the Lions know something those guys don't.

If rumors are true that Eddie Drummond is less than impressive and Pinner might be on his way out, then Calhoun could be a great back up plan. First and foremost he's better than Pinner, Harris and Bryson, so we know have a legit back up when Kevin Jones inevitably gets injured. He also gives us a guy in the return game now that RW is gone and knowing that Eddie Drummond will miss sometime inevitably. Millen also mentioned that he could have value as a slot option...so to get all of that- great pick, even if it didn't fill one of our more prominent needs.

I think with proper coaching, we got a steal with Jonathan Scott and great value with Fred Mutua. The other guys I doubt make the team, but what can you expect from 6th and 7th rders for the most part? Overall I think we did pretty well, and we've still got a little bit of cash for June 15th cuts...maybe they'll get another DT there, if Wilkinson doesn't come back, I'm still happy with Shaun and Cody in the middle.

People are ragging on Millen for the draft picks, but that's to be expected. People just like to rag on Millen. I don't think it really would've mattered who the Lions selected, nothing can stop Lion fans from continuing to assault the easy target.

I'm hoping that Marinelli got his type of players in the draft - eager to learn, lovers of the game, guys with heart. And from the looks of it, he did. I'd much rather have guys who will come in busting their humps from day one than the flashy big-name guys who may or may not be good workers (see Rogers, Chuck). I don't know much about these guys, but I do trust Marinelli to go out and get the right players with the right mind sets.

For those who are whining that we didn't get flashy players like Leinart - has Joe D taught you nothing? Character combined with talent always trumps raw talent with little motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTre11
    "Actually word is teams were trying to jump in front of Lions to get at Sims. Supposedly Millen was on the phone with another team trying to get at Sims while they were on the clock."

They can have him! Anybody that wants to look at the sunny side of things with this sims pick is lost with blue goggles on. An undersized, underachieving linebacker with concussion problems! Just great!

This dude was the #1 recruit in the country coming out of high school. Heard much about his since?

Kitna for a year and then bring in a USC Heisman Trophy winner seemed to work out okay for Cincy. I would have liked to see the same.
    I mean do we really know this is a bad pick? Can I at least see him in some preseason games before we label him as a garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by TK
    People are ragging on Millen for the draft picks, but that's to be expected. People just like to rag on Millen. I don't think it really would've mattered who the Lions selected, nothing can stop Lion fans from continuing to assault the easy target.

I'm hoping that Marinelli got his type of players in the draft - eager to learn, lovers of the game, guys with heart. And from the looks of it, he did. I'd much rather have guys who will come in busting their humps from day one than the flashy big-name guys who may or may not be good workers (see Rogers, Chuck). I don't know much about these guys, but I do trust Marinelli to go out and get the right players with the right mind sets.

For those who are whining that we didn't get flashy players like Leinart - has Joe D taught you nothing? Character combined with talent always trumps raw talent with little motivation.
    Who here is upset about not getting Leinart? We just got rid of one piano playing metrosexual that didn't fit in because of his personality and now someone is upset cause we didn't take the budding soap opera star? People are truly weird.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko
    Quote Originally Posted by TK

Who here is upset about not getting Leinart? We just got rid of one piano playing metrosexual that didn't fit in because of his personality and now someone is upset cause we didn't take the budding soap opera star? People are truly weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Holy Shit.

The Lions Can Get Matt Leinart.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't have minded drafting Leinart if we hadn't just signed two capable QBs. In fact, I'd be happy as shit.

Part of me even wishes that we would have taken him just to trade him.

Anytime you can get a guy that would have went #1 overall a year ago, and then he went out and had a better year this year, there's got to be value there.

I'm guessing that they considered that route, but Millen really isn't in a position to take any gambles like that given the situation that he has put himself in.
    Find a new slant.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    It's good that he was taken ahead of us JS, otherwise you'd be super pissed when Millen passed on him. They said yesterday that they had no intention of taking guys with mental baggage and off the field issues. So Jimmy and Winston were out.

Thumbs down

"Here's the deal...Arizona's Denny Green said that he planned on taking Sims and the only reason they wouldn't was because Leinart fell to them."

That's exactly the thinking we should have went with. We would have taken Sims, but Leinart fell to us.

Did someone really compare Matt Leinart to Joey Harrington above? Okay, so Joey didn't work out. I guess we shouldn't ever draft a highly touted quarterback coming out of college ever again since Joey didn't work out. Good logic!

Leinart won 2 National Championships, won the Heisman trophy, and lost only 2 games in his entire career. I don't think Joey has that resume. Give me a break. I guess we can't draft a highly touted WR again either considering our recent drafts. I guess we shouldn't draft a highly touted offensive lineman either considering our past. According to this brilliant logic, I don't know if there is a position we can draft. Some fans are ridiculous.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Tre be happy you didnt get him. your line cant block for his statue in the pocket ass. his arm is about as strong as harringtons, if that even. Drafting him woulda been a cold thing to do to him with 2 QB's almost sure to be ahead of him on the depth chart.

i find it odd that USC's acheivements are looked at as a legitimate reason to think leinharts all world. that team was good. he's eating the fruit of that. reggie bush, lendell white, a solid o-line, a damn good defense(darnell bing in oakland baby ). those are the qb's with the best chance to bust IMO. not saying he will though. but measuring him extra higher because of USC only losing 2 games isnt a good idea IMO. i dont even feel he was the deciding factor in that. if reggie bush gets injured how many does he win? i think USC contends for the title w/o leinhart if they still have bush and white. 8.9 ypc is ridiculous and was done with teams keying in on him.

i think the cardinals is a great fit for him. and fuck whose the most hyped guy. its all about who fits your team. if you draft the most talented fit, you'll always have an atleast ok draft. especially in the lions case where they are on the verge of being solid if they fill out the proper holes in their team.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

+ Reply to Thread