+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Delmon Young

Delmon Young

He threw a baseball bat at an umpire the other day and it looked pretty vicious. Don't know what's going on in that kid's mind to do something like that. Got Ryan Leaf?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....baseball-print

Young suspended indefinitely

By Marc Topkin
    St. Petersburg Times

April 28, 2006

NEW YORK -- Delmon Young said he was sorry. The Devil Rays apologized for behavior they said can't and won't be tolerated.

But the loudest voice the day after Young threw a bat toward an umpire came from International League President Randy Mobley. After talking to the umpire and Devil Rays officials, Mobley suspended Young indefinitely pending a review.

A formal punishment could be handed out Friday, and it is expected to include a hefty suspension without pay, possibly up to three weeks. The team could tack on an additional term, making it possible Young, their 20-year-old top prospect, could be out up to a month.

"It's a very unfortunate incident," team executive vice president Andrew Friedman said. "We're still working with the International League to figure out the appropriate punishments."

Young issued a statement through agent Arn Tellem, saying he regretted his actions.

"In the heat of the competition, my emotions got the better of me," Young said. "My behavior was completely unacceptable. I want everyone to know that I recognize that it is never right to throw a bat, and I certainly never intended for the bat to make contact with the umpire. . . . I am sorry."

A widely circulated video shows Young, after being called out on a pitch that appeared to be outside, lingering in the batter's box for about 12 seconds and making several comments to the umpire. He appeared to make one more as he left and was immediately ejected. Young then walked toward the dugout (and out of the video). Seconds later the bat is seen flying end over end toward the umpire, striking him in the chest.

Blog Entries
    No excuse for it. None.

I heard Gammons on the radio this morning and he says Delmon has been a problem since he was drafted.

He's been yelling and screaming at the umps (and in some cases, his teammates) for some time now, and the thought is that he never gets tossed from games because he is the meal ticket down there.

The ownership group in Tampa that drafted him is gone, and the new group is not happy with him at all right now for these obvious reasons. I wouldn't be too shocked to see them cut bait and try to deal him, but they might have to sit tight to see if he can raise his value back up now.
    Find a new slant.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    There was some talk last year of the Devil Rays maybe trading for Dmitri Young to help ease his brother's transition into the bigs. Maybe this could provide some further motivation. I like Dmitri, but his contracts up after this year, and I doubt we would bring him back unless it was a bargain basement deal. The Devil Rays have some real nice-looking prospects and have been known to do stupid things in the past, so maybe we could manage a steal here, maybe even some sort of three-way deal where we bring in an established bat from another team to help with the playoff run if we're somehow still in contention in June.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Wow. Dude is nothing like his brother

Blog Entries
    Anybody got a link to the video?
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Blog Entries
    Ron Artest is reportedly trying to sign Young to his label as we speak:

www.truewarrier.com

GO WHITE!

Blog Entries
    We need TK and Gecko in here to discuss that video and conspiracy theories.

Young didn't throw the bat, he was sitting on the grassy knoll.
    Find a new slant.

That's a lot faster then the "toss" I imagined.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    That's a lot faster then the "toss" I imagined.
    EDIT: scratch that joke, that's too easy
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread