+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

Crawford out after Canucks fail to make playoffsAssociated Press

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Marc Crawford paid the price for failing to meet the high expectations he helped set with the Vancouver Canucks.

Touted as Stanley Cup contenders in September, the Canucks fired Crawford as coach on Tuesday after missing the playoffs for the first time in five seasons.

"We need some new energy, some new juice," general manager Dave Nonis said. "We felt our team needs a kick-start, that we haven't played with the fire we had been known for in the past. A change behind the bench was the first place to start."

Crawford was behind the Vancouver bench for seven seasons, leading it to the Northwest Division title in 2003-04. The Canucks entered this season expected to be one of the top teams in the Western Conference, but that didn't pan out.

The Canucks finished ninth with a 42-32-8 record, losing six of their last eight games to fall three points behind Edmonton for the final playoff spot.

Nonis was quick to point out that not all the blame should fall on Crawford, calling him "a great coach" and hinting player changes may follow.

"I want to make it clear this does not absolve the players for their part in this season," Nonis said. "In no way does this mean there will be no further changes. No way. The fact is there is a lot of blame to be spread around and a lot of it falls on the shoulders of people that were in that locker room."

Crawford, who led the Colorado Avalanche to a Stanley Cup in 1996, finished with a 246-197-70 record in Vancouver but only won one series in four trips to the playoffs. The Canucks twice lost a Game 7 on home ice under his leadership.

With a playoff berth on the line this year, the Canucks struggled defensively, blowing leads in back-to-back games against San Jose to seal their fate. And there were too many nights earlier in the season when they were simply outworked.

"If you want to use the words tuned out or didn't buy in, use whatever phrase you want, the fact is there were too many nights it happened," Nonis said. "It wasn't because the message wasn't correct. It was because in some cases certain players weren't listening to that message."

Crawford, who had one year left on his contract, has 411 career NHL wins and became the third-youngest coach to win 400 career games on Feb. 3 -- 10 days before his 45th birthday. Only Hall of Fame coaches Scotty Bowman and Glen Sather were younger when they hit that mark.

Crawford played every game of his nine-year pro career in the Canucks' organization, finishing with 19 goals and 31 assists in 176 NHL games. He began his NHL coaching career in Quebec in 1994-95, becoming the youngest to win the Jack Adams Award as coach of the year that season.

He took over a Vancouver team midway through the 1998-99 season that had missed the playoffs three straight seasons. They went from 58 to 83 points the following season, just missing the postseason before breaking through in 2000-01, the start of four straight playoff appearances.

"His legacy is one of resurrection," Nonis said. "He gave us credibility when we didn't have any. He'll go down as one of the best coaches who ever coached here."

Crawford was also the head coach of Team Canada in the 1998 Nagano Olympics.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out you filthy cheater!

Dave Nonis should probably fire himself too....he did effectively nothing all year...
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

Yeah. He's threatening changes in the off season, but that just means one thing: REBUILDING YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Shugadaddi
    Yeah. He's threatening changes in the off season, but that just means one thing: REBUILDING YEAR.
    it means no bertuzzi and no jovonoski

of course who knows maybe they'll actually get an NHL Calibre goaltender this year

Maybe, but how many NHL calibre goaltenders are out there to grab?

Good point on Bertuzzi. I wonder where he'll go? My guess: Philly.

I think he'll go to a small market team for a prospect and a draft pick

or toronto they have a lot of cap room and they are a magnet for shit
    in fact I can see toronto being in the running for both bertuzzi and jovocop because i think mccabe is going to the islanders

Please forgive me for being Toronto-illiterate, by why in the hell would they EVER get rid of McCabe?

Oh, and "Jovocop"? That's funny.

mccabe lives on the island
    he used to be an islander

he's a free agent

Toronto is a black hole for talent....

While I'll admit that it was suprising to see Toronto on the outside of the playoffs this year, I shudder to think of them going the route of The Rangers from the last few seasons.

What do you think that they need to do to get back? Do you see an entire overhaul happening? Can they finally boot Lindros to the curb? How's the young goaltending prospects? Do they even have any?

2 hot Goalie prospects in Tukka Rask from Finland and Justin Pogge from the WHL

Pogge was the world junior goalie for canada this year and rask was Finlands

The Leafs need a complete overhaul from the top down
    starting with ownership, then GM, new coach already on the way

I wouldnt be surprised to see lindros, allison, sundin, mccabe all gone

they'll have a tonne of cap room to work some magic
    i have little faith however and tehy'll somehow manage to F' everything up

i've been lookin for a rebuild from them for years
    maybe i'll finally get it

+ Reply to Thread