View Poll Results: Who should the Lions take at 9?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ernie Simms (LB) FSU

0 0%
  • AJ Hawk (LB)

3 25.00%
  • Vince Young (QB) Texas

2 16.67%
  • Jay Cutler (QB) Vanderbilt

0 0%
  • Matt Leinart (QB) USC

0 0%
  • Winston Justice (OT) USC

3 25.00%
  • Haloti Ngata (DT) Oregon

1 8.33%
  • Broderick Bunkley (DT) FSU

0 0%
  • Michael Huff (DB) Texas

3 25.00%
  • Jimmy Williams (DB) VaTech

0 0%
  • Eric Winston (OT) Mia

0 0%
  • Tye Hill (CB) Clemson

0 0%
  • Vernon Davis (TE) Maryland

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lions Draft Poll

Quote Originally Posted by H1Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko
    A few things.

Winston Justice the OT from USC is dropping in the draft due to the "Lack Of Work ethic" tag. If that's the case the Lions won't have anything to do with him.
    Disagree.

After his workout at the USC Pro Day, Justice has seen his stock skyrocket. He went from being a mid-to-late first rounder to the top of the first round, perhaps even the Top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko
    Also, Mike Mayock of NFL network (the guy knows his shit) said that Leinart to him is a second round pick. I have seen a few draft boards that have him slipping in the teens because of his soft arm. mayock said that Leinart cannot throw the fastball into coverage.

With QB's anything can happen. Look at Aaron Rodgers last year. Right up to the draft every draft site had him in the top 10 and most top 5...he went 24.

The NFL knows QB's are a crapshoot. We Lions fans have known this forever.

It's generally accepted (at least by me) that Cutler is the most ready and has the least risk of all the QB's and Vince Young (who I think is not a legit NFL QB) has the most potential but won't be ready for at least 2 seasons.
    Cutler is far from being NFL ready. Of all the QB's available in this draft, Leinart is the safest pick.
    I am just going off what I heard and read. Then again it might of been the other Winston that I heard has the work ethic issue. Not sure so I will defer to you on this one.

cbssportsline draft....

9. Detroit Lions

Matt Leinart, QB, USC: Falling? This is the year of the Trojan in the draft. Leinart here guarantees that at least two USC players will go in the top 10. The Lions might be fed up with former Pac-10 quarterbacks (see ya, Joey) but Leinart is a gift falling to them at No. 9. Why so low? He just doesn't fit anywhere else above Detroit. At least not in this war room.

I'd take Vince first.

Leinart was dope, but Vince even had him in stats without a Reggie Bush or
    a Lendale White. I just don't see why it's even a question as far as Young goes.

He's going to be a fucking stud. He's big as hell and was electrifying while
    carrying his team to two straight bowl wins, Rose and then the National Chip.

What is everyone so low on him? It's ridiculous!

Blog Entries
    I think he could be very good, but I think the Lions need the closest thing to a "safe bet" that they can get, especially after the last highly drafted QB was a bust (and the one before, and the one before...).

Can't say that about VY, IMO.
    Find a new slant.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOLA1
    If Vince Young or Matt Lienart there and we
    don't take him, I'd break a lot of things.
    I swear I remember saying that about Morris Peterson and Rodney White.

I was right about Peterson, but very, very wrong about White.

I still remember where I was during both of those drafts. When we picked Mateen, I was at my best friend's house. I saw they took Mateen over Peterson, and started screaming and throwing pillows at the TV, calling Dumars an idiot and wondering how he could be so stupid.

And I still remember where I was when they drafted Rodney White. I was at a cousin's house, for a family get together, with my fingers crossed that the top 8 teams in the lottery wouldn't steal him away from us. Each time someone else picked - and it wasn't Rodney White - I started cheering. "The Cleveland Cavaliers select Desagana Diop" - YESSS!!!!! My dream come true - "with the 9th pick in the NBA draft, the Detroit Pistons select [the guy Michael Jordan said should be the #1 pick] Rodney White". WHOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Oh, well. I guess we can't pick 'em all, can we?
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

How rodney didn't end up being Al Harrington still befuddles me today after the way he played in college (besides the alcoholism thing).

If VY has proven himself as a winner, how is that not a safe bet?

Blog Entries
    If you can find a pro scout that says VY is a polished, NFL-ready QB, then I'll call him a safe bet.

He's raw, and he's a gamble.

He might be a good gamble for some team, I seem him as high risk/high reward, but I don't think the Lions can afford to go down that path right now, especially after just signing two other QBs.

If we hadn't signed Kitna and McCown, I'd be all for taking Leinart/Young/Cutler at 9.
    Find a new slant.

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOLA1
    If VY has proven himself as a winner, how is that not a safe bet?
    Mateen Cleaves?

Charlie Ward?

Any Nebraska quarterback in the history of the world?

Most Florida quarterbacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

VY was a fucking stud. Check the stats.

Mateen was a "leader" but his stats were never amazing.
    Same with Ward. He was a better football player.

Young beat the shit out of Michigan, probably the best defense that year
    and then USC, one of the greatest college teams of all time. What's the problem?

Stats/workouts/track record/good attitude

What the fuck is going on?

+ Reply to Thread