+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Cubs Thread

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    They can afford it so I dont care. Maybe this team will be worth watching next when Z isnt pitching.

Love the signing because this club needed a shot in the arm fast. The contract is ridiculous of course, but I liken it to the Magglio one for the Tigers. You need to overpay to turn things around sometimes because as historic a franchise as the Cubs are, I still don't see why top players would want to go to such a pathetic atmosphere of losing. Turn it around again and they'll be a top destination once again. Now if we can go one season without the injury we all know is coming to our top star.

Blog Entries
    The Cubs just agreed to terms with Cliff Floyd.
    Find a new slant.

"Turn it around again and it'll be a top destination once again"
    Defrocked, are you a recent Cubs Convert? We're talking 1908 since they were relevant, my friend. The myth of franchises like this is that just because they are in a big city, and just because they are old, they are something to be marveled at.
    At least the Tigers have won four World Series, and lost six more. The Cubs in most years are one of the worst teams MLB puts out there.
    Their ownership sits back, counts the money from all the sellouts, revels in the glory of playing all those day games, and puts out a perrennially poor product.
    I'm sick of Cubs fans acting like this franchise is a model of baseball royalty. They stink. They've always stunk, and they will forever stink.
    meanwhile, since the Cubs last won a world series, the St Louis Cardinals have won TEN.
    Sorry, I just know that Cubs fans have a cerebral hemmorhage at the mere mention of the second most prolific franchise in baseball.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

LET'S HEAR IT FOR MARK PRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh damn, he raised his hand to wave and got injured again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    I'm sick of Cubs fans acting like this franchise is a model of baseball royalty.
    Im a diehard lifelong Cubs fan and I know they suck, they always have sucked, and probably will always suck. Im sure anyone who pays attention to my MLB posts will back me on that. In a sick way, I kind of like their suckage.

Oh yeah, I dont even know who Floyd is. Is this a good signing?

Depends on how much you payed him.

Well the Cubs have pretty much unlimited money being that the Tribune pays the players, so that is irrelevant to me.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Think Henry Rodriguez.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Cuban submits application to purchase Cubs

Add Internet billionaire and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to the list of potential Chicago Cubs buyers.

"I submitted an app," Cuban said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Interested parties must submit an application to Major League Baseball to examine the team's finances. Cuban told the Chicago Tribune he sent in the application last week, although he wasn't sure of the date.

Tribune Co., which owns the team, announced in April it was selling itself for $8.2 billion to Chicago real estate mogul Sam Zell, who made the deal contingent on shedding noncore assets. That means the Cubs will go on the auction block at the end of the season -- a decision Tribune chairman and CEO Dennis FitzSimons has conceded was difficult but one that "really makes sense for our shareholders."

Several potential deep-pocketed bidders are expected to vie for the Cubs and possibly for Wrigley Field, including Cuban and Chicago native Jerry Colangelo, the Phoenix Suns CEO who once ran the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The Tribune, citing unnamed sources, reported Thursday the family of Omaha, Neb.-based TD Ameritrade Holding Corp.'s founder Joe Ricketts also was considering a bid. Ricketts family representatives declined to comment on the report when contacted by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Forbes magazine recently valued the National League's Cubs at $592 million, fifth-highest in baseball, although experts speculate the bidding could start at $600 million.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella seemed impressed with Cuban's credentials.

"I don't know him, but the guy basically, he's a winner. He's a character. He has obviously got the resources," Piniella said Friday.

"I do know that he's got a lot of charisma. He likes the competition and he likes to win. So he's certainly a very viable candidate to buy the club. But there are going to be a lot of people that want the club."

Piniella said he didn't think he'd have any problems working with a hands-on boss like Cuban, if that should ever happen.

"I can work for anybody. I've done this for 20 years, all I do is my job on the field. Let me tell you this, there are going to be a lot of people that have interest, and Mark is one of them," Piniella said.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

+ Reply to Thread