+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Cubs Thread

Overkill
    welcome to the further pansification of baseball

by the way why the hell did AJ get a fine?
    he got cold cocked, but backed off and didnt participate in the fight
    and he still gets fined

he might as well have smoked barrett back
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

"I don't know that I'm ever not gonna want to play."
    I think they should have given the 10 games to A.J. Pierzynski for somehow secretly deserving it.

This is one fucked up sports era we live in.

While AJ is an ass, 10 games is the right call. Any time a player takes offense to a very normal part of the game and lands a solid punch, you have to stop it. Fights in baseball are cool for us, but it's not like hockey where they're built into the rules.
    The only reason this seems like a long suspension is because it is inconsistent. For Varitek to only get 4 games after jacking A-Rod a couple years was a joke.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing that it gets knocked down to no more than 8 games on his appeal.
    Find a new slant.

Cubs' angst grows: 'Z' hurt?
    Zambrano's elbow hit by Cora's fungo bat; pitcher misses All-Star Game

Just when Cubs fans thought it couldn't get any worse, it has.

The team's only All-Star, pitcher Carlos Zambrano, was hit above the right elbow with a fungo bat during pregame practice Tuesday by White Sox coach Joey Cora.

Neither Zambrano nor Cora was available for comment afterward. Cora said through a Sox spokesman that Zambrano was doing an interview with a Venezuelan journalist behind the batting cage and Cora hit struck with a backswing while he was hitting ground balls to infielders.

X-rays taken at PNC Park were negative.

Members of Pittsburgh's medical staff examined Zambrano in the training room and pronounced the injury an "elbow tendon contusion," though they declined to say how serious the injury was. They also said the Cubs' medical staff had been alerted.

Of course, the Cubs' medical staff has had its share of problems with pitchers. Kerry Wood is on the disabled list with continued shoulder soreness that has been traced to the rotator cuff. Mark Prior was scratched from his last start before the All-Star Game after straining a muscle in his side.

Zambrano had been scheduled to pitch Saturday at Wrigley Field against the Mets. If he misses one or more turns, it will mean the Cubs' only veteran starter is Greg Maddux, though Glendon Rusch filled in for Prior on Sunday.

Zambrano was 3-0 with a 1.96 ERA in his five June starts.

National League manager Phil Garner knew little about the injury.

"We were already off the field [from practice]," he said. "I was told he has a bruise on his right arm. I don't know much more."

Zambrano did not appear in the game, even though he was scheduled to pitch.

"I had him scheduled to pitch the fourth and fifth innings, so I had to [readjust] everything," Garner said.
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....baseball-print

Blog Entries
    They need to blow that team up ASAP.

Greg Maddux getting traded may be the first step.

They can always re-sign him next year if they want to.
    Find a new slant.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    They need to blow that team up ASAP.

Greg Maddux getting traded may be the first step.

They can always re-sign him next year if they want to.
    first off, im a cubs fan. probably a rare sighting around here, but i cant help it, the only homer team i root for... shit happens. (fyi im rooting for the tigers because as a cubs fan, i hate the sox) greg maddux is one of the two reasons i still watch baseball, the other being clemens. so dont trade him. i coulda told everyone that this season was gonna suck beforehand because well, its the cubs. if they couldnt do anything back in the 80s with ryno dawson and grace etc then its not happening anytime soon unless they take a yankees approach. what team is there to blow up anyway? lee, maddux, anddddddd yeah. couple unproven pitchers who are always on the DL. cubs should just stick with their suckiness, and maybe in a couple years i can start going to games where i have some elbow room again and dont have to be an inconvenience to 20 people when i want a beer. those were the days

Cubs' GM: Baker's job safe for rest of season

Chicago Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Thursday that he will stick with Dusty Baker as his manager for the rest of the season.

"As far as the rest of the season goes, I let Dusty know today that he would be staying the rest of the year," said Hendry. "There won't be any discussions or questions to be asked about extensions now or anything like that. But I let him know that the next couple months, I felt it was best for the club that he complete the season and not worry about that."

Baker is in the fourth and final year of his contract for the Cubs, who are 39-61 this season.

The Cubs have been hurt by injuries to Kerry Wood, Mark Prior and Derrek Lee. Lee was placed on the 15-day disabled list Monday with inflammation in his right wrist. The 2005 NL batting champ had already missed 59 games earlier in the season with a broken wrist.

Wood has a partially torn rotator cuff and could miss the rest of the season. Prior, who started the season on the DL with a sore shoulder, is 0-4.

"I didn't even know there was uncertainty about things. I thought after the All-Star break that was pretty much all that needed to be said about his job status. This is just another vote of confidence," Cubs catcher Michael Barrett said.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2531904

Blog Entries

Cubs hire Piniella

I hope he starts immediately.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2628162

Report: Piniella agrees to manage Cubs

ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- Lou Piniella apparently will take his fiery brand of managing to "the Windy City."

Chicago radio station ESPN 1000 reported Monday that the Chicago Cubs have agreed to a three-year deal with Piniella.

Financial terms have not been finalized, but the radio station is reporting that Piniella will receive approximately $3 million annually. The Cubs officially will announce the hiring of Piniella on Tuesday at Wrigley Field.

Piniella, 63, faces a difficult task in turning around a Cubs franchise which posted a 66-96 record in 2006 and has reached the postseason just twice in the last 17 years.

The subject of numerous recent rumors, Piniella owns a career record of 1,519-1,420 in 19 seasons with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, the Seattle Mariners, the Cincinnati Reds and the New York York Yankees. He guided the Reds to a World Series championship in 1990 and twice was named American League Manager of the Year while with the Mariners.

On Friday, Piniella took himself out of the running for the San Francisco Giants' opening. He has also spoken to the Washington Nationals and Texas Rangers, although he said the Washington job is not an ideal fit.

Piniella, 63, has been working in television since parting ways with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays after the 2005 season following three difficult years as manager.

The Cubs chose not to bring back manager Dusty Baker when his contract expired.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread